Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: -- Announcement -- Treeleaf Sangha Winter Retreat 2011

-- Announcement -- Treeleaf Sangha Winter Retreat 2011

Hi everyone

I'm very happy to give you more details about the retreat we will have this year (26-27-28-29 December 2011). The retreat will take pace in a small town near Brussels called Kortenberg. We will have a small part of an old abbey, an old house often rented by meditation groups. This abbey is a local center for spiritual meetings and retreats and a fewmonks from the salvatorian order still live there. The house we will rent is facing the central building, with a little park in between and both are near a small lake.

The "theme" of this retreat, under the guidance of Taigu, will be "Faces of Kannon, living actively Kannon in our daily lives". During this retreat, the teachings will be given by our three priests-in-training Shohei, Hans and Fugen. Of course our main practice will be Shikantaza Zazen, but we also will have the opportunity to study the Kesa together.

Through sitting, work practice (samu), sharing in circle, dokusan and sewing, we will be living together the Buddhist path. Apart from discussion time and workshops, we will ask people to refrain from speaking and taste silence.We will also begin the sewing of a big funzo-e Kesa together. Sharing the making of this "garment of no self", a Kesa for the Sangha, is a wonderful opportunity.

On the last day of the retreat, two of our Sangha members will receive Tokudo (Shukke Tokudo) and become two new unsui, priests in training. And we will have a small party at the end of the retreat.

More practical information will be given on the forum, and I'll make a flyer with all the details in the coming weeks.

deep gassho,
    Jinyu

-- Announcement -- Treeleaf Sangha Winter Retreat 2011

Very exciting!!!

Ron

Re: -- Announcement -- Treeleaf Sangha Winter Retreat 2011

Hi.

Thank you, will be there, hopefully.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Excellent news Jinyu!!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hello,

thank you for the information Jinyu.

Have a great Sunday!

Gassho,

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Jinyu
    On the last day of the retreat, two of our Sangha members will receive Tokudo (Shukke Tokudo) and become two new unsui, priests in training.
    Ok, I have been away for some weeks so perhaps I have missed this completely. Is this two new unsui in addition to the other three? Could you tell me a bit more about this?

/Philip

Thank you for the update Jinyu, Exciting indeed!
    Gassho
    Shohei

Oh boy!! I'd love to go... I just need to start saving money now. Hope I can go.

Thanks for the info, mate.

Hi Jinyu,
    I'll be there! Count me in! And thank you so much for your hard work with Taigu.
    If there is anything I can do to help, please just PM me.
    It will be great to meet so many Treeleafers in the flesh.
    Gassho,
    Soen

Yes, Philip. Soen and Jinyu will receive Shukke Tokudo, which means that they will be simple priests in training and start a very long journey. It won't give them authority to teach by themselves but to study and practice for many long years. One day they may or not receive Dharma transmission, but that's another story. For now, sitting, sewing, studying and serving will be their daily bread.

gassho

Taigu

Congrats to Soen and Jinyu (that's two congrats for Soen this week!)!! Deep bows to both of you and your practice...beginners again, and again, and again...

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi,

This is a good time to say again what "Shukke Tokudo" means, and what it is not.

Perhaps it is much like first training to be, maybe someday, clergy in any religion, with many years of hardship and dedication before perhaps eventually being a true priest or rabbi many years later, let alone being recognized for true competence to teach others. It is somewhat like entering medical school to, perhaps with much dedication and sweat and time, have some rough road to being a physician and healer many years hence ... although there are many hurdles between now and then. It is being a beginner ... not a teacher, not a doctor, not even a fully ordained Buddhist priest ... but only a novice, a trainee ... who may or may not continue far and long on that hard road that takes endless years, truly a lifetime or more (Perhaps most will not finish the coarse, probably only some will be suitable for recognition as a teacher years later, for the process of training takes years, "Dharma Transmission" never a promise or guaranty, not even likely).

Nor is it a raising of someone's status among members of the Sangha ... quite the contrary, it is truly a lowering to be a servant on the vessel, part of the helping errand boys and girls to serve the Sangha.

In centuries past, hundreds and hundreds of men and women would enter a monastery for Buddhist Practice, some staying there years or a lifetime. Only a handful of these clerics would ever receive recognition as a teacher or senior priest, a small percentage. I think this is an important point. (Other people would continue to practice at home, also a powerful path).

This was written for our ordinations last year ...

Traditionally, in India, China, Japan and the other Buddhist countries of Asia, one was expected to leave one’s home and family behind in order to begin the necessary training and practice of an “apprentice”. Thus, the ancient ceremony of ordination in Buddhism became known as Shukke Tokudo, “Leaving Home to Take the Way”. Now, in modern Japan and in the West, one of the great changes in the nature of Buddhist clergy has been that most of us function more as “ministers” than “monks”, with family and children, often with outside jobs as “Right Livelihood” supporting us, while ministering to a community of parishioners. This, in keeping with changes in cultures and society, has done much to bring Buddhism out from behind monastery walls. While, now, we may be living in a monastic setting for periods of weeks or months (and thus can be called “monks” during such times), we then return to the world beyond monastery walls, where these teachings have such relevance for helping people in this ordinary life. Thus, the term “leaving home” has come to have a wider meaning, of “leaving behind” greed, anger, ignorance, the harmful emotions and attachments that fuel so much of this world, in order to find the “True Home” we all share. In such way, we find that Home that can never be left, take to the Way that cannot be taken.

Someone’s undertaking “Shukke Tokudo” is not a “raising up” of their position in the Sangha, it is not an honor or “promotion” into some exalted status, not by any meaning. Far from it, it is a lowering of oneself in offering to the community, much as all of us sometimes deeply bow upon the ground in humility, raising up others and the whole world above our humbled heads.

It is to volunteer and offer oneself as the lowest ‘sailor on the ship’ at the beck and call of the passengers' well-being and needs, a nurse to help clean soiled linens, a brother or sister to sacrifice oneself for a family, a friend offering to help carry a burden. One must be committed primarily to serve and benefit others, and one must not undertake such a road for one’s own benefit, praise or reward.

What is more, the undertaking of “Shukke Tokudo” is not the end of the road of training, not by any meaning. Far from it, it is but the first baby steps. Perhaps, years down the road, the person will find that that they still have the inner calling to continue this path … and, perhaps, years down the road, they may have embodied this Tradition sufficiently to continue it and be certified as full “priest” and a teacher … but there is no guaranty of any of that. For this reason, one undertaking “Home Leaving” is not yet recognized in the Zen world as truly a fully ordained “priest” for many years, and is called an “Unsui”, meaning “clouds and water”. The best translation in English is “apprentice priest” or “priest trainee”. Perhaps, years down the road, some trainees will be felt to have embodied these traditions sufficiently in order to function independently as teachers … but not necessarily. For now, they are just school children expected to learn … with the future not assured. (Of course, we are all beginners, all children … all learning from each other … teachers learning from students too).

We hope that, in the coming years, other people will feel this same calling. It must be by mutual decision. It is not something that should be rushed into, nor rushed through. Although people are all different, maybe a good time to first consider such a thing would be only after practicing for 5 years or longer, and then it should be deeply thought about (and non-thought about) for longer still before first taking on the responsibilities of being an apprentice student-priest.

The purpose of priest training is to prepare individuals for a life dedicated to exemplifying the Dharma with integrity via empowering them to extend Buddhist teachings and Soto Zen practice out in the world, all in keeping with the traditional teachings of Soto Zen Buddhism and the philosophy of our Lineage.

Priest training encourages the continuing unfolding of the Bodhisattva ideal characterized by the Six Paramitas of giving, ethical conduct, patience, energy, meditation, and wisdom. Yet the heart and flowering of our way is always Shikantaza, sitting and moving in stillness without grasping or rejecting any of the constantly arising and changing phenomena of life as-they-are, the life practice of the Buddhas and Ancestors manifesting and realizing the Genjô-kôan, the fundamental point actualized through this life-practice

Although much of the training and experience-gathering to be acquired, by necessity in our Lineage, must occur at a distance, with some ingenuity and in small steps and pieces, all must be part of an unbroken whole. It is the quality of the results which matter most, and the maintenance of integrity throughout, more than the traditional road followed to arrive at the destination. In this training, both teacher and student must use care, employ great effort and creativity, overcome any hurdles and pay constant attention to detail such that no aspect of training is neglected.

The period of formation that follows upon novice ordination (shukke tokudo) may continue for any number of years prior to possible (although never inevitable) Dharma Transmission, but truly continues as a lifelong endeavor that will sustain individuals dedicated to exemplifying the Dharma and the the Bodhisattva ideal. Completing formal priest training will mean that an individual has internalized the tradition, is capable of transmitting it, and vows to devote her or himself to a life of continuous practice and service.The individual’s dedication to the elements of priest training must enable him or her to maintain a regular, disciplined zazen practice, to instruct and guide others in their practice, to present and discuss the history and teachings of Buddhism and Soto Zen, to perform services and ceremonies in the Soto style as appropriate and required in the circumstance, and to actively nurture and serve both Sangha and the larger community and society.

In addition, priest training must make the individual aware of the highest ethical standards which must always be maintained by a member of the clergy, thereby assisting him or her in maintaining such standards in his or her personal life at all times. Training will also enable the individual to demonstrate personal qualities that inspire trust and confidence and encourage others to practice. Finally, training will enable the individual to clearly understand – and communicate to others – the relationship of Zen teaching and practice to everyday life.
    Gassho, Jundo

Its good news to hear about two new priests in training, _()_ to you, however, with being so close to
    christmas time its bad news for me, I wont be able to attend. I'm not so much into christmas, but
    my wife and the children are christian. I wish it would have been like in 2010 at the begin of
    December But its always good training to live with disappointment too, so dont worry ;-)
    _()_
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lin
    Its good news to hear about two new priests in training, _()_ to you, however, with being so close to
    christmas time its bad news for me, I wont be able to attend. I'm not so much into christmas, but
    my wife and the children are christian. I wish it would have been like in 2010 at the begin of
    December But its always good training to live with disappointment too, so dont worry ;-)
    _()_
    Peter
    Hi Peter,

I am planning that we will also have our 2-day, online netcast "Rohatsu Retreat" the week of December 8th ... as we did these past years.

AS A MATTER OF FACT, YOU CAN SIT OUR ROHATSU RETREAT RIGHT NOW! A WONDERFUL FACT OF OUR RETREATS IS THAT THEY ARE HERE ANY TIME, ANY WHERE, NEVER TOO EARLY NOR TOO LATE! 8) Here is the link ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/sit-a-long/with ... 10---.html

That will be in addition to Taigu's Retreat.

Gassho, Jundo

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    Yes, Philip. Soen and Jinyu will receive Shukke Tokudo, which means that they will be simple priests in training and start a very long journey. It won't give them authority to teach by themselves but to study and practice for many long years. One day they may or not receive Dharma transmission, but that's another story. For now, sitting, sewing, studying and serving will be their daily bread.

gassho

Taigu
    Great! Five unsui, like the five jinas. Anyway, congratulations to Jinyu and Soen!

If my economy allows it, I will attend the retreat.

/Philip

Like Peter I feel a touch disappointed by the timing of the retreat, but so glad for Treeleaf and Soen and Jinyu who have made this step.
    Hopefully this will open more possibilities in theb future.

Conratulations.

I'm afraid I haven't got the finances to attend either, as much as I would love to.

So I will wait for the Treeleaf Sangha American Southwest Retreat (hint, hint) :mrgreen:

Hi everyone!
    I'm very happy we will have the opportunity to practice a sesshin together. And I hope you'll have the time to find out how to come... But of course, this retreat isn't an obligation... it is more like an opportunity.
    I know some of you have some problems with the date, but it has been quite difficult to find a matching week, and the choice had to be made.

I'll give you all more practical informations in the coming weeks, but if someone, for a reason or another, needs any precise information by then, please PM me or Taigu.

I'm very happy that Soen and I have the opportunity to dedicate ourselves to others and, following the example of our three priests-in-training, serve the Sangha the best we can. Thanks to everyone for your kind words! A long road in front of us... sewing endlessly the Kesa of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho
    beginners again, and again, and again...
    deep gassho,
    Jinyu

Great News for Tree Leaf, best wishes to Soen, Jinyu and Phillip in their preparations. Like some others have mentioned, I may not be able to attend but will put it on my bucket list

Great to hear! I am planning on attending and only have one conflict to work out. Provided that can be rearranged I look forward to seeing everyone!

Gassho,

Shawn

Hmmmm... I'd love to come. Unfortunately the 26th of december is a major family holiday here and I could burn in hell if I leave the 26th :twisted:
    Would it make any sense to arrive a day later?

Gassho

Rimon

Hello all,

Best wishes to Soen and Jinyu as they begin this marvelous journey! I would love to be able to go on retreat with you in person, but I will not be able to at this time. But I can promise you, I will be 'retreating' with you, here at my home.

Such a wonderful and exciting opportunity this is for Treeleaf!

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei

Hi Rimon,

We might actually try to move the starting day to the 27 as it seems to be a problem for a few people. We see what can be done. You would of course be welcome anytime in the retreat.

gassho

Taigu

Quote Originally Posted by murasaki
    I'm afraid I haven't got the finances to attend either, as much as I would love to.

So I will wait for the Treeleaf Sangha American Southwest Retreat (hint, hint) :mrgreen:
    Hmmm. Don't be surprised if, somewhere down the road, there is a "Route 66 Retreat" ... with me driving from New York to Chicago to Texas to Arizona to LA (plus getting Canada in there somehow ... who knows where else ...) ... having little Retreats along the way. Just saying. Maybe in 2012. Some chance of a small scale North America visit sometime in 2011 too.

No promises about the future, only aspirations.

Gassho, Jundo

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    Hi Rimon,

We might actually try to move the starting day to the 27 as it seems to be a problem for a few people. We see what can be done. You would of course be welcome anytime in the retreat.

gassho

Taigu
    That would be great! Thank you so much Taigu!

Gassho

Rimon

Thanks Taigu, this "anytime welcome" opens up new possibilities ...when i leave with first train on 27th I should be able to arrive around 15:30, however, thats current trains schedule, they have no schedules for december 2011 yet.
    _()_
    Peter

If this works, the retreat should start on the evening of the 27th and end on the 30th around 12:00. BY the way if you are an experienced cook, please let us know. We need a Tenzo for the retreat.

gassho

Taigu

Great to see the seeds of Treeleaf taking root. Gassho, Zak

Dear Treeleafers,
    Thank you for the good wishes for Jinyu and I. I hope we can serve the Sangha well in the years ahead.
    Personally, it has been a long journey to this beginning point. I started sitting in the late 1990s, but have been fascinated by the Buddhist sutras since I was a teenager. Eventually I took Jukai with Paul Haller Roshi, Abbot of San Francisco Zen Centre, and now have found a teacher I trust in Taigu. His wisdom and compassion are a touch stone.
    What does Tokudo mean? Finding a homeless home in the service of the dharma; the start of a long journey, which had been started anyway; walking through a doorway – being the same person on either side of that doorway, but still entirely changed (as we all are from moment to moment).
    This December retreat will be the start of many I hope. Meeting eyeball to eyeball and sitting together will be great – either in the flesh or in cyberspace. Jundo's North American retreat idea is great too. This Sangha is truly global.
    And there is nothing else like it in the world.
    Deep bows all,
    Soen

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Hmmm. Don't be surprised if, somewhere down the road, there is a "Route 66 Retreat" ... with me driving from New York to Chicago to Texas to Arizona to LA (plus getting Canada in there somehow ... who knows where else ...) ... having little Retreats along the way. Just saying. Maybe in 2012. Some chance of a small scale North America visit sometime in 2011 too.
    Yeah ..Get your kicks on Route 66!! Remember Jundo Rte 66 actually begins in the Chicago suburbs, so the "real" pilgrimage would start in the Land of Lincoln!!!! Whatever route you might take however, I am sure we can meet up on the pilgrimage road to spend some time all across the continent....Yeah ROAD TRIP!!!!

Gassho,

Seishin Kyrill

Gassho, Jundo
    A whistle stop tour...that would be very nice.

Gassho, Jundo
    Excellent, hope your plans work out. I'll definatly make plans for that one.

Unfortunatly I too can not swing the trip across the pond in December (some year ) but I will be joing everyone in spirit, and also my warm wishes to my friends Jinyu, and Soen on thier wonderful journey.
    Great news, all around for Treeleaf.

Gassho.

Many fallicitations Soen and Jinyu, I am afraid I will not be able to join you in December but my heart will be with you all the way

Jinyu and Soen, Deep bows and a congratulations to both of you, very much looking forward the retreat!

Gassho
    Shohei

Jinyu and Soen, thank you for your practice and your commitment to the sangha and the dharma! Unfortunately, my heart very much wants to join you at the retreat, but my bank account councels otherwise. :roll:

The idea of a North American Treeleaf tour retreat sounds like a wonderful idea, and I hope it or something like it comes to pass. If its in the summer time, and you feel like stopping in Mon County North Central WV, you know on a whim (hehe), there are some lovely walking botanical gardens here that could be used for kinhin and clearings for sitting.

Gassho, Jundo
    Stop on by Springfield, IL. We can get a Cozy Dog. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cozy_Dog_Drive_In

Hi everyone!
    Thanks to everyone or your kind words... very touching! I also like Jundo's idea, could be great really!
    I hope I'll be able to give your more practical informations about the retreat in the coming weeks... I'm still waiting for some precise information from the abbey! And to be honest I'm also in a very busy week because of my future job.
    Anyway, I don't forget you guys, I'll share more as soon as I know more! :lol:

gassho,
    Jinyu

Route 66 Buddha

Hi Jinyu,

So then the dates would be 27-31 correct? Just discussing with my ex on flipping my kids' visit to the week before Christmas instead of after. Right now it's not too bad price wise either. Dec 25 - Jan 1 flights to Brussels is only $700. Not bad from Dallas. I'm also hoping the get my boss (who is in Munich) to agree to make it a business trip and maybe allow me to get the flight covered by work...but one thing at a time.

Gassho,

Shawn

Too bad I won't be able to go, but I will be there in spirit!!!!

And I too really like Jundo's idea!!

Gassho

Seiryu

Quote Originally Posted by murasaki

Gassho, Jundo
    If this comes to fruition, please consider this an open invitation to stay with me on the Oklahoma/Arkansas leg of the tour.

Metta,

Saijun.

Everyone can book his trip for the retreat!
    The dates and the location are now confirmed. :wink:

I receive the confirmation from the abbey and will sign the contract in the following days.
    Thus we will have our retreat the 27-28-29-30 December 2011.
    Here is the address of the Kortenberg abbey:

Oude Abdij Kortenberg vzw
    Abdijdreef 22
    3070 Kortenberg
    Belgium

It is about 15km from Brussel's main airport (Zaventem airport), there is a train station in the airport and the abbey is about 10 minutes walking from Kortenberg station.

We can enter in the house the 27 at 5.00 PM and will have our sesshin until the 30 around 5.00 PM too.
    As you can see the dates are a bit different from those firstly announced, we changed them because a lot of folks seem to have problems with the first ones.

Anyway, by plane, car, boat or zeppelin you are all welcome for the sesshin.
    We didn't fix the prices yet. We will have probably different scales of prices depending on the type of accommodation you choose ( in a bed in a dormitory, or in another dormitory and in the Zendo with your own camping mat and your sleeping bag).

More informations will come in the coming days!

Have a good practice everyone!

gassho,
    Jinyu from Salzurg in Austria :mrgreen:

Jinyu,
    Great news and great work! Thank you.
    I look forward to the Sesshin.
    Gassho,
    Soen

Jinyu;
    See next post
    Richard

Jinyu;

This shows Driving route from station to abbey as 1.6km. However, I would assume, if walking, one could exit station on south side of tracks, walk straight down Stationstraat , continue almost straight along Karterstraat, turn left on to Abdijdreef and the Abbey is in the buildings at the east end of the laneway. Is this correct?? :roll:
    (open the following 'link in new tab' to compare directions; click on '+' or "-" to zoom)
    http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...45447&t=h&z=15

Oude Abdij Kortenberg................................. Sunset Kortenberg

Hi!
    You are totally correct! The path to get to the abbey isn't particularly beautiful, long streets with a lot of traffic for a little town, but once arrive near the abbey the atmosphere is very different!

The picture on the left is the main part of the abbey, the house we will rent will face it!
    This is the house we will have...
    :lol:

Thank you for your clear explanation of the way to get there from the station :wink:

gassho,
    Jinyu

Jinyu;

Bingo!! Did you insert an image of the house for our use?

Richard

P.s. This question was asked because the above picture did not show the first time I viewed that post (thank you Jinyu)

Yes this is it!
    They call this house the "sjaloom" or Shalom meaning Peace.
    This house as his origins in the 15th century!

gassho,
    Jinyu

Thank you very much Jinyu!! Greatly appreciated and looking very much forward to meeting up with you and all then!
    The place looks quite beautiful!

Gassho
    Shohei

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast