The great teacher Daido Loori indicated quite often that he regarded reincarnation as doubtful, and from his viewpoint somewhat irrelevant. From where I stand, the whole possibility of karma operating as an inexorable law of cause and effect is self-evidently, utterly and completely false unless there is reincarnation. Why? Well, is it not eminently clear to anyone with eyes that in this life, many millions of people who do very bad shit - again and again and again - thrive; while many millions who live wonderfully compassionate and generous lives suffer endlessly? So, no reincarnation, no karma. If the doers of bad shit so obviously don't get their recompense here and now, where do they get it? Without reincarnation, they don't, or at least, they can't. When I ask about this matter in the sanghas I visit, the sound of brooms sweeping dirt under the carpet is heard loud and clear. Or I am given evasive bollocks about taking this contradiction as a koan. I recall the words of a feminist practitioner who tried to ask about the suppression of women in Zen only to be told by her male teacher "We're all women here" or words to that effect. She got pissed and wrote "Zen Women: Beyond Tea Ladies, Iron Maidens and Macho Masters". If I had the talent and learning, I'd write a little book called "Karma and Reincarnation: You Can't Have One Without The Other". Instead, I'd like to hear from any one of the millions of practitioners who understand more than I ever will about the dharma, and who can shed light on this problem. Thanks.