Thread: SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: WHY BAD THINGS HAPPEN ...

SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: WHY BAD THINGS HAPPEN ...

... WHY BAD THINGS HAPPEN

... TO GOOD AND BAD PEOPLE.

With the death of tens of thousands here in Japan, the suffering of countless more ... seemingly innocent children and others among the hardest hit ... please let me offer a perspective on why 'bad things happen.' Karma? Nature? Destiny? A Deity's 'Mysterious Plan?' Simple bad luck? Those are each a possible explanation.

But in fact, the truth is that none of us in this life ... none of us ... escape this life with our lives. Long or short, we are here for a time, wondrously having been born in this world for a time ... but do not stay here forever. And, while it is shocking and tragic to see so many have had their homes or very lives lost at once ... the truth is that most human beings will have such times sometime in life ... if not by earthquake (there was quite an aftershock about 4 minutes into today's shake-a-long talk, as you'll share) or nuclear fallout or great flood ... then by a doctor's diagnosis, house fire, traffic accident or the like. The Buddha taught that such is the human condition ... times of old age, sickness, loss and death. Yes, some seem to be struck by misfortune more than others of us, yet in truth, we all face our lot. All worldly things are impermanent ... including you, me and those we love. This ordinary world of change, which we Buddhists call "samsara," is sometimes so very hard. Putting aside the cause, whether blind nature, ancient Karma, destiny, deity or something else ... when the earth shakes, the earth just shakes. All are shaken, both the good people and the bad.

We may be brought to despair by such ugliness.

It is heartbreaking, bleak! ..... it seems hopeless, cruel, unfair.

And yet, in the Buddhist teachings, it is more than just that. The shadow is also light.

Better said, it is heartbreaking, and tears roll down our faces, yet there is something at heart which can never be broken, even as the ground shakes and our bodies break.

For, no less, the Buddha offered a medicine for human suffering. Together with teachings on suffering and impermanence, he also taught us another way to experience, to see, to merge into, be at peace, one and whole as these things: ... knowing times of loss which is also no loss possible ... birth and death amid the deathless and unborn ... time flowing as the timeless, beyond count of 'long' 'short' 'young' 'old' ... the waters rushing forward yet unmoving ... the earth's shaking in stillness ... houses lost while our 'True Home' remains. "Bad" things happen hand-in-hand with a Peace, Wholeness, a Goodness tasted in Zazen, which swallows thoroughly all small views of "good" and "bad." Although "all things are change," and some changes are hard and ugly ... there is that which dances with all change, and a heart which, when knowing this Peace which envelopes all the broken pieces of this world, can fully let it all just be. Flowers are born of seeds, live for a time, then fall. Same for weeds in life, though we may despise them. The garden blossoms on.

Oh, I do not want anyone to mistake my words for a lack of compassion toward the countless people still hungry and thirsty, cold and uprooted in so many places by events, both natural and human-made. Far from it, and my heart is broken by what has happened. We should offer aid and comfort. We must feel compassion for everyone, all sentient beings everywhere who are suffering, as any of us can and will sometimes suffer.

In the story of Kisa Gotami...

When her son died just a few years into his life, Kisa Gotami went mad with grief. A wise person saw her condition and told her to find the Buddha, who had the medicine she needed. Kisa Gotami went to the Buddha, and asked him to give her the medicine that would restore her dead child to life. The Buddha told her to go out and find a mustard seed from a house where nobody had died. Kisa Gotami was heartened, and began her search, going door to door. Everyone was willing to give her a mustard seed, but every household she encountered had seen at least one death. She understood why the Buddha had sent her on this quest. She returned to the Buddha, who confirmed what she had realized: "There is no house where death does not come."
    NONE OF US CAN ESCAPE SOMETIMES.

YET, there is also no ultimate need of escape ...

FOR NONE OF US ARE LESS THAN FREE, SEEN WITH A BUDDHA'S EYE.

~ ~ ~

For donations to the children and people around the world also in need ...

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

http://www.savethechildren.org

Today’s Sit-A-Long video follows at this link. Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 15 to 35 minutes is recommended.

tsuku.jpg
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-24-2023 at 05:09 AM.

Re: SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: WHY BAD THINGS HAPPEN ...

These teachings are profound and are profoundly expressed. Sincere thanks.
    Soen

Thank you Jundo; In the midst of suffering and sacrifice we find stillness

Thank you for this teaching!!!

Gassho

Seiryu

Since day one of this crisis I have been reflecting a lot about impermanence. This teaching only helps me understand a bit more.

Thank you for this teaching, Jundo Sensei.

I'm glad you, Taigu and your family are okay.

Interesting article on CNN about how Japanese deal with such tragedies vis-a-vis religion:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/1 ... t-tragedy/

Not sure how accurate it is, but seems to jive with things Jundo has commented on in the past.

Thanks for this post, Jundo.

Gassho,
    Matt

I previously read your preamble to todays sit-a-long and commented before watching the video. I have now watched the videos of you, Jundo-oso with the headless Avalokitshvara amongst the strewn shards of Treeleaf's roof tiles. ( and just how did you schedule that aftershock )Following which, i viewed the sit-a-long from just 10 days ago when you spoke of imperfections; of falling down and getting up; And, the significance of "how you get back up" in the story of the Emperor's Master Archer. In speaking of the bearing the unbearable which Japanese people find themselves subjected to over the past few days; I believe we are witnessing the actions of a true Master. Thank you for your teachings.

Quote Originally Posted by Matto
    Interesting article on CNN about how Japanese deal with such tragedies vis-a-vis religion:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/1 ... t-tragedy/

Not sure how accurate it is, but seems to jive with things Jundo has commented on in the past.

Thanks for this post, Jundo.

Gassho,
    Matt
    I wasn't aware of how some Japanese view Buddhism. Not what I would have predicted (not knowing much), Buddhism being so closely tied to burial rites and ancestor "worship" in Japan. Interesting article. Gassho, Grace.

Having worked in the Japanese Funeral Industry for most of seven years and in close proximity to the rituals, I can agree with a lot of the article but cannot go along with the "funeral buddhism" criticism with regard to the Soto Zen Priests I have known. (This is true feeling, I have no reason to suck up to a couple of notables on this board/ who shut off the BBCode when you need it, ) They have all been quite vibrant, in tune with needs and very much concerned with society; compared to other branches, some almost commercialized. Having said that, I used to enjoy paying 1000 yen to share a cup of sake and be blessed by a Shinto Priest every New Years Eve; six years in a row !!

Thank you Jundo.

Gassho,

Shawn

Thank you Jundo for giving up some of your precious 'power' time to give us this profound teaching. Like you say so often, it is all a good chance for practice, one way or another.

Gassho

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    All worldly things are impermanent ... including you, me and those we love.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TsOPjZEF6E[/video]] (Queen, "Who Wants to Live Forever")

NONE OF US CAN ESCAPE.

YET, NONE OF US EVER LESS THAN FREE WHEN SEEN WITH A BUDDHA'S EYE.

Am watching the Sit-A-Long, and, Jundo, be careful how often you say, "earthquake."

Thank you for this profound teaching! I shared the story of the mustard seed with my son Leon (who has already seen a great deal of death in his mere 9 years of life).

Gassho,
    John

I saw this today about Buddhist monks in different countries praying for Japan:

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php ... 86,0,0,1,0

I don't want this to turn into a "what is Buddhism" thread, but passages like these still baffle me:

"'It would be very good if Japanese Buddhists are to recite 'Heart Sutra' on this occasion. Such recitation may not only be helpful for those who have lost their precious lives, but **may also help prevent further disasters in the future**,' he said in a message to the Japanese people. (said by Dalai Lama)"

-Help prevent disaster in the future? How???

"'We have offered special prayers, seeking divine blessing for the safety and security of people from nature fury in Japan,' said Bhante Prayagsheel, a monk."

-Divine blessings? From whom???

I don't want this to turn into a "what is Buddhism" thread, but passages like these still baffle me:

"'It would be very good if Japanese Buddhists are to recite 'Heart Sutra' on this occasion. Such recitation may not only be helpful for those who have lost their precious lives, but **may also help prevent further disasters in the future**,' he said in a message to the Japanese people. (said by Dalai Lama)"

"'We have offered special prayers, seeking divine blessing for the safety and security of people from nature fury in Japan,' said Bhante Prayagsheel, a monk."

Well, it all certainly couldn't hurt. Who knows, it might help. Even if not, it's the thought that counts.

My physicist friend, the fellow advising me, wrote me earlier this week to say that, while he does not believe in God ... he has been praying all week. I have been too. Science seems to have failed, so who know knows what might work.

On the subject of prayer, I frequently experience such "winking at heaven" moments ... as when our son was in the hospital last year ... calling on any resources available, but simultaneously asking nothing and no favors ... but asking anyway ... a prayer to Buddha, to Kannon, to God, to anyone or any ear who might listen. Maybe, yes, asking for a favor ... but, at heart, expressing a willingness to yield to it all whatever happens.

Gassho, J

Well, it all certainly couldn't hurt. Who knows, it might help. Even if not, it's the thought that counts.

My physicist friend, the fellow advising me, wrote me earlier this week to say that, while he does not believe in God ... he has been praying all week. I have been too. Science seems to have failed, so who know knows what might work.

On the subject of prayer, I frequently experience such "winking at heaven" moments ... as when our son was in the hospital last year ... calling on any resources available, but simultaneously asking nothing and no favors ... but asking anyway ... a prayer to Buddha, to Kannon, to God, to anyone or any ear who might listen. Maybe, yes, asking for a favor ... but, at heart, expressing a willingness to yield to it all whatever happens.

Gassho, J
    I suppose, but... where does it come from? Human nature? Native folk beliefs? The Buddha never taught to "pray to the heavens" or that we could influence natural forces... did he? This is where I get confused. Where does Buddhism stop and other cultural beliefs start. Just seems odd for Buddhist monks to do these things, when in the West it's always been presented in my experience as a very non-theistic, non-"mystical" tradition.

Gassho,
    Matt

I suppose, but... where does it come from? Human nature? Native folk beliefs? The Buddha never taught to "pray to the heavens" or that we could influence natural forces... did he? This is where I get confused. Where does Buddhism stop and other cultural beliefs start. Just seems odd for Buddhist monks to do these things, when in the West it's always been presented in my experience as a very non-theistic, non-"mystical" tradition.

Gassho,
    Matt
    Matt, I think that everything comes from vast emptiness and we don't really know exactly where the mundane and the divine/mystical separate. I view praying as a special form of meditation. As a zen buddhist I practice sitting/walking/standing/lying meditation mostly, but an occasional prayer seems to help in some situations - but that's just me.

'Whatever gets you thru the night is alright' .

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia
    All worldly things are impermanent ... including you, me and those we love.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TsOPjZEF6E[/video]] (Queen, "Who Wants to Live Forever")
    quote]
    Amelia, thanks for the youtube link to this song.

The last line of the song was "Who waits for forever, anyway?" We shouldn't as was the point of the song: today is our forever. However, sometimes we all do, thinking when we just get or do one other thing or another, we will be happy or fulfilled then. I enjoyed the song. Gassho, Grace.

Thank you Jundo

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Quote Originally Posted by raindrop View Post
    Thank you Jundo

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today
    Ah yes, that was a three days after the Tsunami, big aftershock right in the middle of the talk. The nuclear meltdown was happening about 100 miles away, and I was getting reading to join the family running south. Seems like ages ago.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-08-2015 at 04:02 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you, Jundo. A good reminder of impermanence and the need for compassion.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Thank you Jundo for this teaching.
    Gassho

David
    Sattoday
    David Cravidăo Lopes Pereira

I reworked and reposted this at some Zen places on Facebook, for the earthquakes in Turkey and Syria ...

WHY BAD THINGS HAPPEN ... TO GOOD AND BAD PEOPLE

... Yes, some seem to be struck by misfortune more than others of us, yet in truth, we all face our lot. All worldly things are impermanent ... including you, me and those we love. This ordinary world of change, which we Buddhists call "samsara," is sometimes so very hard. Putting aside the cause, whether blind nature, ancient Karma, destiny, deity or something else ... when the earth shakes, the earth just shakes. All are shaken, both the good people and the bad.
    We, so often, may be brought to despair by all this ugliness.

It is heartbreaking, bleak! ..... it seems hopeless, cruel, unfair.

And yet, in the Buddhist teachings, it is more than just that. The shadow is also light. ...
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Amer...1541520410318/

Gassho, J

stlah
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Beautiful. Thank you

Risho
    -stlah

Jundo, thank you for your teaching, then and now, I have been a member of Treeleaf Zendo since 10-2014, the year my second book came out, and there were several people here who were kind enough to buy a copy. I have crippling arthritis, and in many ways, that book was a coming to terms with pain, and I have never really come to terms with pain. I have told friends and family that when my ticket is punched, or the silent gong rings for me, I will be happy to exit pain, but even so I say, let me see our daughter get her PhD then I will be okay to exit and then there was an untimely brain tumor a year and a half ago, and since then a cancer scare, learning I don't have cancer; then when the other shoe will drop, I may, or may not know it. Jundo speaks of luck, and since 2010, my life has been filled with just such dumb luck, and I'm 71. Nothing guarantees today for me, and maybe not tomorrow. I'm ancient by Dogen's standards I may or may not die sooner or later. NO, I will die. Don't I know it. No Maybe.
    Gassho
    sat/lah
    Tai Shi
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