Thread: The End of Suffering

The End of Suffering

...sometimes (like today), for me, it's as simple as making a cup of tea. It's a beautiful afternoon ritual; clean cup, tea leaves, hot water, stir. Steep, strain, drink, breathe.

Ahhhhh.

Then back to work, answer phones, help customers, fix problems, more phones, answer emails, talk to boss, close down, go home.

Sometimes I don't like to admit (even to myself) how far off balance I can get over the course of the day. But all it takes to remind me is the night-and-day difference between Saijun before afternoon tea and Saijun after afternoon tea.

Metta,

Wobbly Saijun

Re: The End of Suffering

We all do , Saijun. What I just noticed after years of practice is that I don't linger too long in this. I get out of it rather fast.
    We care less and less and therefore find the ability to come back home more quickly.
    The end of suffering is a bit like the core of the flame. Right in the middle of confusion, pain, distress there is a very balanced space. The eye of the hurricane. The centre of the wheel. It tuns and spins, but the centre is motionless.

gassho

Taigu

I get out of balance a lot. I tend to let the day swing me around quite a bit.

for me, it's as simple as making a cup of tea. It's a beautiful afternoon ritual; clean cup, tea leaves, hot water, stir. Steep, strain, drink, breathe.
    Hi Saijun,
    Your ritual is music to my ears! It is most wonderful that this simple beverage can have such a profound affect on our mind and body. That's the easy part.
    Then back to work, answer phones
    The hard part it to know that tea cup and telephone are no different and can be handled with the same reverence. Make even a ritual out of picking up the phone. This is the aim of the Japanese Tea Ceremony. It's principals encompass all mannerisms of life inside and outside of the tea room.

Gassho,
    John

I loose the path a hundred times a day,
    I sometimes notice it when going to bed,
    having lost the way for half of the day,
    having a tea ... ahhhh
    _()_
    Peter

With nothing to attain, what is this “loss” of which we speak?
    ...and who is this “I” dragging it to and fro?
    The path is still in the mind where you blazed it.
    Where else could it go?
    ...now enjoying a good cup of Bodhidharma's eyelids and lashes, that's another matter altogether. Vast holiness; nothing empty. :lol:
    Gassho,
    Engyo

Engyo wrote:
    now enjoying a good cup of Bodhidharma's eyelids and lashes, that's another matter altogether. Vast holiness; nothing empty
    I enjoy the legend of the bodhidharma and tea _/_

Gassho,
    John

Thanks for this.

Every day it strikes me that this practice is endless.

That's fine.

Gassho,
    Soen

Quote Originally Posted by Engyo
    ...nothing empty. :lol:
    ...except my cup :|

Metta,

Saijun