Thread: SIT-A-LONG with Taigu: Koku 6

SIT-A-LONG with Taigu: Koku 6

At the end of this chapter,Dogen is quite clear, worthy or not worthy is not the point. Koku is for all. This practice is for all. Everybody belongs.

gassho !

Taigu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIHoh6Bnv7M[/video]]

Re: SIT-A-LONG with Taigu: Koku 6

Hello Taigu,
    To experience Koku with you has been a great journey. Thank you for the time and effort. Gassho, Shogen

Thank you for these great talks Taigu.
    Gassho,
    Soen

Hi!
    I feel much gratitude for the teachings you just finished on Dogen's Koku!
    It has been a real chance to study this text and, thanks to your explanations, be able to let koku infiltrate our daily activities. And finally, I don't say "I know" or "I understand" anything... but something is unfold and takes place from these teachings... I had the same impression when Jundo gave teachings on the tenzokyokun awhile ago. Very freeing but we still need to practice to let it resonate, penetrate our daily life...

Anyway, thank you...
    gassho,
    Jinyu

Quote Originally Posted by Jinyu
    Hi!
    I feel much gratitude for the teachings you just finished on Dogen's Koku!
    It has been a real chance to study this text and, thanks to your explanations, be able to let koku infiltrate our daily activities. And finally, I don't say "I know" or "I understand" anything... but something is unfold and takes place from these teachings... I had the same impression when Jundo gave teachings on the tenzokyokun awhile ago. Very freeing but we still need to practice to let it resonate, penetrate our daily life...

Anyway, thank you...
    gassho,
    Jinyu
    Hi Jinyu,
    Perhaps you just put, "Moon in a Dew Drop," in your own words. Thank you! Gassho, Shogen

Blog Entries

Taigu,
    Thank you for this talk. The notion of "shikan" in my sitting and daily activities is one I understood intellectually, but not yet in practice. Your talk today helped me with this - when washing dishes, I wash them with the goal of being mindful - instead of just washing them. As in sitting meditation, how does one sit without goal or notion of attainment? If random thoughts cross the landscape of our minds we are supposed to let them come and go - what if they decide to stay for awhile - as in most of our sitting period? Isn't focusing on the breath or returning to posture a goal or activity itself? Sorry to ask a seemingly simple question, but it is one I am facing now - how does one have a goalless practice without dreaming or deluding oneself - Sawaki himself delineates between what is Zazen and not Zazen - I find myself drifting off into areas he would classify as definitely not Zazen - sleeping on the cushion, so to speak - figuratively and literally!

Your thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Gassho,
    Yugen

Yugen,

Thank you for your question. Working all day, I will try to find some time to give a propper answer.

Meanwhile, please look at this excellent description of Zazen by Jundo:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2816#

Thank you for your patience.

Gassho

Thank you for this talk. The notion of "shikan" in my sitting and daily activities is one I understood intellectually, but not yet in practice. Your talk today helped me with this - when washing dishes, I wash them with the goal of being mindful - instead of just washing them. As in sitting meditation, how does one sit without goal or notion of attainment? If random thoughts cross the landscape of our minds we are supposed to let them come and go - what if they decide to stay for awhile - as in most of our sitting period? Isn't focusing on the breath or returning to posture a goal or activity itself? Sorry to ask a seemingly simple question, but it is one I am facing now - how does one have a goalless practice without dreaming or deluding oneself - Sawaki himself delineates between what is Zazen and not Zazen - I find myself drifting off into areas he would classify as definitely not Zazen - sleeping on the cushion, so to speak - figuratively and literally!
    Difficult to add anything to what Jundo says about shikantaza.

Thoughts don't decide to stay. Thoughts are not beings, just mere waves made by the brain activity. Sitting without goal and notion of attainment is to sit. Just sit. Thoughts come and go, let them come and go. That's why I often use the word "allow", to allow is the secret of Zazen, not to control, maintain, feed. To deeply accept and see that this moment is the beginning and the end, that there is no need to try to be perfect and to have a great samadhi. There is a say in Zen that goes: no matter how high the mountain is, clouds keep flying. Sometimes zazen is quiet, sometimes not, and it is always perfectly zazen. Of course, sleeping on the cushion is not Zazen anymore. Keeping awake is very important even if sometimes we sleep. When you notice this, throw kinhin into the mix and come back to sitting.

gassho

Taigu

Blog Entries

Taigu,
    Thank you for taking time out of your day to respond.

Boundless rivers of tumbling torrents ceaselessly flowing.

A deep bow Sensei,
    Yugen

Thank you Taigu,
    listening to your talk, it all sounds very simple,
    _()_
    Peter

Thankyou Taigu,
    these series of talks really help bring Shobogenzo to life, please keep up the good work.

Gassho

Joe

Thank you Taigu.
    Gassho.