Thread: Naming Ceremony

Naming Ceremony

Hi Taigu, Jundo and everyone,
    I was thinking of having a naming ceremony for my two sons in the Buddhist tradition. Both my wife and I feel they need a party to welcome them. Just a party would be nice, but a little ceremony is always a good place to start the celebration.

Has anyone been at a naming ceremony? What was it like? Or does anyone have a text I could use to base ours on? Not sure where to start.

All suggestions welcome.
    In gassho with thanks
    Soen

Re: Naming Ceremony

Quote Originally Posted by soendoshin
    Hi Taigu, Jundo and everyone,
    I was thinking of having a naming ceremony for my two sons in the Buddhist tradition. Both my wife and I feel they need a party to welcome them. Just a party would be nice, but a little ceremony is always a good place to start the celebration.

Has anyone been at a naming ceremony? What was it like? Or does anyone have a text I could use to base ours on? Not sure where to start.

All suggestions welcome.
    In gassho with thanks
    Soen
    Hi Soen,

Yes, I have access to the script for some such ceremonies from various Soto Zen Sangha, and something will be appropriate. I will write you and Taigu privately and see what you wish to do.

Gassho, J

This is a wonderful idea,
    and at the same time, how shall I put it, names are already a very big deal... but true names are invitation to shed them off,
    yes... the nameless. My-your-everybody true name.
    And, at the same time, it is true that a child needs a name, as much as anything else. :?:

Why should it be Buddhist then?
    Why not make it happening outside of bigger tags and names?
    Why a ceremony and why not?
    Who for? :wink:

Digging is needed here.

I never wanted my daughter to go Buddhist or have any connection with this path.
    If she wants it, up to her.
    And great if does, and great if she doesn't. :mrgreen:

Imitating daddy sitting...Loss of time IMHO
    Sawaki Kodo in his stupid wisdom used to say: give sweets to kids. :twisted: :roll:

A ceremony?...

Life is already it.

Becoming a priest ( what you are already) is a different ball game.

Well... I don't know.

If you really think-feel that it is what is needed, then it's great. Go ahead.

gassho

Taigu

Hi Taigu and Jundo,
    Thank you for your words. Some very good questions, teacher.
    Why ceremony?
    To celebrate what is. To acknowledge what is already there. To have a party. To bow. To eat and drink. Une fête.
    For who?
    The Child, Dad, Mum, Grandfather, Grandmother, for everybody; not separate.
    Why Buddhist?
    True. I do not want to make my children Buddhist, Catholic or anything else. But, I am their Dad and I am a Buddhist. I speak English. I talk to them with English words and welcome them with Buddhist words. My father is a devote Catholic. Maybe he should say some Catholic words as part of the ceremony. I have no time for the Church but respect his faith. My children have no faith and so it shall remain, until they choose one or none. I will not encourage them to sit Zazen with me (or discourage them, indeed).

Ceremony is a door we walk through; a door we have already walked through, but in a ritual dance of celebration. All moments are sacred, and in ceremony we remind ourselves of that.

So, why not a party?
    Gassho,
    Soen