Thread: JUKAI! JUKAI! JUKAI!

JUKAI! JUKAI! JUKAI!

Well, the time has arrived for our annual Jukai (Undertaking the Precepts) Ceremony, netcast live earlier today from Treeleaf Sangha.

Our 21 Preceptees came together simultaneously from 6 countries, joining in this Jukai as one, after having spent several months preparing for this day, studying the Precepts, sewing a rakusu, weighing the place of the Buddhist Teachings in their life.

As with everything at Treeleaf, all was accomplished fully online. We hope you will celebrate with us.

If you would like to witness via video our Precepts Ceremony, you may do so at the link below.

Jukai literally means to receive or to undertake the Precepts. It is the ceremony both of one’s formally committing to the Buddhist Sangha and to the Practice of Zen Buddhism, and of one’s undertaking the “Sixteen Mahayana Bodhisattva Precepts” as guides for life. Traditionally for Jukai, one receives from a teacher the Rakusu, which represents the robe of the Buddha, the Kechimyaku, a written lineage chart connecting the recipient to the Buddhas and Ancestors of the past, and a “Dharma name” selected by the teacher and representing qualities of the recipient’s personality and practice.

My teacher, Nishijima Roshi, has written this:

When a Buddhist seeks to commence upon the study of Buddhism, there is first a ceremony which should be undertaken: It is called “Jukai,” the “Receipt of the Precepts,” the ceremony in which one receives and undertakes the Precepts as a disciple of the Buddha… Master Dogen specifically left us a chapter entitled ‘”Jukai,” in which it is strongly emphasized that, when the Buddhist believer first sets out to commence Buddhist practice… be it monk, be it lay person, no matter… the initial needed steps include the holding of the ceremony of Jukai and the undertaking of the Precepts… The rationale of all of the Buddhist Precepts, the Mahayana Boddhisattva Precepts is as a pointing toward the best ways for us to live in this life, in this real world… how to live benefiting both ourselves and others as best we can.

CLICK HERE TO OBSERVE THE JUKAI CEREMONY AND JOIN THE CELEBRATION:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/12053617

Re: JUKAI! JUKAI! JUKAI!

I am still under deep emotions after taking the precepts

Thank you so much Jundo

Gassho gassho gassho

Rimon

Yugen

Rimon,
    Warm congratulations to you and all our sangha mates who participated in the Jukai ceremony. Taking the precepts - indeed - living in recognition with the precepts is as moving for me today (if not more so) than when I participated in my Jukai ceremony at Treeleaf. Sharing this with you is in a way a renewal of my own vows. Thank you -

Gassho,
    Alex

Congratulations again to all! Wonderful to watch. I am very much looking forward to participating in the next Jukai ceremony!

Cheers,
    Matt

Congratulations to all and thank you Jundo for this wonderful ceremony.

gassho

Taigu

Congratulations to all who undertook to keep these precious precepts! They are a great gift.
    Gassho,
    Soen