Thread: Satori, Delusion, and Other Lofty Things

Satori, Delusion, and Other Lofty Things

Hello friends,

Quote Originally Posted by Sodo Yokoyama
    "Satori is being enlightened to the fact that we are deluded. There is then the desire, however small, to stop these deluded acts. That is how ordinary people are saved by zazen. So we realize, beyond a doubt, our ordinariness through our zazen practice, and any departure from zazen (Buddha) will give rise to the inability to deal with these delusions and hence we will lose our way. We can say that the world has gone astray because it can't deal with its delusions...All the troubles in this world, political, economic and so forth, are created from situations in which the awareness of one's ordinariness is absent.
    I would like to focus on the first three sentences above.

"Satori is being enlightened to the fact that we are deluded."
    This seems an interesting and clever way to calm people down, keep goal-less Zazen at the front of the practice; he seems to be saying, "this 'Satori experience' that you've been craving? You ran right past it! When you came home to the Dharma, when you realized that the Buddha-Way was a way worth following, that was Satori. Nothing higher than coming home to the Dharma."

"There is then the desire, however small, to stop these deluded acts. That is how ordinary people are saved by zazen."
    Ordinary people, thus aware of great delusion, become Buddha. Following the ancient path, newly uncovered, each of us strives to improve; becoming more skillful, letting go. Gradually learning that there is nowhere to go and nothing to get to, even as we walk the path to Samma-Sambodhi. Letting go of views, concepts, notions, becoming completely at home in life as-it-is, realizing that nothing is holy, but life is our temple. Burning incense for the Buddha, and realizing that the incense is also Buddha.

Sit sit sit sit sit. Sew sew sew DAMN! rip rip rip, sew sew sew. Nothing special, only this. But it is just this "only this" that manifests Buddha in each moment.

Just my (deluded) musings, and I would love to hear yours.

Metta,

Saijun

Re: Satori, Delusion, and Other Lofty Things

Thanks for this Saijun.
    It always seems to me that we are just infused with news of what others say is happening in the world.
    I always found that my little corner of the world contained none of this news, unless I put it there.
    After spending 3 months out of the 'news loop' with like-minded people, I found that something quite different came about that had nothing to do with this mediated culture. That's why I practice zen. Simple everyday acts become miraculous and all people are simply beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Saijun
    Hello friends,

Quote Originally Posted by Sodo Yokoyama
    "Satori is being enlightened to the fact that we are deluded. There is then the desire, however small, to stop these deluded acts. That is how ordinary people are saved by zazen. So we realize, beyond a doubt, our ordinariness through our zazen practice, and any departure from zazen (Buddha) will give rise to the inability to deal with these delusions and hence we will lose our way. We can say that the world has gone astray because it can't deal with its delusions...All the troubles in this world, political, economic and so forth, are created from situations in which the awareness of one's ordinariness is absent.
    We are deluded. Most of of the time. Convinced about this or that. As someone said "Don't let anyone decieve you."

However, I don't think some people should kick themselves becasue they are not realizing the Buddha way. It will come, and if it doesn't come, it will go. Either way, as long as we keep practicing, I think that's fine. No one is smarter then anyone else, we are just dust in the wind.

Just my (deluded) musings, and I would love to hear yours.

Metta,

Saijun
    You definitely don't want to hear mine, I've got pages of them.

"Flax!"

Gassho

Quote Originally Posted by Saijun

"Satori is being enlightened to the fact that we are deluded."
    This seems an interesting and clever way to calm people down, keep goal-less Zazen at the front of the practice; he seems to be saying, "this 'Satori experience' that you've been craving? You ran right past it! When you came home to the Dharma, when you realized that the Buddha-Way was a way worth following, that was Satori. Nothing higher than coming home to the Dharma."
    What is "Satori?" "Enlightenment?" ... Much like asking "What is Love?!!?". Can it be defined in a few words? A simply formula? One experience of relationship? Even the greatest Shakespeare Sonnet does not hold a candle to "Love", so with "Satori"!

Yokoyama Roshi says "Satori is being enlightened to the fact that we are deluded."

However, I will pepper on more words ...

Satori, Enlightenment, is also seeing RIGHT THROUGH delusion, through and through ... PIERCING who we are, think we are as small little 'selfs' ... you, me and Yokoyama Roshi all Just That! How ORDINARY, How MIRACULOUS! Amid this messy world of greed, anger and delusion ... not a drop of greed, anger, delusion from the start, 'cept by one's own making.

"There is then the desire, however small, to stop these deluded acts. That is how ordinary people are saved by zazen."
    Ordinary people, thus aware of great delusion, become Buddha. Following the ancient path, newly uncovered, each of us strives to improve; becoming more skillful, letting go. Gradually learning that there is nowhere to go and nothing to get to, even as we walk the path to Samma-Sambodhi. Letting go of views, concepts, notions, becoming completely at home in life as-it-is, realizing that nothing is holy, but life is our temple. Burning incense for the Buddha, and realizing that the incense is also Buddha.
    Yes!

And so we get up from the Zafu, live so as to see through delusions as best we can ... not be deluded as best we can. Saving All Sentient Beings along the way ... you, me and Yokoyama Roshi too. Such constant practice is enlightenment too. Seeing right through delusion never there from the start is enlightenment ... living undeluded amid a world of delusion is enlightenment ... all Enlightenment.

We do as we can to fix diligently all the troubles in this life, this world, "political, economic and so forth" ... at home, with our relationships too ... all while seeing that there was never any "trouble" from the first.

Sit sit sit sit sit. Sew sew sew DAMN! rip rip rip, sew sew sew. Nothing special, only this. But it is just this "only this" that manifests Buddha in each moment.
    Yes! (with not a damn thing in need of 'damning')

Gassho, J
    ]

Great post. Just to sit and be sat.

Gassho,
    Matt

Same idea, but:
    Before satori (or enlightenment, realization, etc.), just chop wood; carry water. After delusion, just chop wood; carry water. After all, who is carrying wood; chopping water? No difference between sage and ordinary, so nothing to attain. That just leaves the work...practice and exercise.
    Gassho,
    Engyo

Quote Originally Posted by Engyo
    ... That just leaves the work...practice and exercise.
    Yep, and as practice somewhat includes work and exercise...so just practice.
    But wholeheartedly. Thats the mystery, nothing to achieve and still so much
    to do :-D
    _()_
    Peter