Thread: Whattsa Who'sa Bodhisattva? - Maitreya

Whattsa Who'sa Bodhisattva? - Maitreya

MAITREYA is said to be the future Buddha, the successor to the historic Shakyamuni Buddha. It's said that his 'coming' may happen today, or perhaps in a few thousand (or perhaps millions) of years. In the meantime, he awaits his return, residing in Tushita Heaven. Yes, there are some elements to Maitreya rather like the 'Second Coming' of Jesus. Maitreya is taken by many as something like a Buddhist Messiah.

He is often seen seated in a pose somewhat reminiscent of Rodan's "THE THINKER", but with softer shape and expression, sometimes tranquil and sometimes crying, contemplating the suffering of sentient beings. In fact, Maitreya's name may be derived from the Sanskrit word Maitri (Metta in Pali), 'loving-kindness'.

Sometimes he is seen in this form ...

... perhaps from after he let himself go. However, the origins of this popular "Laughing Buddha" are actually found in a figure called Hotei from China, a jolly fat monk who happened to be a devotee of Maitreya, and whose image became mixed into the Maitreya legend over time. In any event, even if not really "Maitreya", the image is very popular in Chinese Buddhist temples ... and Chinese restaurants. One popular belief is that if one rubs his fat belly on the 1st day of the Lunar Year, it will bring forth wealth, good luck and prosperity.

(In my case, I typically think of the Laughing Buddha when I break my diet ... often at a Chinese restaurant.)

Maitreya was frequently taken as a cult symbol driving peasant rebellions and other mass movements for social change or revolution in China in centuries past.

In so many ways, Maitreya is simply a symbol of future hope and change.

Today’s Sit-A-Long video follows at this link. Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 15 to 35 minutes is recommended.

Last edited by Jundo; 10-07-2013 at 02:36 AM.

Re: Whattsa Who'sa Bodhisattva? - Maitreya

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    (In my case, I typically think of the Laughing Buddha when I break my diet ... often at a Chinese restaurant.)
    :lol: Me too, me too.

Very inspiring talk. Thanks Jundo.

gassho
    Greg (a future buddha too ops: )

Maitreya may be sitting up/out/in there on his tush in Tushita Heaven, but us guys here ought to abide by the old Yiddish adage: Toches ahfen tish! :shock: and get down to work without waiting around for Tushy Heaven to fall on us. :lol:

Gassho,

Seishin Kyrill

Jundo wrote:
    However, the origins of this popular "Laughing Buddha" are actually found a figure called Hotei from China, a jolly fat monk who happened to be a devotee of Maitreya, and whose image became mixed into the Maitreya legend over time.
    Thank you for explaining this because I thought that Hotei was the Buddha to come.

Gassho,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JRBrisson
    Jundo wrote:
    However, the origins of this popular "Laughing Buddha" are actually found a figure called Hotei from China, a jolly fat monk who happened to be a devotee of Maitreya, and whose image became mixed into the Maitreya legend over time.
    Thank you for explaining this because I thought that Hotei was the Buddha to come.

Gassho,
    John
    Yes I found this interesting as well! I had always thought Hotei was a real monk who was embellished upon posthumous.

Lovely talk today Jundo. Really enjoy these Bodhisattva talks.

Gassho,

Shawn

Isn't Maitreya only required, when the Dharma is extinct again?

There will be many people becoming Buddhas on Earth before the Dharma is extinct again right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tree
    Isn't Maitreya only required, when the Dharma is extinct again?

There will be many people becoming Buddhas on Earth before the Dharma is extinct again right?
    Oh, well, might also say that the Dharma can become extinct in each moment when we lose it in ignorance. greed and anger ... and a new Buddha is born each moment when we find Wisdom and Compassion.

Gassho, J

Oh, well, might also say that the Dharma can become extinct in each moment when we lose it in ignorance. greed and anger ... and a new Buddha is born each moment when we find Wisdom and Compassion.
    _/_

Thank you for your touch of realism on the fantastic. Spending a year in the Tibetan tradition gave me a lot of mythology study, and not to say that the metaphors aren't beautiful, but I was less apt to believe in the layers and layers of cosmology. But, I'm just me so who knows what's out there :shock:

Anyways, I liked this. I considered myself an activist, and a vocal one (and sometimes choleric/vulgar one at that :P ). While I find it easy to be worked up over what need be changed, I sometimes find it hard to reconcile that I should be ok with what is and the fact that things need to be done. It think it may be the fact that I'm 20, and the fact that I haven't quite gotten used to my no-sided mouth. Thanks again for this.

Gassho,
    Myoken

One moment of sitting, one moment of enlightenment, in that one moment we manifest perfect Buddha hood. In that moment we manifest Maiterya.

Gassho

Seiryu

I simply love this teaching. We sit/live with what there is.

I am sure that if we work/study/ hard and we live by the precepts, and if enough people do that everyday, a better world awaits us.

It's not a matter of metaphysical stuff. It's a matter of reaping the fruits of labor and consciousness.

Thank you for the teaching, Jundo Sensei.

Hello friends,

Maitreya is near and dear to me. Here and now in each moment, he is waiting to manifest, and already manifest. Look closely!

Metta and Gassho,

Saijun

Thank you Jundo.

Gassho,
    Dosho

"That schmo?" LOL... great talk.

Gassho,
    Matt

Thanks Jundo

There's a large-ish statue of Hotei in one our local sushi places. I always quiz my wife with "Who is that?" when we enter. hahahah

Thank you Jundo.

Gassho,

Risho

Hi, Jundo,

"nothing is needed to be changed, because from the really beginning, all is the Buddha itself" and "actually there are a lot of things in this world need to be changed"

these two ideas seems to be different, or contradiction. But I was really inspired when you said that both was right.

thanks Jundo

Gassho, Mujo

Quote Originally Posted by Shui_Di
    Hi, Jundo,

"nothing is needed to be changed, because from the really beginning, all is the Buddha itself" and "actually there are a lot of things in this world need to be changed"

these two ideas seems to be different, or contradiction. But I was really inspired when you said that both was right.

thanks Jundo

Gassho, Mujo
    Hi Shui Di,

You show up around here about as often as Maitreya comes to earth! But, both are wise and always welcome!

Good to hear from you, my friend.

Gassho, Jundo

Good to hear from you too Jundo...

Nice to come to treeleaf... :')

Gassho, Mujo

My mom has always had laughing Buddhas around the house... nice to know about him

Thanks very much for the teaching jundo.

Gassho

Ray

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

This was an uplifting talk, both that the Buddha to come was once a slow learner, and that there is hope for the future. Thank you, Jundo!

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday