Hello everybody,

most of us here see Dogen Zenji as one of the most important voices that led to our lineage becoming what it is. I would like to dedicate this thread to those quotes that you (we) cherisch the most. May I encourage you to add the source of your quotes, so that people reading this thread have no trouble looking for the context in which this quote occured, if they so wish. Should you feel the need to discuss the quote in greater detail, might I humbly suggest you open another thread, so that this one can become a nice collection of quote following quote:

I'll be first with one of his most famous sayings, taken from the free Numata online edition of the Nishijima-Cross translation of the Shobogenzo. The chapter is Genjo-Koan, the page number of the online PDF is 42:

"To learn the Buddha’s truth is to learn ourselves. To learn ourselves is to forget ourselves. To forget ourselves is to be experienced by the myriad dharmas. To be experienced by the myriad dharmas is to let our own body and mind, and the body and mind of the external world, fall away."

Gassho,

Hans