Thread: 12/10 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Aryashima

12/10 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Aryashima

This week's reading about a beheaded Zen martyr might be called ...

"Don't lose your head ... even if losing your head". 8)

Anyway, one can "lose ones head" yet "keep one's eye".

Some of the language of the Koan in the opening passage might be hard to get your own head around. However, it may be a bit clearer if we recall how the Buddhist perspectives can be many at once ... such as ....

... nothing to do, yet we do ... nothing to seek, yet we seek ... nothing to attain, yet there is attainment ...

So, we have "no concerns" about seeking the way, yet are diligent and concerned in seeking the way ...

There is no one to carry out Buddha's activities, yet Buddha's activities are carried out by Buddha and by each of us (not two) ...

Even if you do something, that is doing nothing (for there is nothing in need of doing or which can be done) ... which is all very different from "just complacently doing nothing" which, by the way, is a form of "doing something" too ...

There is no merit to be gained, and nothing to be gained or lost ... yet much to gain or lose.

You are acting, yet you are not just "you" acting when you act ... etc. etc.

Cook from 134
    Hixon from 121

Re: 12/10 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Aryashima

Hi all,

Just wanted to say that I am still here with you! I did go back and read Cook's introduction again which made much more sense to me this time (actually not sure why it didn't before), so I am just about to do the same with Hixon and then make my way through the chapters. I've felt very confused since this book club selection began, but I figured I'd stay with confused for awhile instead of giving up and a strange thing happened...it started to become more clear! Can you believe it?

See you soon.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Leaving all concerns behind, not easy. To not cover the eyes, not easy.
    _()_
    Peter

Sutra teaches, " Whatever merits I attain do not belong to me."

Even though deeds of merit are performed by this physical body they are committed to the universe. There is no self to accumulate the so called merit. gassho zak

Hi all. Just ordered the 2 books currently being read by the group and hope to participate as soon as they arrive!

Hiyas

This is eerily familiar I believe I have read this right here in the forums! -Nothing to gain, nowhere's to be, nothing to be done....and yet!
    In this we are asked to realize that we do not seek for ourselves, although in our earliest endeavors most would say (this guy included) they set out on the path to seek some ultimate truth, some peace or something for themselves and perhaps others too. Through practice, this seeking reveals we already "Swimming in it". Through practice we are shown that rather than frantically flapping our arms on the surface, seeking to grasp IT, we learn to be still, fully engulfed, submerged - then we move our arms and kick our feet. We may appear to be moving our bodies to save ourselves but who is moving, what self is there to save, and save from what ?!

In facing certain death Aryashima maintained composure and above all, maintained the teachings. In his discourse with the angry king, Aryashima pointed out reality with his last words and finally with his last breath.

Gassho
    Shohei

There is no actor, only action. I don't do zazen; zazen does zazen. Being concerned about procedures is not the Buddha Way, yet we often mistake it for the way. But drawing back the bow is not the same as shooting the arrow. The arrow in flight does not belong to the bow or the person pulling back the bow. The arrow is naturally, spontaneously, joyfully revealed in flight as the result of many karmic actions performed by karmic actors. But in the end, whatever you do in the way of the Buddha does not belong to you There are no merits! The healing, liberating, nourishing stream of pure milk knowledge flows freely from the AWAKE. At that point of free arrow flight, who needs a head? Honestly, it just gets in the way of the Way. So learns Aryashima the hard way, quite literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho
    Just wanted to say that I am still here with you! I did go back and read Cook's introduction again which made much more sense to me this time (actually not sure why it didn't before), so I am just about to do the same with Hixon and then make my way through the chapters.
    Hang in there Scott....I know I have fallen behind recently, but I figure to just "keep swimming'"

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    So, we have "no concerns" about seeking the way, yet are diligent and concerned in seeking the way ...
    Appears to me that there is a "letting go" that must accompany our diligent work. A sense of abandonment like "taking a step off the 100 ft pole." Like Jundo says Zen is always operating on many channels simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by zak
    Sutra teaches, " Whatever merits I attain do not belong to me."
    Yes I liked this statement as well. No need to call attention to our deeds....just do them!

Gassho,
    Jisen/BrianW

Should I jump in and try to catch up?

I still may not be able to buy either book for a while...

Should I just wait for the next thing we read? And then read these on my own time, later?

I was in a bookstore and found neither book, a few days ago. All I found was some very surface-value self-help style zen lit.

Hi Amelia,

Just wanted to respond to your questions. I say go for it!! I found my books on ebay. "Living Buddha Zen" by Lex Hixon only cost $5 with free shipping! Perfect for the person on a budget like myself. If budget is also a factor for you, just get one of the two. Then you can still participate AND save a little cash for the next book. Win win!!
    As for myself, thats what I'm doing because i accidentally got the wrong 2nd book!
    Currently in Hixon's book we are on transmission 27 and there are a total of 52. Jundo has been doing one transmission a week so there will be plenty of time to find a book and start reading. What i do is read the assigned one of the week and if i find myself with spare time i go back and read earlier chapters.
    Hope this helps.

Gassho,
    John