Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 1/21 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Seng-Ts'an

  1. #1

    1/21 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Seng-Ts'an

    Dear All,

    Master Seng-Ts-an is traditionally said to be the author (although modern historians cast some doubt) of the classic FAITH IN MIND, quoted by Master Keizan in today's pages. In my opinion, the Heart of our Practice is found in this poem called "FAITH IN MIND", which has been one of the most influential written teachings for my own practice. I quote some below, and provide a link to several of the many many translations.

    Here is the question though:

    How could a man who taught the following words have had his likes and dislikes, obviously liking to escape his disliked leprosy and liking to escape various political dangers in today's story?

    I believe that, when one cracks such Koan ... of having lightly embraced likes and dislikes while, hand-in-hand, being beyond all "likes and dislikes" and other divisions which the poem describes ... one has attained a Treasure beyond Price.

    Oh, this piece sometimes translated at the start ...

    The Supreme Way is not difficult
    If only you do not pick and choose.
    Neither love nor hate,
    And you will clearly understand.


    ... words I and so many LOVE SO!

    Cook at 158
    Hixon at 142

    Gassho, Jundo

    from FAITH IN MIND

    The Great Way is not difficult for those who do not pick and choose.

    When preferences are cast aside the Way stands clear and undisguised.

    But even slight distinctions made set earth and heaven far apart.

    If you would clearly see the truth, discard opinions pro and con.

    To founder in dislike and like is nothing but the mind's disease.

    And not to see the Way's deep truth disturbs the mind's essential peace.

    The Way is perfect like vast space, where there's no lack and no excess.

    Our choice to choose and to reject prevents our seeing this simple truth.

    .....

    Awakening is to go beyond both emptiness as well as form.

    All changes in this empty world seem real because of ignorance.

    Do not go search for the truth, just let those fond opinions go.

    Abide not in duality, refrain from all pursuit of it.

    If there's a trace of right and wrong, True-mind is lost, confused, distaught.

    From One-mind comes duality, but cling not even to this One.

    When this One-mind rests undisturbed, then nothing in the world offends.

    And when no thing can give offense, then all obstructions cease to be.

    .....

    See into the true self of things, and you're in step with the Great Way, thus walking freely, undisturbed.

    But live in bondage to your thoughts, and you will be confused, unclear.

    This heavy burden weighs you down-- O why keep judging good and bad?

    If you would walk the highest Way, do not reject the sense domain.

    For as it is, whole and complete, This sense world is enlightenment.

    The wise do not strive after goals, but fools themselves in bondage put.

    The One Way knows no differences, the foolish cling to this and that.

    To seek Great Mind with thinking mind is certainly a grave mistake.

    From small mind come rest and unrest, but mind awakened transcends both.

    ......

    The Way's beyond all space, all time, one instant is ten thousand years.

    Not only here, not only there, truth's right before you very eyes.

    Distinctions such as large and small have relevance for you no more.

    The largest is the smallest too-- here limitations have no place.

    What is is not, what is not is-- if this is not yet clear to you, you're still far from the inner truth.

    One thing is all, all things are one-- know this and all's whole and complete.

    When faith and Mind are not separate, and not separate are Mind and faith, this is beyond all words, all thought.

    For here there is no yesterday, no today, no tomorrow.
    http://www.terebess.hu/english/hsin.html

  2. #2

    Re: 1/21 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Seng-Ts'an

    Seng Ts'an cannot find his Karma, but will he find Minds original purity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    How could a man who taught the following words have had his likes and dislikes, obviously liking to escape his disliked leprosy and liking to escape various political dangers in today's story?
    Indeed its a little soupy this morning. How can one not see likes and dislikes in this fog.

    _()_
    Peter

  3. #3
    Treeleaf Unsui Yugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Midcoast Maine
    Posts
    1,746
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 1/21 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Seng-Ts'an

    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    How could a man who taught the following words have had his likes and dislikes, obviously liking to escape his disliked leprosy and liking to escape various political dangers in today's story?
    Endless blue mountains,
    free of even a particle of dust
    Boundless rivers of tumbling torrents,
    ceaselessly flowing

    Capping verse to Case #7, "Yangshan's 'It's Not That There is No Enlightenment" Loori/Tanahashi trans. The True Dharma Eye

    For me, equally stirring words to describe the enlightenment that is within delusion, and the delusion that is within enlightenment.

    Gassho,
    Yugen

  4. #4

    Re: 1/21 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Seng-Ts'an

    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    How could a man who taught the following words have had his likes and dislikes, obviously liking to escape his disliked leprosy and liking to escape various political dangers in today's story?

    I believe that, when one cracks such Koan ... of having lightly embraced likes and dislikes while, hand-in-hand, being beyond all "likes and dislikes" and other divisions which the poem describes ... one has attained a Treasure beyond Price.
    I would say that one answer is to “lightly embrace likes and dislikes” while at the same time realizing that we can “go beyond likes and dislikes.” As I was reading both authors I kept thinking about Shikantaza. For example, in Shikantaza when thoughts arise we just let them be neither attaching to them nor pushing them away. We find ourselves dropping concepts like good – bad, beautiful – ugly, etc. Thus, we get a “taste” of what it is like to “cast away our preferences.”

    Gassho,
    Jisen/BrianW

  5. #5

    Re: 1/21 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Seng-Ts'an

    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Dear All,

    Master Seng-Ts-an is traditionally said to be the author (although modern historians cast some doubt) of the classic FAITH IN MIND, quoted by Master Keizan in today's pages. In my opinion, the Heart of our Practice is found in this poem called "FAITH IN MIND", which has been one of the most influential written teachings for my own practice. I quote some below, and provide a link to several of the many many translations.

    Here is the question though:

    How could a man who taught the following words have had his likes and dislikes, obviously liking to escape his disliked leprosy and liking to escape various political dangers in today's story?

    I believe that, when one cracks such Koan ... of having lightly embraced likes and dislikes while, hand-in-hand, being beyond all "likes and dislikes" and other divisions which the poem describes ... one has attained a Treasure beyond Price.

    Oh, this piece sometimes translated at the start ...

    The Supreme Way is not difficult
    If only you do not pick and choose.
    Neither love nor hate,
    And you will clearly understand.


    ... words I and so many LOVE SO!

    Cook at 158
    Hixon at 142

    Gassho, Jundo

    from FAITH IN MIND

    The Great Way is not difficult for those who do not pick and choose.

    When preferences are cast aside the Way stands clear and undisguised.

    But even slight distinctions made set earth and heaven far apart.

    If you would clearly see the truth, discard opinions pro and con.

    To founder in dislike and like is nothing but the mind's disease.

    And not to see the Way's deep truth disturbs the mind's essential peace.

    The Way is perfect like vast space, where there's no lack and no excess.

    Our choice to choose and to reject prevents our seeing this simple truth.

    .....

    Awakening is to go beyond both emptiness as well as form.

    All changes in this empty world seem real because of ignorance.

    Do not go search for the truth, just let those fond opinions go.

    Abide not in duality, refrain from all pursuit of it.

    If there's a trace of right and wrong, True-mind is lost, confused, distaught.

    From One-mind comes duality, but cling not even to this One.

    When this One-mind rests undisturbed, then nothing in the world offends.

    And when no thing can give offense, then all obstructions cease to be.

    .....

    See into the true self of things, and you're in step with the Great Way, thus walking freely, undisturbed.

    But live in bondage to your thoughts, and you will be confused, unclear.

    This heavy burden weighs you down-- O why keep judging good and bad?

    If you would walk the highest Way, do not reject the sense domain.

    For as it is, whole and complete, This sense world is enlightenment.

    The wise do not strive after goals, but fools themselves in bondage put.

    The One Way knows no differences, the foolish cling to this and that.

    To seek Great Mind with thinking mind is certainly a grave mistake.

    From small mind come rest and unrest, but mind awakened transcends both.

    ......

    The Way's beyond all space, all time, one instant is ten thousand years.

    Not only here, not only there, truth's right before you very eyes.

    Distinctions such as large and small have relevance for you no more.

    The largest is the smallest too-- here limitations have no place.

    What is is not, what is not is-- if this is not yet clear to you, you're still far from the inner truth.

    One thing is all, all things are one-- know this and all's whole and complete.

    When faith and Mind are not separate, and not separate are Mind and faith, this is beyond all words, all thought.

    For here there is no yesterday, no today, no tomorrow.
    http://www.terebess.hu/english/hsin.html
    Jundo
    With deep appreciation Gassho Zak

  6. #6

    Re: 1/21 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Seng-Ts'an

    Quote Originally Posted by zak
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Dear All,

    Master Seng-Ts-an is traditionally said to be the author (although modern historians cast some doubt) of the classic FAITH IN MIND, quoted by Master Keizan in today's pages. In my opinion, the Heart of our Practice is found in this poem called "FAITH IN MIND", which has been one of the most influential written teachings for my own practice. I quote some below, and provide a link to several of the many many translations. =
    I will probably have a series of "sit-a-longs" on the FAITH IN MIND, starting real real soon.

    Gassho, J

  7. #7

    Re: 1/21 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Seng-Ts'an

    Good news

  8. #8

    Re: 1/21 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Seng-Ts'an

    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Quote Originally Posted by zak
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Dear All,

    Master Seng-Ts-an is traditionally said to be the author (although modern historians cast some doubt) of the classic FAITH IN MIND, quoted by Master Keizan in today's pages. In my opinion, the Heart of our Practice is found in this poem called "FAITH IN MIND", which has been one of the most influential written teachings for my own practice. I quote some below, and provide a link to several of the many many translations. =
    I will probably have a series of "sit-a-longs" on the FAITH IN MIND, starting real real soon.

    Gassho, J
    Jundo
    I sincerely hope you have the time and energy to eliminate the "probably" and start the series of "sit-a-longs" very soon. Gassho Zak

  9. #9
    Treeleaf Unsui Shohei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Posts
    2,933

    Re: 1/21 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Seng-Ts'an

    This masters suffering was just what it was - Suffering and when invited to investigate any karma he could have created (in memory - karmic causes are not necessarily from this life, from our own personal actions alone and often beyond comprehension - We're all in this together...) and when he could not (and there for accepted this)so was "cured" of his past deeds and reminded to take refuge in the 3 treasures.
    too often we look to past or present, over there or in here, us or them kind of answers to what are the causes of our suffering. They do not arrise or disperse, never more or less and certainly not separate from us - but even say that is indicating some breadth of separation...which is just illusion.

    Gassho
    Shohei

  10. #10
    Senior Member AlanLa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,220

    Re: 1/21 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Seng-Ts'an

    Faith in Mind reminds me very much of the Sandokai we studied previously here in the book club. Good stuff!!

    Hixon seems to imply that the living Buddha neither accepted nor rejected the oppressive regime of Emporor Wu. Rather, he skillfully "left no trace" by hiding out in the woods, which does sound a lot like just plain avoidance in a political sense. Hiding out was the wise political thing to do, and accepting/rejecting is a duality to avoid, so I guess he gets around it in that somewhat rhetorical way. Hey, it's not like he was perfect, right?

Similar Threads

  1. 3/18 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Yun-yen
    By Fugen in forum "BEYOND WORDS & LETTERS" BOOK CLUB
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 01:53 AM
  2. 3/11 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Yaoshan
    By Jundo in forum "BEYOND WORDS & LETTERS" BOOK CLUB
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-25-2011, 10:46 AM
  3. 1/14 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Hui-K'o
    By Jundo in forum "BEYOND WORDS & LETTERS" BOOK CLUB
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-14-2011, 03:35 AM
  4. 1/7 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Bodhidharma
    By Jundo in forum "BEYOND WORDS & LETTERS" BOOK CLUB
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-08-2011, 08:32 AM
  5. The transmission of the light: we need you...
    By Taigu in forum TREELEAF COMMUNITY: Topics about Zazen, Zen, Buddhism & MORE ZAZEN!
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-28-2010, 08:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •