Thread: Website about veg.

Website about veg.

Hello,

I stumbled upon this website http://www.shabkar.org/index.html in another forum, and thought that some here might be interested. Perhaps it has been linked to before? I couldn't find any reference to it here though.

It's a site about vegetarianism in Buddhism throughout all schools. There is an extensive list of sutras containing information about Buddha's view on vegetarianism, as well as texts from different authors such as Philip Kapleau, Sevan Ross and Hsuan Hua.

/Philip

Re: Website about veg.

Thanks!

Thank you Anista,
    much appreciated.
    _()_
    Peter

fantastic! thanks for sharing!

Gassho,
    Seiryu

Anista,

I wanted to do a much longer reply, but I've been sick so all I could get out was a thank you last night; I have a cold and, as my wife can attest, I'm a baby when I'm sick. lol

In any case, I remember when first discussing vegetarianism on a forum here, and you didn't back down. It planted a seed in me that has been festering. I'm definitely not a vegetarian, but my views on meat eating have radically changed. A lot of that is credit to you and to this practice.

One of the things that I am very adamant about is how the food has been treated. Due to that, most of my meat eating has been lessened. I know there are many viewpoints on this, and even eating vegetables is killing, we can't get around it. But there are different ways to kill.

After learning more about mass food production and corporate farming, I couldn't stomach it any longer, so to me it is important on where the food comes from and how animals and vegetables are treated. Just because an animal is killed to give us sustenance gives us no right to treat it poorly while it is living. The conditions under which corporate farms place these animals is horrendous. It's easy to turn a blind eye when we are so far removed from (well at least most americans not involved in farming) the farming process. But as a Zen Buddhist, one of the things we should be doing is looking at how all of our actions impact not only us but everything around us.

In this country, one of the most powerful ways we can vote is through our wallets.

In any case, I know this topic is provocative, and a lot of people don't like to think about this because they feel "Hey I'm human, I'm on top of the food chain, who cares?" But good! I like provocative, it shakes us out of our complacency

At the same time, there is no need to get self-righteous. We are all free to make our own decisions.

Gassho,

Risho

disastermouse

I'm going to keep eating meat, I tried vegetarianism and suffered greatly for it. Much of it will probably be factory farmed since organic meat is crazy-expensive.

Risho,

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad you see things in a new light! But I hope you and others here don't think that my post was meant to put down those who eat meat. I know there are other vegetarians and vegans in this samgha, and just thought they would appreciate the link. This was in no way meant as some kind of statement that "vegetarianism is the only way to go, take that meat eaters!".

Anyway, thank you for your post. It was much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by disastermouse
    I'm going to keep eating meat, I tried vegetarianism and suffered greatly for it. Much of it will probably be factory farmed since organic meat is crazy-expensive.
    We wouldn't want you to suffer. Keep up the meat eating!