Hey y'all, my favorite charity would have to be Smile Train. Here's a summary of their mission from the website (http://www.smiletrain.org):

Our mission is to provide a child born with a cleft the same opportunities in life as a child born without.

Clefts are a major problem in developing countries where there are millions of children who are suffering with unrepaired clefts. Most cannot eat or speak properly. Aren't allowed to attend school or hold a job. And face very difficult lives filled with shame and isolation, pain and heartache. Their clefts usually go untreated because they are poor – too poor to pay for a simple surgery that has been around for decades.

The New York Times has called Smile Train "one of the most productive charities -- dollar for deed -- in the world." The purpose of each suggested donation is clearly articulated, which I appreciate. It helps me to know that I'm not sending my money for a nebulous purpose.

I can't adequately convey the sadness of these children. I wasn't even aware of this problem until seeing an ad for Smile Train in The Economist. Having seen some of the photos, it's unforgettable.

Please give the website a look. If you can't donate, or are involved with another charity, please tell your friends & family about Smile Train.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

gassho,
Shujin