Thread: 10/6 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Hsüeh-Tou

10/6 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Hsüeh-Tou

Hi.

By revealing a hidden meaning, not a hidden teaching, he sees things just as they are.

Cook from 245
    Hixon from 230

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Re: 10/6 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Tsung-Chüeh

I'm a bit confused. I think this is supposed to be Xuedou Zhijian, as his story is told from 245 in Keizan/Cook and 230 in Hixon. Tsung-Chueh was last week, the chapters before this. Right?

Re: 10/6 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Hsüeh-Tou

Quote Originally Posted by AlanLa
    I'm a bit confused. I think this is supposed to be Xuedou Zhijian, as his story is told from 245 in Keizan/Cook and 230 in Hixon. Tsung-Chueh was last week, the chapters before this. Right?
    Nah! All crane standing in before the moon, right? (hehe /me ducks)
    Just a copy paste error- right pages and writing just a subject snafu

Self-hidden meaning! Ringing like a bell at what point striker meets rim, bowl-rim meets air(and try to seperate them?)!...all of it already ringing - Hsueh was struck (or already ringing) and was fully aware! Just this, all along

Gassho
    Shohei

Hi.

Eh, yes, you're right, i'm left.
    All fixed? ok?

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Oh, I get it now. Mis-naming this chapter thread was just a way to reveal the hidden meaning behind the lineage, that it is all One Body manifest now. Call the chapter thread any name you want. Maybe it should be called "Plum Blossoms," as Taigu has been teaching us lately, or maybe Buddha. Yeah, that's a good name. But Hsueh-Tou or Xuedou Zhijian or even Wukong are all good too. Why haven't I been told this before? Very sneaky, guys 8) Gassho.

Anyway, to paraphrase Shakespeare - A rose by any other name does not hide the meaning or the essence of the rose

Ok, now that I got all that chapter naming stuff out of my head, I wanted to attempt revisiting the essence of what's going on here. Hsueh-Tou is like the student that hears the lesson day after day after day and says every day, "Yeah, yeah, yeah, I got it." Then one day it finally sinks in, really sinks in, because there was some particular variation from the teacher that really rang true for him, at which point he says, laughing and crying, "Oh :shock: I really do get it now!" All that prior stuff was just preparation for this final full realization/transmission experience. I think our practice is a lot like that. I know I read Zen stuff here and elsewhere and go, "Yeah, yeah, yeah, read that before, got it." And then every so often I go "Oh :shock: that's what it's about!" Hsueh-Tou, dude, I can relate.

Hi.

Yes, it is a lot like experiencing a rainbow, you experience it, you experience it and then... you EXPERIENCE it...
    Illusive things these rainbows...

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

And if it's a DOUBLE RAINBOW you make a Youtube video and get famous :mrgreen:

The Tathagata truly has no secret body of teachings.
    It takes a lot of listening before the penny drops! I always had a problem with those hidden 3D images within the dots and it feels a bit like that here at times. More listening and more dropping 'thinking' and the 'my take on it'.

Hello all,

Slowly trying to catch up in the book club….I hope no one minds me adding these to the discussions, but posting does help me with the readings…and I want to finish these books.

The mention of the “body” reminded me of Red Pine’s take on the Diamond Sutra. In an interview he stated:

“Most people assume the Buddha’s teaching is about emptiness
    where the Diamond Sutra is just about the opposite of that. Most of the
    Perfection of Wisdom texts take this point of view, whereas the Diamond
    Sutra takes the opposite point of view. I sort of think the Buddha was
    thinking that day that maybe a lot of people are getting attached to emptiness,
    so today I’m going to teach everything is a body, but everything
    is also a part of the body of Buddha.”

He goes on to explain about this body,

“This is a very big body — but the Buddha is trying to teach
    people that through the body of the Buddha you gain a great body of merit
    and that will be your body and this body is also no different than the
    body the Buddha gained when he became enlightened. But that body itself
    can become an attachment if you don’t get beyond that. All of it
    is based on the idea that the quickest way to practice is about giving,
    about being compassionate.”

Interview here for anyone who is curious....http://www.kyotojournal.org/interviews/redpine.html

I found Red Pine’s twist on all of this to be rather provocative and I have never quite heard the teachings phrased in this way.
    Gassho,
    Jisen/BrianW