Thread: Whattsa Who'sa Bodhisattva? - Avalokiteshvara (Kannon)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Whattsa Who'sa Bodhisattva? - Avalokiteshvara (Kannon)

Taigen Dan Leighton writes, in his wonderful book Faces of Compassion: Classic Bodhisattva Archetypes and their Modern Expression ...

One meaning of Avalokiteshvara's name is "Regarder of the World's Cries or Sounds," indicated in the Japanese name Kanzeon. A shortened form of this is Kannon (or the Chinese Guanyin), "Hearing or Regarding Sounds." Avalokiteshvara is the one who calmly hears and considers all of the world's sounds of woe. This name implies that empathy and active listening are primary practices of compassion. Just to be present, to remain upright and aware in the face of suffering without needing to react reflexively, is compassion. Kanzeon acknowledges beings and their cries, and responds when appropriate or when it would be useful ... Considering all the many manifestations encompassed by Avalokiteshvara, however, we might also remember to carefully regard our own cries, the suffering of all the beings included within us. We cannot offer compassion to others if we cannot be compassionate, accepting, and forgiving of ourselves. We can hear and acknowledge our own feelings of fear, frustration, and anger with calm uprightness, rather than needing to react externally and act them out inappropriately.
    I feel this is a wonderful reminder that we should offer Compassion and Loving Kindness to this Sentient Being, you and me, even as we reach out to help all Sentient Beings and the world (we are sentient beings in this world too!).

Kannon is often depicted with 1000 arms and eyes, seeing and reaching out toward suffering wherever it manifests. Truly, those hands and eyes are our hands and eyes.

Last edited by Jundo; 05-13-2016 at 02:13 AM.

Thank you Jundo,

Gassho
    Gary
    Drinking tea and eating rice.

Mp
    Thank you for this teaching Jundo ... Kannon Bodhisattva is dear to my heart.

Thanks so much jundo for this very timely reminder to tap into our compassion!....... And be aware when the devil is arising within us.

Gassho

Yes, Kannon's work is never done!

Thank you very much for this lesson, Jundo.

So good to be here.

Gassho.

Thank you Jundo. I find these videos very helpful.

Gassho,

Simon

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Thank you, Jundo, for this talk.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Thank You very much Jundo for this beatiful talk.
    Gassho, David
    Sattoday

My favorite Bodhisattva as well. When I chose a statue for my little altar I felt drawn to Kannon, as a symbol of the continuation of life through birth and death, the Earth Mother, and as others have said, the uselessness of wisdom without compassion. Thank you Jundo

Gassho,
    Jakuden
    SatToday