Thread: More Buddhism for Nerds - blogpost link

More Buddhism for Nerds - blogpost link

Gotta bring 'em in. :mrgreen:

http://www.badassdigest.com/2011/01/20/ ... l-to-otaku

Earlier in the week we brought you images from a Buddhist temple in Thailand that has a mural featuring scifi characters like Neo, Bumblebee from Transformers and even Anakin’s podracer. Today comes video from Japan of a 16th century Buddhist temple trying to hip up its image by going after the otaku. They’ve created an anime character mascot, and even hire a girl to cosplay her in public to do recruiting. In fact the monks actually PRAY to a statue of the character, who is modeled after the Shinto goddess of art and wisdom. And they’ve created some kind of hideous video gamey jingle that I suppose appeals to the part-cyborg youth of modern cyberpunk Tokyo.

The new campaign began in 2009 with anime-inflected ads and signs; apparently kids have been taking their pictures in front of the signs and they’ve turned into a pop phenomenon. Japan.

Re: More Buddhism for Nerds - blogpost link

Thanks for that, my head is now spinning at a rate of knots. :lol:

Now THAT's proselytizing. Why does she have a hammer? :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonCM
    To give you Insta-Kensho!™...and gold coins that will appear from your head. :mrgreen:

Ummm.... I think I'll go the good old fashioned longer yet less likely to cause brain damage route. :mrgreen:

Hi,

This is one of many efforts by temples around Japan to make Buddhism more attractive for young folks. I fully support it.

In this case, it is by a Nichiren Buddhist temple outside of Tokyo (Nichiren Buddhism is the sect which chants the name of the Lotus Sutra as their central practice. My wife Mina's family are Nichiren Buddhists). You can read more about how the temple came to do this here, in English ...

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ ... 225f1.html

In this case, the character is an anime version of "Benzaiten/Benten", actually an Indian Goddess since way before the time of Buddha who has been popular in Buddhism thoughout its history, who may be described as the "Goddess of Music, Poetry, Learning, & Art, River Goddess, Patron of Children, Protector of the Nation." I believe that the "hammer" is one of her weapons to fight off disaster or ignorance. More common, I often see here carrying a lute, making her popular as a protector of musicians.

You can read much, much more about Benzaiten here (warning, features partial nudity 8) )

http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/benzaiten.shtml

Hmmm .... maybe I should get Mina to run around Tokyo dressed like a cute Anime tree in a Kesa! :shock:

Gassho, Jundo

My wife's family is also of the Nichiren sect.

Gassho
    John

Now THAT's proselytizing...:shock:
    :mrgreen: LOL