Thread: Book on emptiness?

Book on emptiness?

I'm reading Realizing Genjokoan, and the author discusses emptiness, which he describes as the "reality of impermanence" and the " lack of independent existence". These are essential concepts that I would like to explore more, but searching on Amazon, I only find books discussing these concepts from the Tibetan perspective. Any recommendation for a book about emptiness from a Zen point of view? If not, any recommendation for any book on the subject? Thanks.

Re: Book on emptiness?

Dear Kirk,

I do think that Red Pine's book on the Heart Sutra gives one a nice introduction to the whole ballpark of Prajna Paramita literature and emptiness among other things. It is also highly readable...as far as these topics go.

Gassho,

Hans

I 2nd the suggestion for the Red Pine book, and I'll add The Heart of Understanding by TNH. While it's not a Soto explanation of emptiness, it is written in a concise, simple manner and can be read in one or two sittings. It certainly is not as deep and broad in its coverage of the Heart Sutra as the Pine book is, but it could be helpful as a text to enhance other perspectives. One more book to help triangulate the ineffable . . .

Gassho,
    Eika

Quote Originally Posted by Eika
    I 2nd the suggestion for the Red Pine book, and I'll add The Heart of Understanding by TNH. While it's not a Soto explanation of emptiness, it is written in a concise, simple manner and can be read in one or two sittings. It certainly is not as deep and broad in its coverage of the Heart Sutra as the Pine book is, but it could be helpful as a text to enhance other perspectives. One more book to help triangulate the ineffable . . .

Gassho,
    Eika
    I'll third these two suggestion!!

Although I would also say, go for a book in the Tibetan perspective. It is still going to be the same, just using different language, and it is always good to hear from other schools about topics such as these...

Gassho

Seiryu

Quote Originally Posted by Seiryu

Although I would also say, go for a book in the Tibetan perspective. It is still going to be the same, just using different language, and it is always good to hear from other schools about topics such as these...
    Yes, I guess that makes sense. It's just that in another life I read lots of Tibetan books, and they sometimes stray into superstitious arguments that I don't care for any more. (Listing all their gods and the like.)