Thread: SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO—Buddhanomics: Job Search

SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO—Buddhanomics: Job Search

So many folks are losing their jobs these days, sometimes after many years of loyal and hard work at a business. Almost nothing more to do but let it go, move on, trying to keep a roof over our family's head.

When I was a kid, my own father went through a hard bankruptcy after many years of being the president of his own small company making furniture. Leon was not a "Buddhist" by any means, but still I would call him one of those "naturally Zen" folks. I recall how, when he lost the business, he sat in front of the window for a couple of weeks, depressed and not shaving, wondering where to go from here. But, after a few days of that, he picked himself up and found himself a job as a salesman in a discount department store, working for commission and for somebody else. Most importantly, he never lost his humor for long, and kept a "that's just the breaks, we still have each other" attitude which I will never forget. And though he was now not the "boss" but working at a job he did not choose, he did it diligently, optimistically and with great energy. In fact, he kept at it, going onto the sales floor each day (with co-workers 50 years younger), until he was 77 years old ... all so his family had bread and I could get through school.

Fortunately, too, he never lived "rich" even when times were good, always having the same small house and same plain car. In that way, the "ups" and "downs" were never too much of a fall.

In times like these, there are some good lessons there.

Today’s Sit-A-Long video follows at this link. Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 20 to 35 minutes is recommended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMZP_rAhZk8[/video]]
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-21-2016 at 01:28 AM.

Re: SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO—Buddhanomics: Job Search

Thank you Jundo...a reminder to me to be grateful that I can be home with the kids while they are young, to appreciate the burden my wife carries to be the sole breadwinner in the household, and to never forget that many do not have such a luxury.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Very good Jundo, thank you. Another good thing about unemployment is it teaches you to be able to accept other people's dana gracefully. As I do not qualify for state help (contrary to what the world may think about our welfare state, it does does not give to all freely), my partner has to keep me, I am a kept wanton. To refuse help when needed is very close to arrogance, its like all forms of love, how can you give it if you cannot recieve it. Ans yes Jundo, just like I said at our last Dokusan, I can't say I have not got the time to sit.

Gassho

Joe

Thanks, Jundo.

As a freelance writer, I've seen my opportunities (and income) really tank this year. I finally decided to get off my butt and do some volunteer work, as I had been promising myself for a long time. For the past couple months I've been doing office work once a week for a local historical site that's really short-handed . . . keeping my skills up, being useful , and getting a little something new to put on my resume. Perhaps I'm going to have to go back to a "real job" soon . . . best I can do is be prepared for it.

Best wishes to all who are going through tough times.

Gassho

Jennifer

Thank you, Jundo

Gassho,
    Ronald.

_()_
    Peter

Thank you Jundo

Gassho
    Lisa