Thread: The A-Ha Moment (grumble, grumble, grumble)

The A-Ha Moment (grumble, grumble, grumble)

Hello all Treeleafers;

We've all had those moments when everything just falls into place and we suddenly understand things with a new perspective that was previously hidden. I had one of those yesterday after talking to fellow Treeleaf member, Fugen, online. during the course of our conversation, I made several failed attempts to get my web-cam working, and he said a few times that, ".. things happen. .. life is our practice".

Now, although I had heard this before in other situations, and understood what was meant, it wasn't until later that the full realization hit me: up to this point in my life, I had been compartmentalizing my entire life - work was different from home, home was separate from my practice, practice was isolated to the cushion!

Suddenly the light went on - it IS all the same thing. Why had I not been bringing it all together? Then I had another thought (WARNING: sarcasm Alert), "Gee, thanks Fugen, now I have change the whole way I think and do things. Now I have to become responsible for my life and all the crap that happens in it. NOW I can't pretend I don't know anymore. Gee, Thanks, what a gift." (end of sarcasm transmission).

Seriously though, has anybody else ever had this happen where you know you can no longer pretend ignorance? Please share your thoughts and experiences, as I'm very interested in hearing from others.

-Jim

Re: The A-Ha Moment (grumble, grumble, grumble)

Hi.

You're welcome.
    And thank you for your practice.
    It's all good practice, as some fool says ...

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Yeah, i had those. still have them sometimes.
    to be honest i havent had a break through for a veeeeeeeeeeeery long time.... all it seems i do lately is just sit 20 minutes a day and live my life. i dont sit in the forum much since so many post and i just cant read them all. it makes me feel like my practice is in a rut. like i have forgot why i began practicing in the first place. and i just do it. but at that moment i realize that this is a good thing. i no longer think of the practice as practice but as life. i live it. i make boundaries between work home and such but at the same time i realize that it is all life and i dont really find myself thinking what is what.

just life i guess. and each and every time it leaves me speechless.

Gassho, Dojin. speechless.

Dojin said:

i dont sit in the forum much since so many post and i just cant read them all. it makes me feel like my practice is in a rut.

I know how you feel - especially if you're like me and somewhat isolated (I am in a rural community that is very Christian). I am offering a sitting group for this small town hoping others will join in.

But that's where Treeleaf enters (for me anyway). i have been sitting in the Zendo (online)and sometimes others will join me. It's nice.

Thanks for your post, it's good to know that I'm not the only one out there who's in this situation.

-jim

On this long hike to no where but here, step by step ever arrived-arriving, we have 'a-ha' moments, 'ha-ha' moments, 'ho-hum' moments, 'oh shit' moments, 'amen' moments, 'hem and haw' moments, 'la la la' moments, 'broken heart' moments, 'please help' moments, 'aw gosh gee' moments, 'what?' moments ... moments ... moments ... moments ...

... and when all are seen for the wondrous living dance they are ...

just A-HA moment ... by moment ... by moment ...

thank you Jundo for this little reminder. it is true... for what is life if not a collection of moments? or is it just one moment with no beginning nor end?

Jim, i know what you mean. i live in israel that is quite a religious country and the religion being Judaism. dont get me wrong i like the faith and everything, dont connect to it personally but it has its wisdom ( like all other faiths ). i dont like the big religious leaders talking about this and that, promoting ignorance and hate. like gay rights, tolerances towards other religions and even lay people. lets just say that israel has a a very orthodox core in it that actually go to the streets to riot if some parking lot opens for business in Jerusalem on a Sabbath.
    anyway long story short lets just say that being a buddhist in israel is quite an oddity and looked upon with a raised eye brown to say the least.
    that are some tibetan buddhist groups but zen groups are quite rare. there is 1 or 2 groups in the whole country but that is korean kwan um zen. i herd of 1 or 2 people in israel that practice soto zen but they are all far apart and even if they try to manage a small sitting group its far from my place of living.
    so yeah i know what you mean by that you are isolated.
    if you wish we could sit zazen together sometime in the zen hall if our schedules allow.

Gassho, Dojin.

Hi Dojin;

I'd be happy to sit with you in the Zendo. My GMT is (-5), maybe we could PM each other and arrange a time. Thanks!

-Jim

well im GMT +2 so it means im 7 hours ahead of you.
    i usually sit in the evening here around 23:00-24:00
    what about you?

Gassoh.

That might work well because I could sit at 16:30 (my time) and it would be about 23:30 your time! I will begin tomorrow (Dec 16)! Maybe see you in the zendo!

-Jim

Dojin;

I'm sorry my friend, life has imposed itself on me so I cannot make it to the sitting today (Dec 16). My apologies. But I will be there beginning Dec. 17.

-Jim