X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jinyu
    • May 2009

-- Announcement -- Treeleaf Sangha Winter Retreat 2011

Hi everyone

I'm very happy to give you more details about the retreat we will have this year (26-27-28-29 December 2011). The retreat will take pace in a small town near Brussels called Kortenberg. We will have a small part of an old abbey, an old house often rented by meditation groups. This abbey is a local center for spiritual meetings and retreats and a fewmonks from the salvatorian order still live there. The house we will rent is facing the central building, with a little park in between and both are near a small lake.

The "theme" of this retreat, under the guidance of Taigu, will be "Faces of Kannon, living actively Kannon in our daily lives". During this retreat, the teachings will be given by our three priests-in-training Shohei, Hans and Fugen. Of course our main practice will be Shikantaza Zazen, but we also will have the opportunity to study the Kesa together.

Through sitting, work practice (samu), sharing in circle, dokusan and sewing, we will be living together the Buddhist path. Apart from discussion time and workshops, we will ask people to refrain from speaking and taste silence.We will also begin the sewing of a big funzo-e Kesa together. Sharing the making of this "garment of no self", a Kesa for the Sangha, is a wonderful opportunity.

On the last day of the retreat, two of our Sangha members will receive Tokudo (Shukke Tokudo) and become two new unsui, priests in training. And we will have a small party at the end of the retreat.

More practical information will be given on the forum, and I'll make a flyer with all the details in the coming weeks.

deep gassho,
    Jinyu
    Jinyu aka Luis aka Silly guy from Brussels
  • Shugen
    Treeleaf Unsui
    • Nov 2007

-- Announcement -- Treeleaf Sangha Winter Retreat 2011

Very exciting!!!

Ron
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Comment

• Tb
      • Jan 2008

Re: -- Announcement -- Treeleaf Sangha Winter Retreat 2011

Hi.

Thank you, will be there, hopefully.

Mtfbwy
      Fugen
      Life is our temple and its all good practice
      Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Dosho
        • Jun 2008

Excellent news Jinyu!!

Gassho,
        Dosho

Comment

• Hans
          • Mar 2007

Hello,

thank you for the information Jinyu.

Have a great Sunday!

Gassho,

Hans

Comment

• anista
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Jinyu
            On the last day of the retreat, two of our Sangha members will receive Tokudo (Shukke Tokudo) and become two new unsui, priests in training.
            Ok, I have been away for some weeks so perhaps I have missed this completely. Is this two new unsui in addition to the other three? Could you tell me a bit more about this?

/Philip
            The mind does not know itself; the mind does not see itself
            The mind that fabricates perceptions is false; the mind without perceptions is nirv??a

Comment

• Shohei
              • Oct 2007

Thank you for the update Jinyu, Exciting indeed!
              Gassho
              Shohei

Comment

• Kyonin
                Treeleaf Priest / Engineer
                • Oct 2010

Oh boy!! I'd love to go... I just need to start saving money now. Hope I can go.

Thanks for the info, mate.
                Hondō Kyōnin
                奔道 協忍

Comment

• Myozan Kodo
                  Friend of Treeleaf
                  • May 2010

Hi Jinyu,
                  I'll be there! Count me in! And thank you so much for your hard work with Taigu.
                  If there is anything I can do to help, please just PM me.
                  It will be great to meet so many Treeleafers in the flesh.
                  Gassho,
                  Soen

Comment

• Taigu
                    Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage Priest
                    • Aug 2008

Yes, Philip. Soen and Jinyu will receive Shukke Tokudo, which means that they will be simple priests in training and start a very long journey. It won't give them authority to teach by themselves but to study and practice for many long years. One day they may or not receive Dharma transmission, but that's another story. For now, sitting, sewing, studying and serving will be their daily bread.

gassho

Taigu

Comment

• Dosho
                      • Jun 2008

Congrats to Soen and Jinyu (that's two congrats for Soen this week!)!! Deep bows to both of you and your practice...beginners again, and again, and again...

Gassho,
                      Dosho

Comment

• Jundo
                        Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                        • Apr 2006

Hi,

This is a good time to say again what "Shukke Tokudo" means, and what it is not.

Perhaps it is much like first training to be, maybe someday, clergy in any religion, with many years of hardship and dedication before perhaps eventually being a true priest or rabbi many years later, let alone being recognized for true competence to teach others. It is somewhat like entering medical school to, perhaps with much dedication and sweat and time, have some rough road to being a physician and healer many years hence ... although there are many hurdles between now and then. It is being a beginner ... not a teacher, not a doctor, not even a fully ordained Buddhist priest ... but only a novice, a trainee ... who may or may not continue far and long on that hard road that takes endless years, truly a lifetime or more (Perhaps most will not finish the coarse, probably only some will be suitable for recognition as a teacher years later, for the process of training takes years, "Dharma Transmission" never a promise or guaranty, not even likely).

Nor is it a raising of someone's status among members of the Sangha ... quite the contrary, it is truly a lowering to be a servant on the vessel, part of the helping errand boys and girls to serve the Sangha.

In centuries past, hundreds and hundreds of men and women would enter a monastery for Buddhist Practice, some staying there years or a lifetime. Only a handful of these clerics would ever receive recognition as a teacher or senior priest, a small percentage. I think this is an important point. (Other people would continue to practice at home, also a powerful path).

This was written for our ordinations last year ...

Traditionally, in India, China, Japan and the other Buddhist countries of Asia, one was expected to leave one’s home and family behind in order to begin the necessary training and practice of an “apprentice”. Thus, the ancient ceremony of ordination in Buddhism became known as Shukke Tokudo, “Leaving Home to Take the Way”. Now, in modern Japan and in the West, one of the great changes in the nature of Buddhist clergy has been that most of us function more as “ministers” than “monks”, with family and children, often with outside jobs as “Right Livelihood” supporting us, while ministering to a community of parishioners. This, in keeping with changes in cultures and society, has done much to bring Buddhism out from behind monastery walls. While, now, we may be living in a monastic setting for periods of weeks or months (and thus can be called “monks” during such times), we then return to the world beyond monastery walls, where these teachings have such relevance for helping people in this ordinary life. Thus, the term “leaving home” has come to have a wider meaning, of “leaving behind” greed, anger, ignorance, the harmful emotions and attachments that fuel so much of this world, in order to find the “True Home” we all share. In such way, we find that Home that can never be left, take to the Way that cannot be taken.

Someone’s undertaking “Shukke Tokudo” is not a “raising up” of their position in the Sangha, it is not an honor or “promotion” into some exalted status, not by any meaning. Far from it, it is a lowering of oneself in offering to the community, much as all of us sometimes deeply bow upon the ground in humility, raising up others and the whole world above our humbled heads.

It is to volunteer and offer oneself as the lowest ‘sailor on the ship’ at the beck and call of the passengers' well-being and needs, a nurse to help clean soiled linens, a brother or sister to sacrifice oneself for a family, a friend offering to help carry a burden. One must be committed primarily to serve and benefit others, and one must not undertake such a road for one’s own benefit, praise or reward.

What is more, the undertaking of “Shukke Tokudo” is not the end of the road of training, not by any meaning. Far from it, it is but the first baby steps. Perhaps, years down the road, the person will find that that they still have the inner calling to continue this path … and, perhaps, years down the road, they may have embodied this Tradition sufficiently to continue it and be certified as full “priest” and a teacher … but there is no guaranty of any of that. For this reason, one undertaking “Home Leaving” is not yet recognized in the Zen world as truly a fully ordained “priest” for many years, and is called an “Unsui”, meaning “clouds and water”. The best translation in English is “apprentice priest” or “priest trainee”. Perhaps, years down the road, some trainees will be felt to have embodied these traditions sufficiently in order to function independently as teachers … but not necessarily. For now, they are just school children expected to learn … with the future not assured. (Of course, we are all beginners, all children … all learning from each other … teachers learning from students too).

We hope that, in the coming years, other people will feel this same calling. It must be by mutual decision. It is not something that should be rushed into, nor rushed through. Although people are all different, maybe a good time to first consider such a thing would be only after practicing for 5 years or longer, and then it should be deeply thought about (and non-thought about) for longer still before first taking on the responsibilities of being an apprentice student-priest.

The purpose of priest training is to prepare individuals for a life dedicated to exemplifying the Dharma with integrity via empowering them to extend Buddhist teachings and Soto Zen practice out in the world, all in keeping with the traditional teachings of Soto Zen Buddhism and the philosophy of our Lineage.

Priest training encourages the continuing unfolding of the Bodhisattva ideal characterized by the Six Paramitas of giving, ethical conduct, patience, energy, meditation, and wisdom. Yet the heart and flowering of our way is always Shikantaza, sitting and moving in stillness without grasping or rejecting any of the constantly arising and changing phenomena of life as-they-are, the life practice of the Buddhas and Ancestors manifesting and realizing the Genjô-kôan, the fundamental point actualized through this life-practice

Although much of the training and experience-gathering to be acquired, by necessity in our Lineage, must occur at a distance, with some ingenuity and in small steps and pieces, all must be part of an unbroken whole. It is the quality of the results which matter most, and the maintenance of integrity throughout, more than the traditional road followed to arrive at the destination. In this training, both teacher and student must use care, employ great effort and creativity, overcome any hurdles and pay constant attention to detail such that no aspect of training is neglected.

The period of formation that follows upon novice ordination (shukke tokudo) may continue for any number of years prior to possible (although never inevitable) Dharma Transmission, but truly continues as a lifelong endeavor that will sustain individuals dedicated to exemplifying the Dharma and the the Bodhisattva ideal. Completing formal priest training will mean that an individual has internalized the tradition, is capable of transmitting it, and vows to devote her or himself to a life of continuous practice and service.The individual’s dedication to the elements of priest training must enable him or her to maintain a regular, disciplined zazen practice, to instruct and guide others in their practice, to present and discuss the history and teachings of Buddhism and Soto Zen, to perform services and ceremonies in the Soto style as appropriate and required in the circumstance, and to actively nurture and serve both Sangha and the larger community and society.

In addition, priest training must make the individual aware of the highest ethical standards which must always be maintained by a member of the clergy, thereby assisting him or her in maintaining such standards in his or her personal life at all times. Training will also enable the individual to demonstrate personal qualities that inspire trust and confidence and encourage others to practice. Finally, training will enable the individual to clearly understand – and communicate to others – the relationship of Zen teaching and practice to everyday life.
                        Gassho, Jundo
                        ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• Myoku
                          • Jul 2010

Its good news to hear about two new priests in training, _()_ to you, however, with being so close to
                          christmas time its bad news for me, I wont be able to attend. I'm not so much into christmas, but
                          my wife and the children are christian. I wish it would have been like in 2010 at the begin of
                          December But its always good training to live with disappointment too, so dont worry ;-)
                          _()_
                          Peter

Comment

• Jundo
                            Treeleaf Founder and Priest
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Peter Lin
                            Its good news to hear about two new priests in training, _()_ to you, however, with being so close to
                            christmas time its bad news for me, I wont be able to attend. I'm not so much into christmas, but
                            my wife and the children are christian. I wish it would have been like in 2010 at the begin of
                            December But its always good training to live with disappointment too, so dont worry ;-)
                            _()_
                            Peter
                            Hi Peter,

I am planning that we will also have our 2-day, online netcast "Rohatsu Retreat" the week of December 8th ... as we did these past years.

AS A MATTER OF FACT, YOU CAN SIT OUR ROHATSU RETREAT RIGHT NOW! A WONDERFUL FACT OF OUR RETREATS IS THAT THEY ARE HERE ANY TIME, ANY WHERE, NEVER TOO EARLY NOR TOO LATE! 8) Here is the link ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/sit-a-long/with ... 10---.html

That will be in addition to Taigu's Retreat.

Gassho, Jundo
                            ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Comment

• anista
                              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Taigu
                              Yes, Philip. Soen and Jinyu will receive Shukke Tokudo, which means that they will be simple priests in training and start a very long journey. It won't give them authority to teach by themselves but to study and practice for many long years. One day they may or not receive Dharma transmission, but that's another story. For now, sitting, sewing, studying and serving will be their daily bread.

gassho

Taigu
                              Great! Five unsui, like the five jinas. Anyway, congratulations to Jinyu and Soen!

If my economy allows it, I will attend the retreat.

/Philip
                              The mind does not know itself; the mind does not see itself
                              The mind that fabricates perceptions is false; the mind without perceptions is nirv??a

Comment

Working...