What kind of things would you suggest to make Buddhism more visible in the West?

Many churches and religions do things in the public eye, both because they are helpful to people and because it puts themselves out there for people to see. I'd like to see Buddhism more visible, more engaged in real social reform and change in Western communities. In many places, it seems like Buddhism is still regarded with a kind of esoteric colloquial kind of "old world charm". Not many folks I've run into (non Buddhists) have a basic understanding of what Buddhism is about.

What I'd like to do, or what I'd like to see, is for Buddhism to be more.....not so much "main stream" but more......accessible for the average person. That way, my hope is that with it being more visible, more people might have an interest in learning about the Way, and with practice more people might come to embody the Precepts and the Bodhisattva's compassion. Perhaps more would be done to comfort the homeless, give to the needy, but also more people might come to simply have compassion for each other.

I know that this starts with myself, and I do what I can when I am able, but if more people had the opportunity to study the Way, how much more could be done? How much more effective, more meaningful an impact could be made on the suffering of samsara?

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this. I don't think that I'm ready to start a sitting group yet or anything like that, I feel I have much more to learn before I could hope to help others along the Path, but any thought would be appreciated.