Thread: Transcriptions

Transcriptions

Hello friends,

I've got a small problem, and was wondering if one of you would be so kind as to help me; I only have one computer, and my wife is currently using it for finals/thesis/internship/more productive things. I normally check in during my breaks at work, but the computers here don't allow streaming video! As such, I've been unable to catch the last couple of sit-a-longs, and the dharma talk at the last zazenkai (I sat it, though, just following schedule).

If any of you have the inclination, would it be possible to get a transcription of any of the talks (not just these, but any!). I should have sound again eventually, but at the moment it appears to be impossible.

Thanks, and

Metta,

Saijun

Re: Transcriptions

Quote Originally Posted by Saijun
    As such, I've been unable to catch the last couple of sit-a-longs, and the dharma talk at the last zazenkai (I sat it, though, just following schedule).

If any of you have the inclination, would it be possible to get a transcription of any of the talks (not just these, but any!). I should have sound again eventually, but at the moment it appears to be impossible.

Thanks, and

Metta,

Saijun
    Oh, I think that can wait ... and I sure would not ask anyone to transcribe things!

Maybe the pod cast will serve?

http://treeleaf.podbean.com/

Gee, it sounds like you may go into withdrawal symptoms without a "sit-a-long" fix! :wink:

Gassho, Jundo

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Quote Originally Posted by Saijun
    As such, I've been unable to catch the last couple of sit-a-longs, and the dharma talk at the last zazenkai (I sat it, though, just following schedule).

Thanks, and

Metta,

Saijun
    Oh, I think that can wait ... and I sure would not ask anyone to transcribe things!

Maybe the pod cast will serve?

http://treeleaf.podbean.com/

Gee, it sounds like you may go into withdrawal symptoms without a "sit-a-long" fix! :wink:

Gassho, Jundo
    Hello Jundo,

Great! Now I just have to figure out how the whole "podcast thingy" works, so I can get it on one of Heather's old iPods!

Thanks,

(Jonsin') Saijun

Saijun,

I can type fast, it would be no big deal. Which ones do you want? Until I hear from you, I'll start with the most recent one.

Gassho,

Jennifer

Jennifer sounds like a heart of gold! That is c-o-m-p-a-s-s-i-o-n!

Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Fire
    Jennifer sounds like a heart of gold! That is c-o-m-p-a-s-s-i-o-n!
    Quite so.

Jennifer, unless you particularly want to transcribe them (something I was just thinking I should do earlier this month, and will start as soon as I have sound back), I can just use the podcast.

Thank you.

Metta,

Saijun

Saijun,

Perhaps the podcast would be best. I started typing out this week's dharma talk just to see if I could do it (heh . . . my secretary days are further behind me than I thought ops: :lol: ) and while I can, I think hearing it comes out way better than just reading it.

Still, if anybody ever wants a particular talk transcribed, send me a PM.

Gassho,

Jennifer

Perhaps if anyone had one of those cool android phones with the Speach to Text they could record it and send it via email? Very little work. All you would have to do is hold the phone up to the computer speaker and it would write everything it heard down for you! I wonder it would work?? Might be worth the experiment for anyone who has one.

Gassho,
    John

Yes, well, and in 500 years people will be pondering over the "mysterious and profound Zen pronouncements" in the "Jundo Goroku" ("Collected Sayings of Master Jundo") because the Android Ap rendered ...

Shall we sit with that?

as

"Shall we spit on a hat?" :shock:

And don't think that didn't happen in the past, as things were hand transcribed from notes and memory (without the benefit of a taped version) and then translated from generation to generation, language to language. That's why some of the old Koan seem weirder than they may actually have been at the time! Reminds me of my recent comment on Suzuki Roshi's "Zen Mind, Beginners Mind" ...

viewtopic.php?p=52199#p52199

Anyway, unless there is urgent need (or unless I am dead, and some of my devoted students want to compose that "Jundo Goroku" 8) ), I would just listen to the podcast ... or wait for the wife to be done ... or go to the library ... or, better, Just Sit ...

... or spit on a hat!

Gassho, J

Yes, well, and in 500 years people will be pondering over the "mysterious and profound Zen pronouncements" in the "Jundo Goroku" ("Collected Sayings of Master Jundo") because the Android Ap rendered ...

Shall we sit with that?

as

"Shall we spit on a hat?" :shock:

And don't think that didn't happen in the past, as things were hand transcribed from notes and memory (without the benefit of a taped version) and then translated from generation to generation, language to language. That's why some of the old Koan seem weirder than they may actually have been at the time! Reminds me of my recent comment on Suzuki Roshi's "Zen Mind, Beginners Mind" ...

viewtopic.php?p=52199#p52199
    Hello Jundo,

Jundo Goroku, Case 1: Jundo's Hat

Anyway, unless there is urgent need (or unless I am dead, and some of my devoted students want to compose that "Jundo Goroku" 8) ), I would just listen to the podcast ... or wait for the wife to be done ... or go to the library ... or, better, Just Sit ...

... or spit on a hat!

Gassho, J
    I'm actually busy making lemonade (and lemon drops, and lemon pie! ), re-establishing a couple of daily rituals that have been neglected since the move (more sewing, longer sitting, an evening walk to watch the sunset, tea before bedtime, copying Sandokai, and fiddling with Safari, as I don't know the first thing about Apple's products :shock: ).

So...forced, open ended retreat! I can work with that!

Metta,

Saijun

Jundo wrote:

Shall we sit with that?

as

"Shall we spit on a hat?"
    I could see that happening! I did wonder how much Buddhist lingo would be programed into the software. Even the automatic spell checker on my phone(which is how i make the majority of my posts) doesn't recognize words like shikantaza, metta, gassho, etc. Gassho for example would automatically be changed to things ranging from goat to hawaii :shock:
    I found it so funny I was tempted to leave the corrections as they were! Just as an inside joke. But everyone outside that joke would probably just think I was nuts :shock:
    Oh, not that I'm not, I just didn't want anyone to figure that out so soon :evil: :lol:

Hawaii,
    John