Thread: June 25th, 2011 Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

June 25th, 2011 Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

Hello All,

NO LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST TODAY AS JUNDO HAS INFLUENZA and FEVER. I DO NOT WANT YOU TO CATCH IT! (Actually, I am in bed). I HAVE POSTED A RECENT SITTING BELOW, AND I WILL BE SITTING WITH YOU FROM BED! Gassho, JUNDO

FEAR NOT as sitting is recorded in 'REAL TIME' and available for full participation 'on demand' at any time after that, no different from the 'live' sitting :

'REAL TIME' recorded 'ANY TIME' version link is here:

OUR 90 MINUTE SITTING SCHEDULE IS AS FOLLOWS:

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English ONLY) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 FOUR VOWS, & VERSE OF ATONEMENT

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please download and print out the words of the Chants we will recite at the following link:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2231

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

Re: June 25th, 2011 Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

Hello All,

NO LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST TODAY AS JUNDO HAS INFLUENZA and FEVER. I DO NOT WANT YOU TO CATCH IT! (Actually, I am in bed). I HAVE POSTED A LINK TO A RECENT SITTING, AND I WILL BE SITTING WITH YOU FROM BED! Gassho, JUNDO

Gassho, J

Jundo, get well soon.
    Do those pesky bugs have Buddha Nature?
    Gassho,
    Soen

Mu

Hope you feel better fast, Jundo.

Hi Jundo Sensei,

Sorry to hear you're in bed with a bug.....hope it doesn't hog all the sheets! :lol:

Get better soon!

Gassho,
    John

May you be at ease in all your ills!

Please take great care!

Gassho
    Shohei

Jundo,

Get some rest and we'll see you on the flip side.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Thanks for sitting with us, even though being ill,Jundo,
    thanks everybody, have a great weekend,
    _()_
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lin
    Thanks for sitting with us, even though being ill,Jundo,
    thanks everybody, have a great weekend,
    _()_
    Peter
    I reclined this Zazenkai, but the antibiotics are working now. Thank you everyone.

Best wishes Jundo . Will sit as silently as possible so as not to disturb!

I love it but hopefully your doing better than the Buddha in this picture. Isn't the "reclining" Buddha the image of Buddha on his death bed? :shock:

Gassho,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JRBrisson
    I love it but hopefully your doing better than the Buddha in this picture. Isn't the "reclining" Buddha the image of Buddha on his death bed? :shock:

Gassho,
    John
    'Cept the Buddha did not quite believe in death ... birth either. So, no problem ... cause no problem to have. I'd say we are all on our deathbed/birthbed each moment too. That is why we can constantly practice Zazen reclining, walking, sitting, standing or jumping up and down.**

Gassho, J

** However, sitting is best, and walking ... cause we tend to fall asleep if reclining, exhausted if standing, and get dizzy if jumping up and down.

However, sitting is best, and walking ... cause we tend to fall asleep if reclining, exhausted if standing, and get dizzy if jumping up and down.
    :lol:

Hope you're feeling better, Jundo. An honor to sit with y'all, as always.

It seems as though Ustream has changed their free video streaming to include more advertisements. I used to have to watch one at the beginning (which would usually interrupt Jundo's opening), but be left alone after that. This go around, I was waylaid about four times by ads for the Georgia Lottery. While accepting that we sit with what is, talking Canada Goose puppets were not an ideal complement to shikantaza....

gassho,
    Shujin

Shujin wrote:
    It seems as though Ustream has changed their free video streaming to include more advertisements. I used to have to watch one at the beginning (which would usually interrupt Jundo's opening), but be left alone after that. This go around, I was waylaid about four times by ads for the Georgia Lottery. While accepting that we sit with what is, talking Canada Goose puppets were not an ideal complement to shikantaza....
    Hi Shujin,
    I haven't had this problem yet. I will be sitting tomorrow morning. If it happens I'll be sure to note it as well.

As for the lottery......Perhaps it's a sign
    Gassho,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JRBrisson
    Shujin wrote:
    Hi Shujin,
    I haven't had this problem yet. I will be sitting tomorrow morning. If it happens I'll be sure to note it as well.

As for the lottery......Perhaps it's a sign
    Gassho,
    John
    Hi Shujin,

You mean video ads that actually interrupt the netcast with a commercial (not just the little banners at the bottom of the screen)? Hmmm. This is something I had not heard before. Do they just come at the beginning, or at intervals (and do you know the intervals)? If anyone else experiences this, please let us know. Hmmm.

We sit with what is ... but try to avoid the lottery ads if we can.

Gassho, J

Hi All,
    Here is my report. Shujin is right that there is an overabundance of ads which can not be disabled. As he says this must be a very new thing as no one else before his sitting had any problems. I have NEVER had this happen in any my other sittings in the past either.
    The ones I got were for Visa pre-pay cards. I kept a pen and paper next to my Zafu to note when they happened to make it easier for Jundo to look into it. They came at intervals of about 1 every 16 minutes
    Here are the times they interrupted the Zazenkai

1st one at 00:16:20 (during Zazen)

2nd @ 00:32:25 (Zazen)

3rd @ 00:47:23 (Kinhin)

4th @ 01:03:30 (Zazen)

5th @ 01:19:35 (Zazen)

There is no way to turn it off. As a matter of fact after they have interupted with the video ad(which is at least a few decibles louder :shock: ) the ad banner that was once turned off comes back and must be disabled again after every time!
    In all it was a very distracting problem wich I fear will be worse during our next 4 hour version scheduled for this weekend!

Gassho,
    John

Well, the only way to get rid of these new ads at ustream would cost many thousands of dollars a year. So, after all these years of good residence there ... we will have to move.

This is the most likely candidate right now (there are a few others), and I will have it up and running (I expect) in time for Saturday's Zazenkai. I am testing it now to see if they have any similar issues/limitations. The interface appears to be very close to Ustream.

http://www.freedocast.com

All things are change.

Gassho, J

Hi Jundo -- John pretty well summed it up (thanks, John, for working it out). To quote one of my favorite B-movies: "I hate to be the barrier of bad news." As an added bonus with Freedocast, I can watch the India v West Indies cricket match.

gassho,
    Shujin