Thread: Whattsa Who'sa Bodhisattva? - Avalokiteshvara (Kannon)

Whattsa Who'sa Bodhisattva? - Avalokiteshvara (Kannon)

Taigen Dan Leighton writes, in his wonderful book Faces of Compassion: Classic Bodhisattva Archetypes and their Modern Expression ...

One meaning of Avalokiteshvara's name is "Regarder of the World's Cries or Sounds," indicated in the Japanese name Kanzeon. A shortened form of this is Kannon (or the Chinese Guanyin), "Hearing or Regarding Sounds." Avalokiteshvara is the one who calmly hears and considers all of the world's sounds of woe. This name implies that empathy and active listening are primary practices of compassion. Just to be present, to remain upright and aware in the face of suffering without needing to react reflexively, is compassion. Kanzeon acknowledges beings and their cries, and responds when appropriate or when it would be useful ... Considering all the many manifestations encompassed by Avalokiteshvara, however, we might also remember to carefully regard our own cries, the suffering of all the beings included within us. We cannot offer compassion to others if we cannot be compassionate, accepting, and forgiving of ourselves. We can hear and acknowledge our own feelings of fear, frustration, and anger with calm uprightness, rather than needing to react externally and act them out inappropriately.
    I feel this is a wonderful reminder that we should offer Compassion and Loving Kindness to this Sentient Being, you and me, even as we reach out to help all Sentient Beings and the world (we are sentient beings in this world too!).

Kannon is often depicted with 1000 arms and eyes, seeing and reaching out toward suffering wherever it manifests. Truly, those hands and eyes are our hands and eyes.

Last edited by Jundo; 05-13-2016 at 02:13 AM.

Re: Whattsa Who'sa Bodhisattva? - Avalokiteshvara (Kannon)

I love Avalokiteshvara, whether you call him Chenrezig or her Kannon or Quan Yin, the quality of the Bodhisattva of Compassion is one that is very dear to my heart (Shin). In Japan of course she can be seen in the same way as we Christians see Mary, whose ability to soften and smooth the way for her children is the way her heart works. That is how I see Kannon Bodhisattva, as a Great Mother protecting her children, but also able to discipline them when needed.

Gassho,

Seishin Kyrill

I have a beautiful statue of Kannon that was given to me. I always saw her as a reflection of my own potential to realize my innate compassionate heart. Thank you Jundo for this Bodhisattva series. =)

Gassho

Seiryu

Many hands make light work.

Looking forward to next installment in this series when we explore Jizo!
    Thank you Jundo Sensei.

Gassho,
    John

Thank you Jundo.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Thank you for this teaching, I have always enjoyed hearing and learning about the Bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara.

Thank you,
    Jodi

Thank you Jundo-oso;

And, on the other hand there are four fingers and a thumb, be thankful that we have One thousand hands to go

Hello friends,

Thank you, Jundo. May I ask where you got a Kannon mask? And for what purpose (besides Dharma talks, of course) is it used?

Metta,

Saijun

Quote Originally Posted by Saijun
    Hello friends,

Thank you, Jundo. May I ask where you got a Kannon mask? And for what purpose (besides Dharma talks, of course) is it used?

Metta,

Saijun
    Hi Saijun,

They are very popular here in Japan, very traditional. They are mostly used as wall decorations in temples and some homes.

I thought I actually looked a little scarier than I intended! However, I think I have my Halloween costume for this year now! :shock:

Gassho, J

I'm not normally one for the "new-age" vibe, but recently reading a passage from Meditations from the Mat, a book on yoga my recovering-addict uncle gave me, I came across a passage that went something along the lines of:

"When we are open to love, we are open to the universe. We must continuously open open open and allow the universe to meet us so that we may love fully."

Wisdom is great, but when we rely on it solely I find that, for myself at least, we close ourselves off. We get tighter and tighter and may verge on being harsh, cutting, and abrasive. Letting yourself love and be loved, care and be cared for is a terrifying and wonderful experience. It's hard to let go of the need for want of wisdom. It's hard to let myself relax around my parent who, as it would seem, are in the process of separating. It's hard to let go of the awkwardness of hugging your crying mother, your stoic father. But letting go, opening, accepting, receiving everything that's given and being open to life as it is right now is freeing. It's not always blue-skies and rainbows, but it is life, just as it is.

Gassho, Jundo, thank you for this. It was much needed.
    Myoken

Wisdom without compassion is useless, indeed.

Great teaching about an awesome boddhisatva.

Thank you, Jundo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    I thought I actually looked a little scarier than I intended! However, I think I have my Halloween costume for this year now! :shock:
    For a second there, I thought I was having an 80s flashback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cShYbLkhBc[/video]]

I kid, I kid!

Great talk today.

Gassho,

Kilroy

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor
    Wisdom is great, but when we rely on it solely I find that, for myself at least, we close ourselves off. We get tighter and tighter and may verge on being harsh, cutting, and abrasive. Letting yourself love and be loved, care and be cared for is a terrifying and wonderful experience. It's hard to let go of the need for want of wisdom. It's hard to let myself relax around my parent who, as it would seem, are in the process of separating. It's hard to let go of the awkwardness of hugging your crying mother, your stoic father. But letting go, opening, accepting, receiving everything that's given and being open to life as it is right now is freeing. It's not always blue-skies and rainbows, but it is life, just as it is.

Gassho, Jundo, thank you for this. It was much needed.
    And thank you Myoken...please take care...

Gassho,
    Dosho

Thank you Jundo,

I enjoyed the teachings in the video
    I have a small statue of Guan Yin. I always envision Guan Yin from the tv series 'Monkey Magic'. I grew up as a child watching that all the time.
    http://www.greatsage.net/monkey/characters_guanyin.html

Perhaps that show was the first dhamma seed planted within me in this life? LOL

I really enjoyed how you said we are part of the arms.

Gassho.

Thank you for this; she's definitely my favorite Bodhisattva.

It can be very daunting. I've been thinking that the future of the Dharma rests upon us. If we cannot realize compassion who can? Fortunately we have the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.

Gassho,

Risho

Thank you Jundo,

Gassho
    Gary
    Drinking tea and eating rice.

Mp
    Thank you for this teaching Jundo ... Kannon Bodhisattva is dear to my heart.

Thanks so much jundo for this very timely reminder to tap into our compassion!....... And be aware when the devil is arising within us.

Gassho

Yes, Kannon's work is never done!

Thank you very much for this lesson, Jundo.

So good to be here.

Gassho.

Thank you Jundo. I find these videos very helpful.

Gassho,

Simon

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Thank you, Jundo, for this talk.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Thank You very much Jundo for this beatiful talk.
    Gassho, David
    Sattoday

My favorite Bodhisattva as well. When I chose a statue for my little altar I felt drawn to Kannon, as a symbol of the continuation of life through birth and death, the Earth Mother, and as others have said, the uselessness of wisdom without compassion. Thank you Jundo

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday