Thread: 4/9 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Daopi

4/9 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Daopi

You must become such a person ... but you ARE such a person ...

Does that mean that there is nothing to acquire, or that there is nothing to acquire acquired? :shock:

Anywho, don't be anxious.

Cook from 205

Hixon from 190

Re: 4/2 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Daopi

From Hixon:
    One part of this dialog that struck me was when the mature student, once awakened, throws open the masters door and exclaims....
    "How wonderful! You cannot deceive me any longer with such notions as teacher, disciple, practice, enlightenment. If I had not come to offer respect to you this morning, I might have wasted my whole life studying sutras and going through the motions of monastic discipline."

Sounds to me like another way of saying once you have been guided to the destination you no longer need the map. The "destination" in this case being awakening and the "map" being rituals, teachers, sutras, etc.

Gassho,
    John

When one is consciously looking for his or her own head the most one gets its the reflection of it. But when one starts practicing... There is the head. Why to be anxious at all? It is always at our reach.

The reference of the jade rabbit always reminds me of compassion and how important it is on our daily practice. I was very impressed first time I read it: the ultimate sacrifice, offering yourself as a meal for a stranger...
    According to the Wikipedia, the Aztecs have a very similar story. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_rabbit) makes me think that it has to be a story from ancient times, shared by different cultures...

Gassho

Rimon

Hi Rimon,
    Thanks for sharing this interesting link.
    There's a lot of cultural interplay within Asia so finding similarities and the like isn't that surprising. What is however, is for the Aztecs (with seemingly no connection) to have their own folklore version wich is nearly identical!

Gassho,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JRBrisson
    Hi Rimon,
    Thanks for sharing this interesting link.
    There's a lot of cultural interplay within Asia so finding similarities and the like isn't that surprising. What is however, is for the Aztecs (with seemingly no connection) to have their own folklore version wich is nearly identical!

Gassho,
    John
    Isn't it curious? I've been thinking about any connections between Buddhists and Aztecs but nothing came out. Maybe we have another zen koan: "Why did Bodhidharma travelled from China to Tenochtitlan?"
    8)

Q: Same reason the chicken crossed the road??
    A: To get to the other side!!

Commentary: Hope he put aside the raft. :roll:

Another example is how Hildegard of Bingen's dreams portrayed anatomical truths that were not discovered until the development of the electronic microscope some nine hundred years later. :idea:

I don't think we need to acquire anything per se but I do reckon we need to let go an awful lot!
    I'm at a point where I realise how tricky this 'self' is at wanting not only to acquire more, but also to retain this concept of self and everything that supports it.
    In this passage I guess that Daopi has let go and is just letting his teacher know!

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai
    Another example is how Hildegard of Bingen's dreams portrayed anatomical truths that were not discovered until the development of the electronic microscope some nine hundred years later. :idea:
    That sounds very interesting and intriguing, Shokai. Which truths did she discover in her dreams?

Gassho

Rimon

Re: 4/9 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Daopi

Who am I?
    Tiny purple fishes run laughing through my fingers

Who am I?
    Cogito ergo sum

Who am I?
    One Body

Who am I?
    Who am I not?

What do I want?
    Nothing, which allows me to have, be, and do everything

Hiyas
    This is what it is, This is what it is not but stick to any of it and its not it. I quite liked this bit in the cook book where in the Teisho Keizen says "Do not think that there is no one apart from speech... and onward including Do no tbe like a stump... very good advice. Imitation is also not it. Understanding... is still not it! Being...well that remains to be seen!

Gassho
    Shohei

"Natural and without effort the mind is like a fan in winter and the lips are covered with moss." Keizan
    This is such a person acquiring such a thing! Gassho, Shogen

Continually ask, "Who am I ?" Never answered, but keep searching. Being aware of the question, but not anxious. Keizan advises us to always stay connected with other living beings.... Is this a clue?

Gassho,
    Jisen/BrianW