Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: -- Announcement -- Treeleaf Sangha Winter Retreat 2011

Re: -- Announcement -- Treeleaf Sangha Winter Retreat 2011

Hi all,
    anyone picked a hotel to stay in yet for the night the retreat ends?
    Gassho
    Soen

Hi.

Me and a fellow sanghamember from the sangha i sit with here,not a Treeleafer, will fly in on the 26th and probably home on the 30th.
    I would be great if we could coordinate things so that we all who need an room before and after, stay at the same place before and after, don't you think?
    So when someone gets round to it, and start to order, check if there is beds for more ppl, post where you are staying and a link/mail and then we'll all sort of try and convene there..

I also know that Jinyu is checking for hotels and is supposed to get back to me around the 22/26 of october.
    When anyone gets anything related to hotels/hostels, plz post it here.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Quote Originally Posted by Fugen
    I also know that Jinyu is checking for hotels and is supposed to get back to me around the 22/26 of October.
    Thank you Fugen! :wink:

Yes, I'll be able to look around for prices and accommodations this week-end and I'll be also checking places and rooms until the 26, maybe the 27, but I can begin to share what I've got sooner.

Now, If you folks want to share when you think you will arrive in Brussels it could be easier for me... In fact it is not about being more easy but about being more precise.

I was going to post the "results" (prices,...) on everyones message box... but now that you guys talk about it, I realize that I could share it to all of you, right here!

About the retreat being online:
    Unfortunately... I don't think it will be possible to make a "live video" like we use to do. In fact, there is no Internet in the abbey and we are a bit isolated in the park. I've tried with an usb wifi modem around the building but the connection is really really poor.... I'm still searching maybe we'll find another solution.
    But we can at least record it and then put it online!

Have a very nice day,
    gassho,
    Jinyu

Hi fellow,

Just an update on hotels in Brussels...
    I'll give you guys three kind of propositions (prices and accomodations, I don't mean 3 places but three kind of places or three "levels"..; depending on budgets!) this sunday 30.
    Sorry for the delay!

have a very nice day everyone!

deep gassho,
    Jinyu

Hi,
    Has anyone decided yet where they are going to stay the night the retreat ends? Be nice to stay in the same place.
    Gassho

This weekend I booked my trains; leaving early morning 27th I will arrive at the monastery around 4 pm. The train home leaves at 4:30 pm the 30th, so if the schedule is still valid I should be able to attend the full retreat. So I'm not staying at a hotel at all.

Quote Originally Posted by soendoshin
    Hi,
    Has anyone decided yet where they are going to stay the night the retreat ends? Be nice to stay in the same place.
    Gassho
    Hi Soen!

I have not booked anything yet. Kind of waiting to see what Jinyu says about it. But yes, let's try to stay at the same place, or at least nearby. I was thinking in city centre just for convenience sake.

g

s

Same here Shawn.
    we are waiting for Jinyu's suggestions,

gassho

Taigu

Hello everyone,

in case we don't hear from Jinyu in the next couple of days, may I be so bold as to self appoint myself as the "Hotel Recommender"? My wife knows quite a few people from the Brussels area and could make some enquiries over the weekend.

If you don't mind Taigu I will also give the abbey a call next week (since I speak Dutch) to see whether all is still well booking wise. I completely trust Jinyu to have confirmed the booking by the way, but with the way the "non-communication" is/isn't working right now, I'd like to cover all bases with your permission.

Btw. I can carry three little round cushion wedge things with me, in case there are no zafu....these thingies are not as good as real zafu, but will do the trick unless one needs really "high" zafu.

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Thank you so much, Mongen, yes let s wait a few days and go ahead. We are all waiting for Jinyu s imput but for now, no news. I hope he is safe and sound. Rimon, what about the kitchen?

Gassho

Taigu

Hi everyone,

Again I'm terribly sorry for non giving news. I've no excuse, no other than everyone has: work, family, money problems deceases...

This experience of organizing a retreat is a terrible Revelation of my problems in organizing such an event with partners being so far. Again this is all my bad, but I assume everything and I'll give all the time I can from now to assure that this retreat will be a success. I asked to my boss a new schedule mainly centered in Brussels with less hours by train, but still a full schedule. That way I hope I won't be so exhausted by long trains and buses trips and that I'll be more "online".

Anyway, Let be clear that the abbey is rented and that there will be no problem with that, a part of the renting price is already payed and the rest will be paid when the retreat begins.

For now, we desperately need zafus and zabutons. I'm also trying to get as much carpets I can to put on the floor who will be quite cold in the winter. These are my main concerns for now.

Concerning Hotels. I suggest indeed to sleep downtown in Brussels the day before.
    I've seen two categories of Hotels.

One is around 50 to 80 Euros a night breakfast included, and are in big hotels for one single room with shower. These are near the center and the train stations needed to go to Kortenberg.
    There are also rooms in small hotels or youth hostels around 37 to 50 Euros for a room with single bed and breakfast. An Hotel - Youth hostel is particularly interesting because it is in the city center and it too expensive, it is also next to the 'North station'.
    If some want to eventually take a double room it is particularly interesting in these Hostels (Sleep Well and Van Gogh both in the main center and cheap and clean!)

http://www.chab.be/ModsUK.html
    http://www.sleepwell.be/en/prices-youth-hostel-brussels

For normal Hotels it is as I said around 50 and 80 (up to 150 Euros).

There are available almost everywhere...
    http://www.ibishotel.com/fr/hotel-1454- ... ndex.shtml
    http://www.hotelducongres.be/ang/rooms.php
    http://www.hotel-saint-michel.be/fr/nos-chambres/

Here is a very beautifull small hotel not (too) expensive, a very nice experience: http://www.hoteldelamadeleine.com/
    Here is a nice "design hotel" with rooms around 60 to 80 euros for that period.

One thing that could be nice to make a reservation is to see if there is one or more hotels that suits you and to make group reservations (sometimes it is possible to have a special price doing so), or maybe some people will think about getting a double room... brief, here are some possibilities.

I'll be around this post and the Forum almost everyday from now on to the retreat beggining, so I hope to have your reactions soon!

Have a very nice day everyone!
    gassho,
    Jinyu
    ps: Thank you Mongen, Soen, Rimon, Taigu, Fugen, ... I mean everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Jinyu
    For now, we desperately need zafus and zabutons. I'm also trying to get as much carpets I can to put on the floor who will be quite cold in the winter. These are my main concerns for now.
    Thank you Jinyu,
    I've planned to bring my own bench and zabuton; maybe others intended to bring their own too and there is no or only a small problem ?
    _()_
    Peter

Hi all,
    I will also bring my own zafu and zabuton, so I will not need one. I guess the most important practical issues are:

Will the place be warm enough in winter? What degrees Celcius do you think the zendo is? We don't want anyone getting really sick!

If we all bring our own sleeping bag is there a bed or something to sleep on?

Are there facilities for washing? Hot or cold water?

Will there be meals?

Once the basics are ok then the rest will follow.

Gassho

Ps: Shawn, I guess you will need adapters and the like for European sockets?

Hi!

To answer to some questions:
    The place is heathen (radiators) but the rooms are quite big and the building is old. By what I understood we are free to manage the radiators as we want (I'll send an email to be sure).

For the moment, despite the flyers we sent in all the Zen/Chan/Son Sanghas I know in the country and abroad, no one asked me to come with us.
    So, for the moment, everyone could have a bed!
    The sleeping bags and mats are crucial for people who will sleep on the floor (not needed for the moment because there are not a lot of persons who subscribe to come). On the other hand, even for people sleeping in beds, there are no (not a lot) of blankets and everything, so it would be easier if everyone has his own. Now, I can bring it for some people if there are just "some" folks who can't bring these "cumbersome things".

There is hot water in the building and the toilets and showers are at the same floor as the rooms we'll sleep in.

For the meals, a tasty menu has been made in collaboration with Rimon and I'll buy the things needed a few days before the retreat, I will not buy things too soon because we don't know how many people will be eating.

I hope i answered these questions, if you folks have other questions or need to know anything, just ask!

Thank you again to everyone!
    Have a very nice day!

gassho,
    Jinyu

Thank you Jinyu,
    I doubt radiators will make it "nice and warm", so better bring some extra pullover
    _()_
    Peter

Thank you Jinyu for follow up!

I will be self-sufficient (except for food). I will bring my own zafu, sleeping bag and warm clothes..maybe even my zabuton if it'll fit.

Thanks for the tips on the hotels. I will look into the ones you suggested. Are any of those four you listed closer to the centre than others? The Hotel de la Madeleine is quite nice and seems central.

Lastly, could your sitting group use zafu/zabuton donation? Maybe at the end of the retreat I could donate mine so that I can load up on chocolate and beer.

Thanks again Jinyu!

Gassho,

s

Thanks Jinyu.
    Looking forward to meeting you all. I'll bring warm cloths too. I remember how very cold Belgium can be in December. Especially when sitting still for hours!

Shawn, let me know what hotel you go for.

Gassho

Hi everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by shards
    Are any of those four you listed closer to the centre than others?
    Well, not really, all of them are in the city center! The farther you can be from a train station is 10 minutes (walking).
    But the hotel you pointed too is particularly close to the beautiful "Grand-place".
    i can suggest a few things to see in Brussels for before or after the retreat is people have some hourse to spend in the city center.
    I'll hope that we'll be able, for the ones coming one or two days before, to have a local dinner and visit a bit the city and his beers!

Quote Originally Posted by shards
    Lastly, could your sitting group use zafu/zabuton donation?
    Of course yes, for the moment "my" sitting group is gathering in a house with carpets and everyone bring his own zafu or blanket, but it could be useful of course!
    I'm planning to rent a small place next year to serve as a permanent little zendo... but prices are CRAZY in Brussels's city center!

But it is true that the winter can be very cold... we use to say that Belgium isn't Siberia... you don't freeze or anything, but when you feel you are cold... it is too late because the feelings keeps all day! So, big pullovers for everyone!

Have a nice day everyone!
    big gassho,
    Jinyu

Hello,

I thought it might be useful to know how to check for train times once you are in Brussels.

If I understood correctly, you can go to the following site ( i already indicated "English" in the link):

http://www.b-rail.be/main/E/

and enter Brussel Centraal (that is the main station in Brussels) as your FROM point of origin

and I assume you just enter Kortenberg as the TO point meaning your destination

You can also enter the date and time of your departure etc.

Now, I have never been to this abbey, but I think Kortenberg should be the right stop anyhow.

Hope this helps a bit.

Gassho and regards,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Now, I have never been to this abbey, but I think Kortenberg should be the right stop anyhow.
    Yes Hans! Schedules are also in every train stations of course, and it is also possible to ask to "train staff" wearing grey or red clothes with a big "B" on their chest! :wink:
    anyway, Thank you!

gassho,
    Jinyu

Hello,
    Does one have to buy train tickets before entering the train or can I buy it from staff in the train ?
    _()_
    Peter

Hi Peter!
    It is important to try to get a ticket before. If you can't, try to show (with your hand) to the 'ticket controller' that you need something and sit in the train he will come to you!
    Sometimes, they ask to pay a bit more if you ask your ticket in the train IF you didn't try to contact the controller. But it is a very tiny line and a little train, and they usually are quite cool!

have a nice day,
    gassho,
    Jinyu

Thank you Jinyu,
    i feel well prepared for the journey, thanks for everything,
    _()_
    Peter

Anyone else had any luck with hotels. Seems some don't accept arriving on the 30th/31st...and some are booked up. So far no luck on myside. Soen?

