Thread: 12/3 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Haklenayashas

12/3 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Haklenayashas

This tale is for the birds.

Cook from 139
    Hixon from 118

Re: 12/3 TRANSMISSION of the LIGHT: to Haklenayashas

Oh Lord, the cranes are back! I've been keeping a family of 10 sparrows going through the recent cold spell and you should see the mess that makes in the back yard. 500 cranes must surely contravene some health and safety law.

I like the 'nature boy' aspect of Haklenayashas: he condemns the waste and injury of sacrificial animals, and his enlightenment follows directly as a consequence of his compassion for the deluded cranes that have been following him.

Keizan does call it a 'story' though, and uses it as a means to expound something like Jesus', "To you has been given the mystery of the kingdom of God; but those who are outside get everything in parables, in order that while seeing, they may see and not perceive; and while hearing they may hear and not understand - lest they return and be forgiven". Which sounds tough on those who aren't going to be 'forgiven', and also tough on those destined to come back as cranes. But I guess the implication in both cases is, "So, what are you going to do about it?".

We receive the same words, the same teaching, but some can digest them, others not. But where the parable sticks with words - even if they point to some other 'mystery' - Keizan is keen to point us beyond words, beyond 'things'. Up above the clouds, (although Hixon reminds us that to get here our roots have to be firmly planted in the ground of samsara), where our own shining purity annihilates all details.
    gassho, Monkton

_()_
    (nothing to say this week)
    Peter

Five hundred monks followed this known " Holy Man" named Haklenayashas. He saw them as mindless and without virtue. They existed as a flock of cranes following him wherever he went. Being perplexed by the situation he approached Monhorita for a solution to his problem. Manhorita quickly replied, " I have the inexhaustable Dharma. You must hear, accept, and teach it in the future." These simple words, with great depth, awakened Haklenayashas and he then knew precisely how to teach his disciples. With his new tools of teaching he would show his followers to seek the real truth and develop there own practice without looking to him to do the work. With this new teaching the monks could disperse and follow the way.

Always seek the real truth for yourself. Do the work and if you encounter a " Holy Person ' speaking falsely stop listening and leave in a second. gassho zak

Hiyas
    In this transmission from Manhorita to Haklenayashas, the new Buddha is a bit befuddled by the birds that followed him. He was their guide in a past time where he past through a gate where only true non-discrimination could abide and in that spirit he allowed all his followers to come (demonstrating just how non-discriminating he was) This action though, however well thought or wise it seemed, lacked a bit of compassionate-wisdom. Realizing the this the new Buddha begs for guidance from the old master to which he simply points to himself/each other/all and says realize "I am the inexhaustible treasure". We all are drenched in the light flowing from the beginning-less and endless source... Truly give up discriminating thoughts and realize you are the light!

Gassho
    Shohei

Two completely at odd things came to mind reading these chapters.
    Hixon's Manorhita saying "I am the unsurpassable treasure of Total Awakeness. Look at me! My very body is this treasure! Now you must consciously absorb, embody and radiate it, just as I do" reminded me of this from Walt Whitman:
    I sing the Body electric;
    The armies of those I love engirth me, and I engirth them;
    They will not let me off till I go with them, respond to them,
    And discorrupt them, and charge them full with the charge of the Soul.

And the other took a lot of research, but I was able to find a picture of Haklenayashas and his birds.

In terms of Haklenayashas ,

Quote Originally Posted by Shohei
    He was their guide in a past time where he past through a gate where only true non-discrimination could abide and in that spirit he allowed all his followers to come (demonstrating just how non-discriminating he was) This action though, however well thought or wise it seemed, lacked a bit of compassionate-wisdom.
    Astute observation, as my first reading of this I was thinking Haklenayashas was, in fact, exercising some level of compassion by his non-discrimination. Nevertheless, perhaps he was more focused on a "proof of concept" than the fate of his disciples. An good lesson to consider when we get caught up in an idea and fail to see deeper into the situation. In addition, even if one argues that Haklenayashas was acting in a kind way by his non-discriminatory action, we must look to a deep level of compassion.

I liked Hixon's title for this reading......a apt koan for us all.....how does a crane fly "out" of the sky?

Gassho,
    Jisen/BrianW