Thread: What if I wanted to treat my house like a Zendo?

What if I wanted to treat my house like a Zendo?

Just looking for some advice, what would I have to do if I wanted to treat my own house as a Zendo?
    What practices and disciplines would I have to respect if I were to do this?

thank you and Gasssho,
    Jess

Re: What if I wanted to treat my house like a Zendo?

If you are already meditate at home, then it's your zendo already. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by chicanobudista
    If you are already meditate at home, then it's your zendo already. :wink:
    Brilliant!!

I agree, do not consider a Zendo some special place for practice, like what it say on the top of this forum; Life is our temple.
    Your Zendo is where ever you are whenever you are. A Zendo is just another room...

Now, if you wanted a Zendo for other people to sit with you...like in a more formal setting...then I have no idea ops:

Gassho

Seiryu

Hiyas
    Yeah as already said, it is already your zendo.
    So since this is the case, I would recommend bowing, meet the significant other - bow. Dog? Bow. sink, clogged drain, faulty wire bow! does not have to be visible just treat all space as sacred! (sometimes its not so easy and too easy to forget!)

One thing I do follow the procedures outlined for some one entering a zendo when approaching zazen at home, basically like posted here zendo etiquette you can follow.
    Enter on left, left foot, bow to Buddhas, proceed to do what needs to be done at the altar, bows, light incense, bows again, robes and robe chant, heart sutra, go and sit. I have still lots to learn so I have been trying a few different things in that department.

There is instructions, lots of them, of how to run things and you could pick through and find something that feels right to you, Dogen's Eihei Shingi* is a good book with lots of info, and of course you could always look at the instructions for the cook for inspiration (Tenzo Kyokun) as it is for the cook and kitchen but it applies across any wall or boundary.

I found despite all the above, keeping things simple l as much as possible keeps approaching the most important part, zazen, much easier. Sometimes all the things we build up around this practice distract us from the the point of it all. Sometimes.

Gassho
    Shohei

*I edited this as I pointed to the Eihei koroku - big book with lots of other info of use but not what the right one, thank you for the keen eye !

Quote Originally Posted by Shohei
    Hiyas

Enter on left, left foot, bow to Buddhas, proceed to do what needs to be done at the altar, bows, light incense, bows again, robes and robe chant, heart sutra, go and sit.

Gassho
    Shohei

Thanks, that's exactly the info I needed, I guess the question I should have asked was "What is the etiquette and protocol need in a zendo? "
    I'd like to thank everyone for being so helpful and informative.

This group has surprised me so many times, thank you all.

Additionally, you can review this post from Jundo:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3308

RECOMMENDED 'AT HOME' LITURGY

Hi!

Put some *Gassho* in your life!

In every situtation make gassho, or just mentally do gassho. In every place you can find a Zendo, and every community is a wonderful Sangha!

Just keep it simple :wink: ,

*gassho*,
    Jinyu