I am new to Zen (as is obvious by the question that forms this topic.) To re-introduce myself a bit, my path started with fundamentalist charismatic Christianity, which evolved into new age Christianity, which is evolving into Zen (although I don't yet know whether I will become a full-fledged Buddhist). As I have made this most recent transition, I have been asked this question: Do Zennies pray? I honestly don't know the answer.

I suppose what I may really be asking is, do Zennies believe in a Higher Power, Supreme Being, Cosmic Couch Potato, or whatever? If so, do you beseech this entity for guidance, answers, healing, better popcorn for tonight's movie, or whatever?

Some of the Christians with whom I am acquainted (and related) are very concerned about the condition of my "soul," and are afraid that I'm giving up on God-as-they-understand-God, or at least God-as-they-think-I-understand-God. I will say that I no longer deal with the issue of "salvation," "sin," or "Heaven/Hell" in the traditional Christian context, so this is not part of my question. I am also NOT asking if zazen is prayer, or if zennies pray when they sit zazen. That much, at least, I understand. But outside of zazen, outside of sitting, during the rest of life...

Do Zennies pray?

Gassho,

Stephen