Thanks,

s

When I travel for the company I usually book via booking.com
    _()_
    Peter

Hi Shawn,
    Booked up! Doh! Will look into booking later today and will get back to you. I thought it would be no problem. But I guess it's only a few weeks to Christmas!
    Gassho
    Soen

I checked booking com for 30 and they showed me 104 hotels "near" Kortenberg,
    here is one in brussels with a single room at 60 Euro

http://tinyurl.com/brux2qw

You can switch the language top right on the page. Their search engine
    lets you choose price ranges. Hope this helps
    _()_
    peter

Hello,

in case you find nowhere to stay, please drop me an email and I'll ask my wife whether she has any friends in Brussels I might call in order to find a place.

All the best and Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Hi.

Can we make an group booking?
    We are two from sweden coming and we haven't booked any either, not for the 26th or the 29-30th..

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Hi all,
    I arrive on the 27th in the morning at about 11am. So, I'll hang about for the day. Does anyone want to meet for lunch and then make our way out for the retreat together?

Then when the retreat ends on the 30th I'm staying in the Aris Grand Place Hotel, Grasmarkt 78-80. It was Euro82 for the night. It's right near to the Grand Place in the centre. I found it on booking.com, as suggested, and took the plunge.

I'm flying home on the 31st early.

Gassho
    Soen

"Aris Hotel is ideally set in the centre of Brussels. It offers sound-proofed rooms less than 100 metres from the Grand Place and only 300 metres from Brussel-Centraal Metro Station.

All of the rooms at Aris Grand Place Hotel are air-conditioned and feature a cable TV and a work desk. Each room also has an en suite bathroom with a bath or shower and a hairdryer.

The Manneken Pis Statue is a 5-minute walk from Aris. The Parc de Bruxelles and the BELvue Museum are just over a 10-minute walk from the hotel. The Magritte Museum is just over 5 minutes’ walk away.

Aris Grand Place has a 24-hour front desk and a spacious lobby with a seating area. There is a computer terminal in the business centre which guests can use."

Hi Guys

Sorry to drop in so late, I moved back to Mortsel (Antwerpen) and I have internet again. I will attend as well; I have 3 zafu's and 1 zafuton I can take with me. If someone needs to be picked up somewhere please let me know.
    I can sleep on a 'airmatress' I'll bring along with me. If you need anything else, let me know ( kitchen material, statue of buddha, incense, cloth rack for kimonos, ..)

Gassho

Ensho
    (Joris)

Hi all,
    I arrive on the 27th in the morning at about 11am. So, I'll hang about for the day. Does anyone want to meet for lunch and then make our way out for the retreat together?
    Definitely! My travel plans are:

• - Leave Dallas evening of 25th.
      - Get to Brussels on 26th afternoon.
      - Hopefully meet up with anyone else arriving early for dinner!
      - Meet Soen for lunch
      - Head to Abbey
      - Sit & Sew (26th-30th)
      - Head back to Brussels on the 30th
      - Tool around Brussels for a couple days (Anyone else around after the retreat?)
      - Fly back to Dallas on the 1st.

Then when the retreat ends on the 30th I'm staying in the Aris Grand Place Hotel, Grasmarkt 78-80. It was Euro82 for the night. It's right near to the Grand Place in the centre. I found it on booking.com, as suggested, and took the plunge.
    I went ahead and booked it for my three nights as well. As there is no cancellation fees, should something change or someone else find a better deal I can always switch. But it's nice that it's so central and close to the train as well, making moving between airport hotel abbey hotel airport much easier.

Thanks Soen!

Gassho,

Shawn

Hello,

I'd love to meet you folks for lunch but will go directly to the abbey on the 27th morningish/noonish it seems. Looking forward to seeing you all there!

All the best and Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Hi Hans,
    Need a hand at the Abbey? I can go straight there to help set up. If you don't want or need help I will meet up for lunch first before heading out.
    Gassho
    Soen

Ensho,

So glad you are part of this...
    I would like everybody to focus on rakusu sewing. Bring material and extra material to sew rakusus please.

I should be arriving on the 27th and after the actual retreat we will have a party in the city center of Bruxels.

gassho

Taigu

Hi everyone!

I'm happy everything is putting up well!

Unfortunately, I'll be working away in the South until Wednesday, so you all know!
    I'll come up with a little summary for everyone coming and for the ones being kindly helping behind the screen!

Have a very very nice day everyone!
    gassho,
    Jinyu

Hello,

my wife asked a Brussels based friend of hers to make some suggestions regarding hotels that might not be extremely expensive. This is what the friend in question came up with (no guarantee that there are still beds available but definitely worth a try):

"I can just suggest this nice and small hotel in the Centre (Grote Markt)

http://www.hotelmatignon.be/

And, if you wanna trust a big company you can always try

http://www.nh-hotels.it/nh/it/hotels/be ... nberg.html

or

http://www.nh-hotels.com/nh/en/hotels/b ... ssels.html

This one is more "business" but I think that during Christmas time, prices should be affordable."

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Hi Shawn
    Do you have my mobile number? Will your cell phone work in Europe?
    Gassho
    Soen

Hi Shawn
    Do you have my mobile number? Will you cell phone work in Europe?
    Gassho
    Soen
    Yes and yes! I'll PM you mine as well just so you have it handy.

g

s

Hello,

those attending the retreat could maybe help finalise a last minute status-quo check list through adding/updating the following list in case of need (just an idea):

1. Location confirmed: YES (According to Jinyu), Kortenberg Abbey

1. Number of Zafus available : 2 (I'll bring 2 - Just add the ones you will be bringing to the overall number)

2. Accommodation still needed for whom/which dates: ?

3. Sleeping bags/ bed linen still needed:

4. Tea bags and biscuits (the secret ingredient to any successful retreat: Hans will bring a collection of tea bags and things that go "crumble" in the night.

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Hi Hans,
    Thanks for this.

I'll bring my own zafu (1) and zabuton (1).
    I have booked the Aris hotel in the city centre for the night of Dec 30th through booking.com. Shawn and Taigu are staying there too.
    I will bring my own sleeping bag to sleep in. I understand we all have to do that.
    I'll pack some buscuits.
    I'll bring my own towels etc (and basic survival stuff)
    Will also bring rakusu; lay robes; and everything I need for the ceremony.

Is all the incense; bells; altar stuff ok?

Gassho
    Soen

When Jinyu will be able to get in touch with us, he will tell us.
    The thing is I can bring a lot: bells (big and small) mokugyo, kakejiku of Kannon, incense, drum...Ig given a lift.
    If I have to go by train, well, it is another story...

gassho

Taigu

Hi everyone,

I'm back in Belgium now so I'll be reachable by message or mail.

I'll come back to you all tomorrow with all the news needed,

Have a good day everyone,
    gassho,
    Jinyu

PS/ DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES THAT DO NOT DEPEND ON MY WILL, I HAVE TO QUIT BELGIUM AGAIN.

I LL BE UNABLE TO DO THE WORK I WANT TO DO SERIOUSLY (CHECKING WHAT IS STILL TO BE DONE, CREATE A FILE TO HELP PEOPLE COMING, CREATE A SYSTEM TO PICK PEOPLE AT THE STATION AND AIRPORT, AND MAKE A LISTING OF WHAT WE HAVE NOW, AND WHAT IS STILL NEEDED).

I LL BE BACK AGAIN IN BELGIUM WEDNESDAY 30 NOVEMBER, AND I LL STAY IN THE COUNTRY FROM THAT DAY UNTIL THE RETREAT! SO, I LL BE ABLE TO ANSWER TO MAIL AND MESSAGES

I'M REALLY SORRY FOR THE PROBLEMS IT CAUSES,
    SO, I LL COME BACK TO YOU ALL WEDNESDAY!

gassho,
    Jinyu

Hello Jinyu,

(please everybody else - correct me if I am wrong or if you see things definitely) - please read what I am writing just "matter of factly". Life is what it is and we deal with it. It seems most of the retreat participants already worked out most of the things necessary to get their/our butts to Abdij Kortenberg in the meantime. One of the things that seem most important now from my limited perspective is that you can assure our teacher Taigu that you will be able to pick him up/ give him a ride to Kortenberg on the 27th so that he can actually carry some ritual equipment needed. This retreat is not only about coffee and biscuits (that too), but will involve one person's Shukke Tokudo as well. Please keep that in mind.

Please make some definite arrangements regarding the transportation matter of our teacher Taigu ASAP in a definite manner. I am just a participant and all I can do is ask.

The last question I personally have is of minor importance, but still a question that needs answering. Do we need to bring any cutlery (knives, forks, spoons...), yes or no?

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Hans and everybody,

I have a plan B , taking a TGV to Bruxels from one of the stations of the North of France on the day the retreat starts ( kind of morning time).Of course, I shall look like more like a huge turtle than a mighty bear... :P but that can be done. I would love to have somebody greeting me and helping me with the stuff once I get there.

I think, and can only think, that Jinyu is going through a very tough and busy time. I don't know for sure because he has not told me. Let's all have him and his family in our thoughts.

gassho

Taigu

Hello Taigu,

if you were to arrive at the Brussels TGV station sometime between 11 am and 1 PM, there is a good chance my wife could give you/us a lift to Kortenberg. I'll have to ask her though There's a 85% chance this will work as a plan B.

All the best,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Hi Taigu and Hans, and everyone,
    I’ll be arriving into town around 12ish I think. So, it’s probably a good idea to share mobile numbers so we can all hook up on the 27th. Should we share numbers via PMs?
    Here are other questions:
    We could all take responsibility for printing and bringing along our own chant books. Is the standard Treeleaf chant book ok?
    We could all commit to bring our own zafu and zabuton. That means no one needs to bring a spare.
    I could print out and post in the Abbey each day’s schedule to follow. I’d need this emailed from Taigu, however. Then I could look after it from there.
    Can Jinyu supply a basic floor plan of the zendo room? Taigu, as teacher, will need his teacher’s place. Normally, each participant is also assigned a place on a floor plan that is posted outside the zendo. Once we have a basic (even approximate) floor plan, we can do that. That will also allow us to assign roles: who’ll ring the bells (and sitting where)? Is there a Han to be struck? Will Hans be assisting Taigu and therefore be sitting near him? Will Hans be struck in the absence of a Han (only joking :wink: )
    With all bedding, towels and personal items being brought by each participant, that leaves:
    The altar, with its statue, candles and incense.
    A bowing mat for Taigu.
    Bells.
    Jukai and Tokudo requirements.

With Taigu looking after all that, then there is only the issue of food.
    Is the Tenzo ready to go?
    Are the menus done up?
    When will the food be bought? And for how many people?
    Is there a kitchen to prepare it in and a place to eat it?
    As Hans asked, do we need knives and folks etc.
    Jinyu: I think you need to answer as many of these questions as possible as soon as possible, if you can. The retreat starts in less than 30 days time!
    With all these tasks divided up, the whole thing should run fine. As you can see, I am a man of unreasonable faith!
    Gassho all
    Soen

Hello Soen,

if people want to send me their mobile phone numbers to my private email address, I will compile a mini-list and distribute it among the people participating. Here's my address: hstucken (at) gmx.de

Cheers and gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

P.S. Dear Jinyu, it's okay not to be able to get things done when life is really crazy, but please just send the appropiate information (once you have it) instead of sending messages talking about the days when you think you might have it. Doing so once is okay, but doing so repeatedly is slightly annoying.

Dear all
    Contact details send,

I am available for transport or any other logistics you need,

Gassho

Ensho

Hi everyone,

I'm just back in Brussels today!!! Bloody strokes at airports...

I'll be back to you all this week end, I'll be working exclusively on preparing the retreat (and sewing Kesa)!

Have a nice day everyone,
    gassho,
    Jinyu

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast