Thread: November 5-6, 2010 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI (NEW TIME!)

November 5-6, 2010 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI (NEW TIME!)

PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW EARLIER SITTING TIME FOR THE LIVE NETCAST!

ALSO NOTE THE END OF DAYLIGHT SAVINGS IN EUROPE ON 10/31, IN NORTH AMERICA ON 11/7

Dear All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London 11pm to 3am and Paris midnight to 4am (early Saturday morning)) ... and visible at the following link during those times ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at USTREAM:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sit-a-long-with-jundo

But FEAR NOT if not possible for you to join 'live' in your location at those times, as the entire sitting is recorded in 'REAL TIME' and available for full participation 'ON DEMAND' at ANY TIME after that, no different from the 'live' sitting . Just click then on the links below:

THE 'REAL TIME, ANY TIME' recorded version is divided into 2 parts as follows (click on the blue links) :

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
    00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 - 01:40 ZAZEN
    01:40 - 01:50 KINHIN

ZAZENKAI PART I LINK:

DUE TO TECHNICAL ISSUE, THIS FIRST HALF IS RECORDING OF PRIOR SITTING
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9974592

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
    02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN
    02:40 - 03:20 ZAZEN
    03:20 - 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

ZAZENKAI PART 2 LINK:
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/10663480
    Our Zazenkai consists of our chanting the 'Heart Sutra' and the 'Identity of Relative and Absolute (Sandokai)' in English (please download our Chant Book at the link below), some full floor prostrations (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), a little talk by me ... and we close with the 'Metta Chant', followed at the end with the 'Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'. Oh, and lots and lots of Zazen and walkin' Kinhin in between!

Please download and print out the Chant Book (PDF) at the following link:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2231

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES, AND HAVE ROOM FOR BOWING AND KINHIN.

ALSO, REMEMBER TO SET YOUR COMPUTER (& SCREEN SAVER) SO THAT IT DOES NOT SHUT OFF DURING THE 4 HOURS.

I hope you will join us ... an open Zafu is waiting. When we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo

Re: November 5-6, 2010 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour ZAZENKAI (NEW TIME!)

I will be joining but may be a few minutes late based on kids and bedtime (the computer will be on but tuck-in then Zazen (well tuck-in Zazen then cushion zazen ).

Gassho
    Shohei

Quote Originally Posted by Shohei
    I will be joining but may be a few minutes late based on kids and bedtime (the computer will be on but tuck-in then Zazen (well tuck-in Zazen then cushion zazen ).

Gassho
    Shohei
    Well, be quiet when you come into the Zendo so as not to disturb the others. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Quote Originally Posted by Shohei

Gassho
    Shohei
    Well, be quiet when you come into the Zendo so as not to disturb the others. :wink:
    And I'll make sure the back door is unlocked.

Thank you to all who sat, are sitting, or will sit...deep bows to you and your practice.

Gassho,
    Dosho

It was lovely to spend this evening with you all. Thank you.
    Gassho ~ Dave.

Thank you Jundo and all who sat/sit this Zazenkai.
    Goodnight and Gassho,
    Don

Thank you for this dharma talk, as true as words can be. For the thinking mind
    it truly can be disappointing. Thank you all, todays zazenkai deeply touched me.
    _()_
    Peter

I too would like to thank you Jundo, for you time & for sharing your knowledge with us in your lovely Dharma talk. (I hope no one heard my verbal "oh yeah"s that permeated the talk.. )

Hope your cold gets better fast Jundo!!

to my Dharma brothers, thank you for sharing your evening/morning/day with this tired old lady.. it is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinko
    to my Dharma brothers, thank you for sharing your evening/morning/day with this tired old lady.. it is greatly appreciated.
    You are quite welcome...I am equally glad to have the company of my dharma sister.

Oh Jundo, you are sooooo disappointing. You can never get it right. Technology eludes you. One minute you have short hair, the next it is long and wooly.....and I wouldn't have it any other way.

There is nothing more tiring for the student than to have a "perfect master" before whom one must always be careful to also practice perfection, or as close to it as possible in so blinding a presence. And we also know that such a "perfect master" can also read our thoughts, and we certainly don't want him to go....there!!!

That's why I have so happy you have warts and you let us see them now and then, and Taigu too! Beleive me there is an old pissy aunt in everyone of us just waiting to get out. You should listen to some of the conversations at the Abbey between the monks; they sound just like the old ladies at my mother's beauty parlor.

If Zen were "pie in the sky" it wouldn't be worth the effort because we could never get there. It is far better that it is available at the woodpile, or in the kitchen, or in the garden our hands dirty, sweat on our brow and a pain in our back. Thanks for keeping it human.

Gassho,

Seishin Kyrill

Sat the recorded version this morning.
    It went from comfortable to disappointing to OK!
    What a wonderful practice.
    Thank you Jundo and all!

Gassho Nigel

thank you! the Dharma was just on the point for me...deep gassho

In light of that disappointment, I must say that there is something wonderful about the timelessness (or meaningless of time) when you do the recorded zazenkai and it encompasses last month, last night, and today -- oh, and the whole time issue of the day change in Japan day to US the night before and also the US time change -- all at once.

Hello friends,

I made it through the first part this morning, but ran out of time before work. I'll be sitting the second half tonight after I get home from the local sitting group.

Metta,

Perry

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrillos
    You should listen to some of the conversations at the Abbey between the monks; they sound just like the old ladies at my mother's beauty parlor.
    LOL, as the kids say. :lol:

Hiya,
    just finished Zazenkai. Great talk Jundo - thanks for that. Wishing you a speedy recovery, or at least the strength to just be with the cold.

Gassho

Joe

Hello Jundo,

Thank you for the talk.

Metta,

Perry

Feeling very disappointed in the stamina of my knees and back right now...

Thank you
    Gassho
    Peter

Peter wrote, "Feeling very disappointed in the stamina of my knees and back right now..."
    Don't worry, this too shall pass :roll:

gassho,