Thread: Nichiren Buddhism

Nichiren Buddhism

Hello everyone,

My community recently had a new Sangha open (only one in a 60 mile radius), but it's specific focus is Nichiren Buddhism. I've never heard of this school of Buddhism, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me specifics. It would be nice to have a Sangha in my community, but I don't want stray away from the Soto school.

Gassho,

Adam

Re: Nichiren Buddhism

Hi Adam,

Just read your post. Maybe you can try this link:
    http://www.religionfacts.com/buddhis...s/nichiren.htm

It also gives the wikipedia page on the subject and a link to the Nichiren Organization website, if I'm correct.
    Hope this helps you with this,

Gassho,
    Ronald.

Adam,
    I think if you type in Nichiren in Treeleaf's search box up there in the upper right corner you will bring up all sorts of responses, including Jundo's take with humorous illustration(s).

Gassho,

Jin Tai

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    Hello everyone,

My community recently had a new Sangha open (only one in a 60 mile radius), but it's specific focus is Nichiren Buddhism. I've never heard of this school of Buddhism, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me specifics. It would be nice to have a Sangha in my community, but I don't want stray away from the Soto school.

Gassho,

Adam
    Hi Adam,

My wife's family are Nichiren Buddhists. Generally, they do not practice Zazen (although something rings a bell that I have heard, somewhere, of some Nichiren Buddhist groups in North America that do), and is generally considered a "chanting" school ... as are the Pure Land (Jodo) schools of Buddhism.

Nichiren Buddhism is particularly focused on the Lotus Sutra (and even more on chanting the Name of the Sutra itself rather than the contents of the Sutra. In contrast, the Pure Land folks chant the name of Amida Buddha).

http://www.religionfacts.com/buddhism/s ... chiren.htm

Nichiren himself was a very interesting character in Japanese Buddhist history, a bit of Martin Luther and Joseph Smith (the Mormon founder). They are perhaps best known in the west through a lay group, the Soka Gakkai (SGI), that split from the main Nichiren sect a few years ago.

Yes, here is a humorous post on a Nichiren Temple in Japan that is doing some creative/funny stuff to attract young people. It caused me to ask one of our animators/manga artists around Treeleaf to design a small symbol for us (maybe a cute, Gasshoing "Tree in a Kesa"? I am waiting to see it) which I will show everyone when done.

viewtopic.php?p=47021#p47021

Gassho, Jundo

Hi Adam,

I've met some very lovely (in terms of personality) Nichiren/Soka Gakkai Buddhists, however having said that, my own limited experience has been that Nichiren Buddhism offers very few "connection points" in terms of Buddhadharma with Zen. It is usually focussing on the devotional aspects of Buddhist practice, and although the Lotus sutra plays a most prominent part in their practices, the half dozen Nichiren Buddhists I've met seem to never have read it and were also very much convinced that their way was the only true way and that zazen was a waste of time.

Nichiren himself was a very controversial character in some ways....studying his life a bit makes for some interesting reading. (Obviously just about any prominent Buddhist master could be called controversial in some ways...including Keizan and Dogen).

Gassho,

Hans

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the quick replies. I appreciate the information and the links that were provided in the posts left here. Now that I have read about what Nichiren Buddhism is, I don't think it would work with my practice. I'm glad that my community is accepting a more diverse mindset, but I would need a sangha that allows for me to progress in my practice. I don't believe chanting and reading sutras is the answer for me. To live in the NOW; discover the nature of the self; to sit zazen; to realize that "I" am not separate from anything in this world; that is my practice. I will continue to sit in my little corner at home. Thank you again for all the replies. Back to the cushion I go!

Gassho,

Adam