Thread: SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: Aftershock

SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: Aftershock

There are people without homes, food, loved ones just 100 miles north of here. My son (who is -not- the child in the photo at left) is obviously shaken, tossed around with the other children in his school classroom when the earthquake hit. A seven year old cannot understand. The child in that photo must be so much more confused ... beyond a child's understanding. The aftershocks and "meltdown" talk as we constantly checked for bulletins were beginning to get to our son, so we send him (with my wife) off to relatives on the other side of Tokyo. After a fews days with no water or toilets (they're back now ... luxuries ... ), checking news bulletins for the nuclear reactors (about 110 miles from here) and being woken from sleep by the aftershocks ... I'm TIRED! But I can't help just feel fortunate that my family and I seem so well off, unscratched. Inconvenienced and sleepless at worst, maybe a bit rattled.

Zazen truly has helped to keep all in perspective this week, centered, bringing stability in the sometime chaos ... earth moves, heart still (even if now and then racing when the rafters and electric lines shake back and forth.). One truly can feel terrifying fear AND fully see through the fear AT ONCE! Fear and Peace, AS ONE! Our "a little" broken house can be fixed. Compared to those really without, hungry and sleeping in the cold, missing sons and daughters, wives and husbands swept away ... we're untouched.

Other than "stuff" ... a fallen roof, some cracked wooden beams, smashed furniture, and broken buddha statues (can they be broken?) ... we're okay. After a couple of days without power and water ... I sit here drinking my coffee, typing on the computer, enjoying a hot shower, like any other day. Here, things are getting back to normal. "Stuff" can be fixed. For these other people, some things will be much harder to repair ... their broken hearts and uprooted lives. All we can do is send our empathy and hopes out to those not so lucky.

Oh, and make efforts to lend a hand were needed (there are probably people in your own community who could use your help today... not only in Japan), and don't forget the cash.

A few people have asked me were to send money. As the Japanese are quite well off generally as a country, I would strongly suggest looking at organizations like Doctors Without Borders and Save the Children, which help people in like events in countries which are not so well equiped, Haiti and such.

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

http://www.savethechildren.org

Today’s Sit-A-Long video follows at this link. Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 20 to 35 minutes is recommended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x-7dI4qHgw[/video]]

Re: SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: Aftershock

Jundo and family,
    Glad to hear that you are physically safe. Nonetheless, you have all been through (are living through) a trauma. Please be sure to attend to that trauma. Your nerves need to be calmed and your minds eased. I will light some incense for you and sit with Metta thinking of you here in Dublin. May your minds and nerves find calm. May the suffering people of Japan and elsewhere find practical help first, so that they can go on and heal the wounds that have been inflicted on them. May all beings everywhere find security, happiness and calm.
    Deep bows,
    Soen

Like Soen just said!

with metta
    Jinyu

As Jinyu and Soen

Jundo,

Thank you for taking the time to post this. It is a very human and inspiring talk.

But I don't think I will be able to watch it more than once.

Very cliche to say, but my heart is with you.

Today I will practice gratefulness for my life, and metta for all those suffering in Japan and abroad.

May all beings be healthy, happy, and free from suffering.
    May all beings live in peace and harmony.

respectfully,
    Greg

Just echoing what others have already said but thank you so much for posting this!

Glad to see you are alright!

Metta

Seiryu

Quote Originally Posted by soendoshin
    Jundo and family,
    Glad to hear that you are physically safe. Nonetheless, you have all been through (are living through) a trauma. Please be sure to attend to that trauma. Your nerves need to be calmed and your minds eased.
    I think he's doing a great job.

Jundo,

My Heart is open to you, your family and to our Brother Taigu as well as to all the Japanese people during this time. I lift you all and hold you close.

Gassho,

Seishin Kyrill

Great catastrophes provide opportunity for great teachings, and you are an example of that.

Many bows...

Jundo,

Thank you for posting this and thinking of all of us...we are certainly thinking of you.

As you said, words escape me...just please stay safe.

Deep bows Sensei.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Jundo Sensei

My heart and soul are Japanese these days. I haven't missed Zazen and daily it has been to send you much metta. You teach us so much I can only be humbled by your words.

Please be safe. I will meditate with this seating.

Jundo, that was a beautiful teaching. I do believe it's time for you to get the hell out of there now. Please.

Jundo,

Thank you for the post. be safe, be peace.

When the ground shakes, the leaves, like roof tiles, may fall. But as long as the tree itself still stands there will always be new growth. So too is the nature of the Konoha Zendo!
    Thank you Jundo Sensei _/_

Gassho,
    John

Thank you Jundo.
    It is very kind and generous of you to provide this teaching, and to take time to keep us updated in this time of healing.
    Gassho ~D.

SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: Aftershock

Thank you Jundo.

Ron

Many, many thanks to you Jundo.

I will keep these lessons of impermanence, metta and stillness with me.

We are with you.

Gassho
    Julia

Great talk and a superb teaching. Thank you Jundo.
    Lots of meta to all the people that are suffering in Japan and the world
    Gassho
    Rimon

Jundo and family,
    They are reporting here that radiation has reached Tokyo and that the wind is blowing south. Maybe if you don't have to be there you should consider moving away for a few weeks to see what happens. It's all gotten a little more serious ... if that was possible.
    Deep bows,
    Soen

Thank you again Jundo for your teachings...

Gassho,

Shawn

Thank you
    _()_
    Peter

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Thank you for this talk. It made me realize how much I have to be grateful for as well as that there is a lot of suffering in the world. I would like to do more about the suffering, but holding it in my heart I think is the first step.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday