Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: -- Announcement -- Treeleaf Sangha Winter Retreat 2011

Re: -- Announcement -- Treeleaf Sangha Winter Retreat 2011

Here is another photo of the house

deep gassho,
    Jinyu

Hi Jinyu and all,

I was wanting to once again confirm that this is a go before I book my flights. ZMM had a sesshin that I was going to attend about the same time but I'd much rather be with my Sangha if possible. Flights for me are still about the same price so I was going to go ahead and lock them in.

Please let me know if this is still a go! Thanks.

Gassho,

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

If you want to come to the retreat you can book your flight and do your suitcase because the renting of the abbey is confirmed and paid! :wink:

Have a nice day!
    gassho,
    Jinyu

Hello Jinyu,

Any word on the final cost for the retreat itself?

Metta,

Saijun

For the price.... soon... sorry it is all my fault if you haven't it yet... ops:

Anyway, It will probably the cheapest one ever seen... seriously very cheap! We don't want to make profit and the rent is very cheap too so... Don't be afraid for the price it really can't be a problem in joining us!

Have a nice day!
    gassho,
    Jinyu

How's the weather late December in Belgium?

Cold Cold Cold! Isn't it, Jinyu? The one time I was in Belgium in winter I had a headache from the cold. Bald buddhists, like myself, would be well advised to pack a hat...
    Gassho

Hi!
    Like Soen said... it can get pretty cold here... generaly freezy and snowy weather in December! So... big jacket and a hat outside...especially if you are bold ;o)

Deep gassho,
    Jinyu

Hi

Congratulations to Jinyu and Soen,

I will move back to Belgium in December ( now in Lyon) so I would love to come to the sesshin,

Gassho

Ensho

Feel really welcome Ensho,

We are about to disclose all the necessary information for this retreat. Prices will be very low. You are very likely to have to bring sleeping bags, zafu, maybe blancket or zafuton and warm clothing.
    It isgoing to be a wonderful opportunity for everyone to experience the boundless heart of kannon, which is neither outside nor inside. So...Where the h... :mrgreen: is it???

gassho

Taigu

Hi everyone,
    I was about to post the prices and some recomendations tonight when I come back home but... well I'm doing it with my phone so you can all have it now.

So about the prices, we made them the lowest possible, they depend on the type f accommodation you choose. Three are possible.

1. Slepping in a bed, in a common room, 4 to 10 people on the same room. We would like young folks to not choose this type of accommodation, in order to let "not so younger ones" sleep more comfortably. ===> 45 euros (65 dollars)

2. Sleeping with your own sleeping bag and mat, in a common room. ===> 40 euros (58 dollars)

3. Sleeping with your own sleeping bag and mat, in the Zendo. ===> 35 euros (50 dollars)

The prices depends on the type of accommodations you choose, but know that no profit will be made. Any penny left after the retreat will be given to a local charity.

About the prices, again, it shouldn't be a reason not to come, I mean that if someone really wants to come but sincerely can't afford the whole price, send me a message (or to Taigu).

I'll send you more details tonight when I come home!
    Have a nice day/or night everyone,
    deep gassho,
    Jinyu

edit: Someone just asked me so I put it here: THE PRICES INCLUDED HERE INCLUDE FOOD AND EVERYTHING NEEDED DURING THE RETREAT. You just need to add: the travel to the retreat and come with your cloths, sleeping mat and bag, blankets, tooth brush and all cleaning stuff you want, ...

Great! Thank you Jinyu!
    This is per night correct (Very Very VERY affordable by the way... my heart sings and my bank account and wife are both smiling )?

Thank you very much for posting the prices!

Gassho
    Shohei

No, no ... These are the prices for the entire retreat! When I say cheap ... it is cheap! But don't expect a Venetian palace, it is an old part of a small rural abbey nothing fancy at all!!! Imagine an old guest house on the country side you just go to twice a year... it is more like this. They wanted to make some renovations, but the crisis being what it is, the place is clean but old... that way the prices are very low!
    In fact, we made the prices thinking that we would be 25 people at the retreat, it is very possible... if we are less (we won't be less than 15 I think) the fee will be a bit higher... but no more than 10 (or 15 bucks max of the max!!)... however, I really don't think it will be the case.

The same with food, we won't eat fancy food, just natural and seasonal products, mainly coming from Belgium and arrange in a simple but tasty way... You'll see :twisted:

At least that way, it should be possible for a lot of us to come... flights and traveling in general are so expensive those days...

Of course, people participating just for one or two days will pay a smaller fee!

Have a great day!
    gassho,
    Jinyu

Wow...for the whole retreat! That's amazing.

As for choosing accommodations, I would sooner have everyone attending have a bed before I would pick one. It's not self sacrifice mind you, just do not feel strongly enough to choose a bed over the floor. However I'd like to believe I'm no fool either and say that if a bed is open, I'll sleep in it. :lol:

Is there a difference between the Zendo & the Common Room? (Heated vs non)? Just wondering why a difference in price.

Last question (for now), do they offer some level of vegetarian options? If not it's ok. I can make arrangements but just would need to plan is all.

Thanks for all your work on this Jinyu!

Gassho,

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Quote Originally Posted by shards
    Is there a difference between the Zendo & the Common Room?
    Well they seem the same but the Zendo will certainly be a bit colder because of the ceramic floor, that is a fact.
    Because of the ceramic floor (and more generaly for your comfort) try to have some "blankets" or small yoga carpets as you like. We will have some carpets but on a ceramic floor it is not always enough for everyone, especially older ones... I know some old people who sat on "naked concrete floor" with Deshimaru in the seventies... they all sit on a chair now!

Anyway, the main thing is that people sleeping in the Zendo will probably get up sooner, they won't be just next the shower and toilet (not far anyway) and will have to pack and unpack their things every day and night ( we need to practice zazen in there).
    But depending on the number of fellows sleeping in these conditions, we will be sleeping in the zendo or in the common dining room (same conditions as the Zendo).

People sleeping on the floor in the common room, will be upstairs, next to toilets and showers and will not be oblige to pack and unpack... that is a huge difference!

Concerning food, it will be mainly vegetarian, with some chicken at some meals probably. So nothing too "extremist"... we won't eat "only carrots" or "only raw meat" arrrggghhh :lol:

Thank you for asking all this!

And by the way, I'm far to be the only one working on this! :roll:

Have a nice day,
    gassho,
    Jinyu

Excellent, not sure if I will be around then. Hopefully there will be room(floor) for late comers. If so, happy to volunteer for kitchen duty. Belgian beer is vegan right? :roll:

Thanks for the work you've put into this. Is there any task that I can help with?

Quote Originally Posted by Jinyu
    And by the way, I'm far to be the only one working on this! :roll:
    Sorry, my english not lasts that far, do you say you need help, then maybe just ask, e.g. me I wont be there too early on first day, but anything that can be done in advance, like collecting information, making it available here etc ...Or of course any help at the event itself,
    _()_
    Peter

Hi!
    Sorry, I'm the one with problems when it comes to English! :roll:
    I just wanted to say that a lot of us are working on the retreat!

I won't hesitate to ask for, if more help is needed!
    But thank you for asking :wink:
    deep gassho,
    Jinyu

You're welcome
    One question about heating though: can we expect some ? I not expect it like in my living room,
    but if there is none at all I'ld like to be prepared (thin guy me, freezing quickly),
    _()_
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lin
    One question about heating though: can we expect some ? I not expect it like in my living room,
    but if there is none at all I'ld like to be prepared (thin guy me, freezing quickly)
    I'm a big guy ... but I understand perfectly!
    Actually there is a heating system and we are going to use it. But windows are quite old (bad isolation then).
    On the other hand, except Taigu, no one will be alone in his room... so lets count with "human heat too" :lol:

But you shouldn't be afraid... we won't freeze... just bring some big "pull-overs" or sweaters and you'll be good!

Have a nice day!
    gassho,
    Jinyu

Hi all,
    Here are the brochures with registration information etc. linked are both the English and French versions in pdf format.

Gassho
    Shohei

Thank you, looks tempting
    _()_
    Peter

Shohei,

Looks awesome! A Treeleaf activity...in actual print! You'd think we were an actual sangha or something. :lol:

I so wIsh I could go...will miss seeing all of you but hope I can make it next time around.

Deep bows to all who are working to make this retreat a reality. I appreciate all your efforts so very much!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Shohei
    Hi all,
    Here are the brochures with registration information etc. linked are both the English and French versions in pdf format.

Gassho
    Shohei
    Wow that looks pro Shohei! Great job!

Many bows to all who are helping to put this together!

Gassho,

Shawn

Good job Shohei! Well done. Looking forward to it.
    Gassho
    Soen

...by the way, I guess we should all email this on to any Zen people we know ... ?

Dear Soen,

might I suggest we all wait with mailing the brochures around for one week in order to give long time Treeleaf members a chance to register first, since this is first and foremost a Treeleaf retreat (although obviously everyone is welcome.)

Gassho,

Hans

Dear Hans,
    That makes sense. Thanks. I will await direction on emailing them out from Taigu.
    Gassho,
    Soen

Thanks to Jinyu and Taigu for the information for the brouchures, retreat, great prices, french translations and all the tough stuff!
    Oh and the for the opportunity

Gassho
    Shohei

Hello all,

Wonderful brochure, nice work! I will be with you all on retreat - maybe not in person, but I will be with you . Thank you for all your work and dedication to us!

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei

Booked my tickets! My wife had a business trip to Sao Paulo, Brazil a couple months ago and she got stuck in NY on a layover. As such, American Airlines gave her an $800 travel voucher for her inconvenience. The price of my flight to Brussels was $772.10! Bummer for her, but worked out for me. Now I just need to work off the debt to her with 'honey-dos'. :wink:

Looking forward to practicing with you all,

Gassho,

Shawn

PS - If something happens to the retreat, I get first choice on Jinyu's sofa!!

Hi Shawn,
    Great news! Looking forward to meeting you next December.
    Gassho
    Soen

Hey Jinyu!

Any suggestions on hotels for 26th & 30th & 31st?

Gassho,

Shawn

Route 66 Buddha

Love the Buddha...to paraphrase modern idiomatic American English, "that is so 66..."

It would be nice to have that happen in 2012...a North American tour...

Quote Originally Posted by shards
    Hey Jinyu!

Any suggestions on hotels for 26th & 30th & 31st?

Gassho,

Shawn
    Hi Shawn,

Not really... now, but you could send in PM what kind of hotels you are looking for (for you alone or a couple, romantic or pragmatic,...) and what is your Budget... And I'll look more precisely in town!
    Don't hesitate!

By the way, I'm also here for people wanting to subscribe for the retreat, don't hesitate to send me a message or mail!

I also want to say: "thank you boundlessly" Shohei and Taigu for all the work you guys are doing on the retreat! You guys are being huge "positive motors" in all this... I'm just the guy gathering things... anyway,

deep gassho everyone,
    Jinyu

Deep gassho,

I'll be attending from afar, I'm afraid. College budgets and what not. Unfortunately making fruit-fly food doesn't quite cover my rent

See you all someday,
    Taylor

Flight booked! Now, to finish that Kesa!

Quote Originally Posted by soendoshin
    Flight booked! Now, to finish that Kesa!

Fantastic! So at least you, me and Jinyu will be there!

Gassho,

Shawn

... plus Taigu and the three Treeleaf priests. Still not enough to make a soccer team to take on the local Therevaden side. However, with two more, we could manage to turn out a baseball team

However, with two more, we could manage to turn out a baseball team
    We could at least play... cards! :mrgreen:

gassho,
    Jinyu

... plus Taigu and the three Treeleaf priests. Still not enough to make a soccer team to take on the local Therevaden side. However, with two more, we could manage to turn out a baseball team
    Hhhhmmm... You'll have to teach me how to play baseball first

Gassho

Rimon

Hi everyone

As the weather is changing, at least here were it is rainy and quite cold, we can say that a new season is coming ===> our retreat is approching.
    So,I need to share some more practical informations for people attending to our retreat.

Where

Our retreat will be held at the Kortenberg abbey.

Here is the address
    Abdijdreef 22
    3070 Kortenberg

I put all names in both languages (French and Dutch)
    The best and simplest way to get there is to take the train. From the airport, you first need to take a train to "Brussel Noord-Bruxelles Nord", it takes about 20minutes and is about 4 euros or less. From the this "Brussel Noord-Bruxelles Nord" station, you need to take the train to "Leuven-Louvain" and stop at Kortenberg. There are two trains per hour untill 8pm and one train per hour until 11PM. It takes about 20 minutes and is also about 3euros or less.
    There are different possibilities to get to the monastery but really this one is the easiest one.
    One you are at the station, you take the central street (quite small actually) called "stationstraat" and walk about 5 minutes (the same street turns into "karterstraat"), on your left a bit after a small supermarket is the "Abdijdreef".

When

The retreat will be 27-28-29-30 December 2011. (Thank you Peter :wink: )
    It will begin the 26 at 5pm and end about 3pm the last day with a moment to share and party after Soen's ordination that will be about 1PM.
    Not strict schedule is done yet. Of course, there is a schedule but not hour per hour... I'll do one for the middle of next week, so everyone will know precisly the number of zazens and meals,...

Who
    If someone hasn't yet said he want to participate... it is now! Because from now it will probably more and more difficult to have the type of accomodation you want.!

Anyway, here is the list I have today, of course it will change, I'll add the Changes in the list.

Taigu
    Shohei
    Fugen + (??? people)
    Mongen
    Soen
    Peter (Germany)
    Rimon
    Shards
    Ola???
    Janne???
    Jinyu

No one paid yet, and everyone asked for a bed except me and Peter... again, if your name doesn't appear, or if I made a mistake in the attribution of beds==> pm or mail me please to correct it as soon as possible!
    Concerning the prices, well except Taigu, everyone pay in function of the accommodation he choose, as we said in our flyer that as been share earlier on our
    forum, thank you Fugen and Shohei!, the prices are from 45 to 35 euros. So, guys sleeping in beds (in common bedrooms) pay 45euros.
    To be honest, it will be preferable to pay by bank to my bank account (I'll share it to people coming in the coming days). People who, for any reason, need to pay with cash it is Ok, just mail me to say it please.

How-What to have- and Sleeping
    For now, there are no women listed at the retreat, but it will surely change so, a small common bed room will be only for women. They are showers and toilets IN the building, at the same level with the rooms.

There are 4 showers and about the same number of toilets (one more at another level if I'm right, need to check when back home). It is not a lot but it is quite normal for small retreats. So we need to be organize and to let ladies have a special access to the showers during some periods of the day.

Beds are very simple and some have sheets. But honestly, I won't count on them if I was you. The best is to have a sleeping bag! If people really can't have one I will have some bedsheets available. Another thing, there cushions available... but without sheets!
    There is a heating system in the building and also hot water... but it will be continental Europe in the Winter... so don't expect to have the same weather than Florida (unfortunately). Also, it is an old building, so heating system or not... please take warm clothes.
    You also will need to take your own towel. It is not an hotel, just a small and simple place in a nice parc.
    Bring your personal hygiene stuff too, tooth brush, shampoo,...
    No need to say that everyone will need underwear and that kind of things :lol: but a word about clothing. As I said to someone by mail, it is not a "fancy Buddhist dress" contest. So, if you have a simple and dark kimono for practice it is ok, if you have a dark samue it is ok... but "normal" clothing if it is dark and sufficiently comfortable for you to practice with will be great!

Eating
    Our Tenzo will be Rimon. I
    The menus are not available yet, it is all my fault. Rimon and me will share our ideas by mail, and will try to have a final menu by the end of the week.
    Anyway, it will be simple seasonal food. All vegetarian!
    IF PEOPLE COMING SUFFER FROM ANY KIND OF ILNESS OR ALLERGY, PLEASE SHARE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

Zazenning
    There is no zabutons and zafus available... I still hope that a Sangha will share theirs with us, but most of them use their stuff on that period because they also have retreats. Anyway, please bring whatever you find useful for you to have a nice posture (zafu, blankets,...).
    The floor is a ceramic floor, so quite bad for our knees. I'm buying old carpets as much as I can, but for now, I don't have enough of them for everyone! So, i'm in a process of getting more to be sure that everyone as at least a carpet under his knees.

Now, Some asked who is going to be do what? the ino? who will assist the Tenzo? who will this and that? ===> I don't know!

For now a small list of duties and people coming is shared at a gmail address created (one hour ago) especially for the retreat. As soon as decision are being made, we will add informations to the list and then share it here!

Our retreat is also about sewing and sharing about our way to live, to actualize kannon in our life and practice. More practical informations will be add.
    For now, people can bring the rakusu or kesa they are working on, maybe the thread of the right color. Don't take needles in an airplane, we will have needles, and irons (at least two) available.

Also, there is mobile coverage if you need to call your family or take an important call.

You will have more practical informations in the coming days.

Again, if someone has a question PLEASE, share it HERE, unless it is very personal, in order for everyone to have answers, your question can help someone else...
    NEVER hesitate to ask for anything... I'm available, sometimes I bit long to answer but always available!

I understand that people coming are a bit concerned by the fact that I didn't gave much informations the last two months.
    And I apologize sincerely for it.

I'll try, with the help of people coming who wants to participate in the organization (just say if you are interested), to give you folks a detail schedule, menu,"who is sleeping in which room" and these practical informations as soon as possible.

Again, I'm sorry it took so long!
    I'm sure this post will live more and more from now!

have a very nice day everyone!
    Deep gassho,

Jinyu

Gassho Jinyu,
    thanks for all your efforts! So the shift to 27th..30th did not work out ?
    _()_
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lin
    thanks for all your efforts! So the shift to 27th..30th did not work out ?
    Yes yes it did... Sorry just a copy_paste mistake!
    Of course it did! ops:

Have a nice day everyone!
    gassho,
    Jinyu

Jinyu,
    Your work is much appreciated. Thank you very much.
    Gassho
    Soen

Thank you Soen... but don't be shy... you (and others) in a way or another are making A LOT for this retreat!

gassho,
    Jinyu

Bonjour, Hallo & Gutentag!

Jinyu! Do you have any recommendations on hotels in Brussels? I am coming in the day before the retreat and will stay for a couple days after so making the last minute additions.

Merci, Danke & Dankje!

G,

s

Nindo

Just wondering whether you guys will be online in some way? Will the rest of us be able to sit with you (virtually)?

I was also wondering if this was going to be online?

Gassho

Ray

Hi, Alas it seems there will only be recorded live as there is no network there also HURRAY it some things will be posted up (TBD for sure) as soon as possible afterwards.

Gassho
    Shohei

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast