Thread: February 4-5, 2011- OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

February 4-5, 2011- OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

PLEASE NOTE THAT SOME KINHIN TIMES HAVE BEEN LENGTHENED IN COMPASSION FOR NEW SITTERS JOINING US ...

Dear All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI,netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (1/1) (that is New York 6pm to 10pm, Los Angeles 3pm to 7pm (Friday night 12/31), London 11pm to 3am and Paris midnight to 4am (early Saturday morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at USTREAM:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sit-a-long-with-jundo

But FEAR NOT if not possible for you to join 'live' in your location at those times, as the entire sitting is recorded in 'REAL TIME' and available for full participation 'ON DEMAND' at ANY TIME after that, no different from the 'live' sitting . Just click then on the links below:

THE 'REAL TIME, ANY TIME' recorded version is divided into 2 parts as follows (click on the blue links) :

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
    01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN
    ZAZENKAI PART I LINK:

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    TALK & ZAZEN LINK:

02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN
    02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
    03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING
    ZAZENKAI PART 2 LINK:

Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chant Book (PDF) at the following link:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2231

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

Re: February 4-5, 2011- OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI!

Absolument!
    Gassho,

I'm going to try this for the first time, I do my own day sesshin every sunday but ive never joined in this because of ignorant confusion. I cant wait gassho! I have a question though, do we join live through the zendo link set up on the treeleaf page? Or through U stream? I'm a bit confused with that matter

I sent you a private messsage, Trevor.
    Gassho,

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorMcmanis
    I'm going to try this for the first time, I do my own day sesshin every sunday but ive never joined in this because of ignorant confusion. I cant wait gassho! I have a question though, do we join live through the zendo link set up on the treeleaf page? Or through U stream? I'm a bit confused with that matter
    In case anyone else has the same question, the zazenkai is accessible at this link:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sit-a-long-with-jundo

Gassho,
    Dosho

Thank you for the sit tonight. Was great seeing you all.

The birds.
    The bells.
    The oil furnace music.
    The silence.
    Enjoyed it all.

PS: Tried joining you guys in the Zen Hall, but about the same time my daughters decided to stream a movie on Netflix so had to drop. Will try again next Friday though! It was good seeing you guys for a few minutes anyway!

Deep gassho,

Shawn

Hi all,

Thank you for the sit everyone...was definitely a boost after a long week! My gratitude to all who have sat, are sitting, or will sit!

Gassho,
    Dosho

I know it's just sitting. Still it was nice to do it with y'all.
    Quite a crowd tonight!
    Gassho,
    Engyo

Thank you everyone for the sit, and thanks to Engyo and Shawn for joining in Live in the Zen hall great to see everyone.
    Excellent talk Jundo, Thank you.
    Gassho. ~ Dave / Hogo.

I bounced in and out a little due to the pent-up end-of-the-week energy of a couple of little ones... but never really left. Thank you.

Peter / Genkai
    (pbroderick on Ustream)

Quote Originally Posted by Hogo
    Thank you everyone for the sit, and thanks to Engyo and Shawn for joining in Live in the Zen hall great to see everyone.
    Excellent talk Jundo, Thank you.
    Gassho. ~ Dave / Hogo.
    Glad to hear some folks are starting to congregate in the zen hall during thye zazenkai. You won't see me in there as my computer can't handle it, but I would if I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho
    Glad to hear some folks are starting to congregate in the zen hall during thye zazenkai. You won't see me in there as my computer can't handle it, but I would if I could!
    Yes, it does take a fast and stable internet connection as well, I never would have pulled it off with my old service, Running two video streams at once can be tough. No matter we all see each other over at ustream, and besides we sit with everyone no matter the time or the place. but It was cool to see others live, if you have the means.
    See you next week.
    Gassho

Thank you everybody, now some breakfast
    _()_
    Peter

Thanks Jundo and all sitting.

Whew! This was the first time I did the 4-hour zazenkai in one shot. High five!

Gassho

Jen

Hi All,
    The 4 hour Zazenkai is a little beefy for my life situation now so I'm going to have to try to break it apart and do it in sections on different days. Or perhaps all in one day but just through the dharma talk. Haven't quite figured it all out. Wish I could do it all at once but that would be selfish of me towards my son who needs attention and my wife who needs help with the baby. I already get 30 minutes a day for zazen and recently negotiated an extra 90 minutes over the weekend to do the shorter Zazenkai(on demand). I'd hate to be greedy and ask for even more time! Plus I just love spending as much time with my family as possible anyway.
    I'm happy that Jundo Sensei offers this though!

Gassho,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JRBrisson
    Hi All,
    The 4 hour Zazenkai is a little beefy for my life situation now so I'm going to have to try to break it apart and do it in sections on different days. Or perhaps all in one day but just through the dharma talk. Haven't quite figured it all out. Wish I could do it all at once but that would be selfish of me towards my son who needs attention and my wife who needs help with the baby. I already get 30 minutes a day for zazen and recently negotiated an extra 90 minutes over the weekend to do the shorter Zazenkai(on demand). I'd hate to be greedy and ask for even more time! Plus I just love spending as much time with my family as possible anyway.
    I'm happy that Jundo Sensei offers this though!

Gassho,
    John
    See here ...

viewtopic.php?p=47859#p47859

Sit Zazen in a quiet room if you can, sit Zazen with crying, hungry baby if you need.

Thank you for the reminder that even a crying baby is Zen

Gassho,
    John

Oh yes, one question I wanted to ask the group is how to stream the Zazenkai through ustream AND use the virtual Zendo at the same time? This sounds awesome!! Can this also be done with Zazenkai on demand?
    Thanks in advance

Gassho,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JRBrisson
    Oh yes, one question I wanted to ask the group is how to stream the Zazenkai through ustream AND use the virtual Zendo at the same time? This sounds awesome!! Can this also be done with Zazenkai on demand?
    Thanks in advance

Gassho,
    John
    Quite simple to use Ustream and Zen hall at the same time, as I said before it can pull a bit hard on a slower connection, but anyone with decent DSL or better can do it. Assuming windows (I don't know about mac) I just start ustream and then drag and pull the window to the left of my screen and situate Jundo's video so I can just see it all. I then open a new browser window (not a new tab, have to do a whole window) then log into the live zen hall, (for any who have not done it: it is located under the Zendo menu at the top of the forum page) Type in a name when asked and it will automatically connect (this assumes you have a Camera and Mic connected to your com, and configured. (or laptop built in).
    In the zen hall I like to mute my mic so not to disturb anyone sitting and it will cause feedback for others if you have Jundo on Ustream. (just push the little mic shape icon at the bottom of the window.
    Just size this window to fit and have the video visable.....thats about it I think.
    This should all work the same for recorded ustream as well.

Hope it helps I wrote this assuming some may not have used the hall before. If anyone has questions or you would like to test the hall with someone let me know, I am always up for a quick sit with others. There are others here as well good at jumping in to assist with any tech problems.
    Gassho ~ Dave.

Joined the Zazenkai this morning and just finished, although I had some difficulty with the recording of the first section. Rather "Groundhog Day" like it kept returning to the beginning after only getting through about 3/4 of the Heart of the Great Perfection of Wisdom Sutra. WHile I thought that perhaps I was being sent a message by that... :? ...I completed it by myself as well as the first section, as best as I could.

I loved The Dharma talk, since I am still sitting in several feet of snow, with more falling throughout the Zazenkai. It is funny that my most vivid images of Japan are of it in Winter, with a feeling of the deep peaceful and quiet snow pervading over all nature and works of man.

Gassho,

Seishin Kyrill

Thank you very much Dave! I will try this.

Gassho,
    John

Hi everyone!
    I'm very happy I could sit the zazenkai today!
    thanks to all who sat and will sit! thanks to Jundo!

gassho,
    Jinyu

Hi everbody,
    Had a really good zazenkai yesterday (Sunday). No tech probs on any of it, yipee!

I sat live from snowy NM. The Dharma talk was perfect!

Thank you for the Dharma talk Jundo Sensei. May your teachings SEEP into all of us!

Gassho,
    John