Thread: Whattsa Who'sa Bodhisattva? - Manjushri

Whattsa Who'sa Bodhisattva? - Manjushri

Each of the Bodhisattvas may be seen as an archetype for a vital aspect of Buddhist Practice ... Manjushri Bodhisattva for Wisdom. Taigen Dan Leighton writes in FACES OF COMPASSION ...

Manjushri is the bodhisattva of wisdom and insight, penetrating into the fundamental emptiness, universal sameness, and true nature of all things. Manjushri ... sees into the essence of each phenomenal event. This essential nature is that not a thing has any fixed existence separate in itself, independent from the whole world around it. The work of wisdom is to see through the illusory self-other dichotomy, our imagined estrangement from our world. Studying the self in this light, Manjushri's flashing awareness realizes the deeper, vast quality of self, liberated from all our commonly unquestioned, fabricated characteristics.

... Manjushri cuts through our conventional conceptions of and attachments to abiding, increase and decrease, ordinary and holy, nirvana and samsara, arising and ceasing, aspiring, and grasping. Experiencing personally and clearly the perfection of wisdom that Manjushri expounds is about seeing through, and being liberated from, all limited views about these common snares of consciousness. (Bodhisattva Archetypes, p. 93 & 116)
    Today’s Sit-A-Long video follows at this link. Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 15 to 35 minutes is recommended.

Last edited by Jundo; 05-01-2016 at 05:01 PM.

Re: Whattsa Who'sa Bodhisattva? - Manjushri

Thank you Jundo

*Gassho*

Thank you Jundo.

Jundo, this was a great sitting.

With all that's happening in my life these days, having me thinking on resistance to the world and how I relate to it, is just what I need.

Manjushri rules.

Thank you!

Thank you Jundo,
    _()_
    Peter

Yugen

The idea of friction and the subject/object dualism is very helpful.... of course, friction is the necessary condition for us to even recognize such a dualism exists (the right word?)... In science the absence of friction can be a scary thing, just as too little or too much leads to lack of movement - kinesis v. stasis. Sorry, just in a philosophical mood today.

Thank you so much and,

Gassho

Yugen

Quote Originally Posted by Yugen
    The idea of friction and the subject/object dualism is very helpful.... of course, friction is the necessary condition for us to even recognize such a dualism exists (the right word?)... In science the absence of friction can be a scary thing, just as too little or too much leads to lack of movement - kinesis v. stasis. Sorry, just in a philosophical mood today.

Thank you so much and,

Gassho

Yugen

Friction without friction, moving in stillness ... self and other / self-other dropped away ...

Thank you Jundo Sensei.

Gassho,
    John

Hi!
    Thank you Jundo! I'm very happy you began teaching on this subject. So many Bodhisattvas and so many schools and traditions interpreting in their own way. It will be helpful to discover how our tradition talks or thinks about these Bodhisattvas. We see them many times in sutras, teachings and books... but this is a great occasion to know them better.
    Thank you again,

gassho,
    Jinyu

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Thank you Jundo

Gassho
    Dave sat today.

Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho,
    Onkai
    SatToday

Not sure I understand and cannot comment
    Tai Shi
    Calm poetry
    sat today
    Gassho

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
    Peaceful Poet, Tai Shi. Ubasoku; calm, supportive, limited to positive 優婆塞 台 婆

Quote Originally Posted by Elgwyn View Post
    Not sure I understand and cannot comment
    This is great understanding.

Gasho, Jishin, _/st\_