Thread: Dogen: Lost and Found in Translation

Dogen: Lost and Found in Translation

This past weekend (Nov. 6-7, 2010) there was a conference hosted by the San Francisco Zen Center to celebrate the release of a new translation of Dogen’s Shobogenzo by Kaz Tanahashi. This link will take you to livestream which hosts videos of the conference (thank you, Clyde):

http://www.livestream.com/sfzc

I particularly want to recommend this set of talks by people who "translate" Dogen (translate, in the meaning of "put into practice" and "make heard"), including a VERY nice talk by Brother Brad in the middle, and a beautiful talk by a Zen Teacher and medical physician (oncologist) from Germany, and lovely talks by Gaelyn Godwin of Houston Zen Center and Hogen and Chozen Bays, and more ...

http://www.livestream.com/sfzc/video?cl ... m=ui-thumb

Gassho, Jundo

Re: Dogen: Lost and Found in Translation

Thank you for sharing Jundo! :wink:
    Brad's Dogen for punks is quite funny :lol:

gassho,
    Jinyu

Thanks for this opportunity Jundo.

"Let the punks have their Dogen"...a cry I think we have not heard the last of.

Gassho,

Seishin Kyrill

Jundo,

Thanks for posting.....made for an enjoyable program to watch last Saturday night. Loved the musical performance, in fact downloaded an album by Masayuki Koga. Fascinating to get the different perspectives on Dogen's work.

Gassho,
    Jisen/BrianW

Fabulous translation. I so much enjoy its musical quality. Mike Cross's work is so documented, precise, meticulous, crystal clear. This one is just flowing water, it goes with the poetic rhythm of Dogen's original work. As I said it many times, one should read both.

gassho

Taigu

Thank you, cool people talking
    _()_
    Peter

Hi Jundo,
    I had an email this week from Wisdom Books. Is this the translation you mean?

http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=22250

:mrgreen: It would certainly grace any bookshelf, but would Dogen approve of such a posh edition, I will probably have to wait for the paperback Although I am still getting through the Nishijima and Cross (only ten years).

Gassho

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTurner
    Hi Jundo,
    I had an email this week from Wisdom Books. Is this the translation you mean?

http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=22250

:mrgreen: It would certainly grace any bookshelf, but would Dogen approve of such a posh edition, I will probably have to wait for the paperback Although I am still getting through the Nishijima and Cross (only ten years).

Gassho

Joe
    Yes, that is the one. Tanahashi Sensei put about 50 years of effort into it. Given the size of the Dogen market, I doubt he is in it for the money. 8) Here is a news article profiling him, well worth reading ... a True Master in so many ways ...

I am saving up my pennies now to get it.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DDKT1G2ENG.DTL

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-19-2013 at 05:48 AM.

I cannot help thinking like Jundo ( because I have an experience as a writer and I also have a very good idea of what it means to spend 50 years doing this work...). Yes,this is priceless. So is Mike Cross's work. And, most of the time, these guys are taken for granted. Most of us have no idea of what it takes to translate a sigle line of Dogen ( have you tried?!!!) let alone the whole Shobogenzo.

I am speechless in front of such dedication and fuse.

150 dollars a copy?

That's a real bargain!

gassho

Taigu

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    Most of us have no idea of what it takes to translate a sigle line of Dogen ( have you tried?!!!) let alone the whole Shobogenzo.

I have. I have. But. Usually my knees hurt after 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    I am speechless in front of such dedication and fuse.

150 dollars a copy?

That's a real bargain!
    I have done translation work from English and Spanish. And. Just five pages drive me crazy as I try to unwind the many springs that come uncoiled once you open one word.