Thread: SEEKING OPINIONS: Moving Weekly Zazenkai Times

SEEKING OPINIONS: Moving Weekly Zazenkai Times

Hi All,

I would like the input of all regular sitters with our weekly Zazenkai (which, by the way, SHOULD BE THE WHOLE SANGHA ... MUCH FINGER WAGGING IN YOUR DIRECTION IF YOU DON'T!!! :twisted: )

In order to attract more local Japanese folks to come to our sittings (it is very hard to get people to come so very late at night here on a Saturday under the current schedule) ... and because my Saturday and Sunday evenings are no longer as open as in the past due to other obligations meaning that it is difficult for me to have a Saturday evening sitting ... I WOULD LIKE TO MOVE THE TIMES FOR OUR WEEKLY 90-Minute and 4-HOUR ZAZENKAIS MORE OR LESS 13 HOURS EARLIER.

HOWEVER, that will mean that a lot more people ... especially in Europe ... will have to sit with the "ANY TIME, ON DEMAND" recorded version.

For example, the weekly 90-minute Zazenkai would be (if held now) ...

... from 9am - 10:30am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 8pm - 9:30pm, Los Angeles 5pm to 6:30pm (Friday night), London 1am to 2:30am and Paris 2am to 3:30am (early Saturday morning))

The monthly 4-hour Zazenkai on the first Saturday of the month would be ...

... 8am to noon Japan time Saturday (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning))

There is another Zen group here that meets on some Sunday mornings, and I do not want to interfere with their sittings by scheduling at the same time. Thus, I really must do this on Saturday morning, Japan time.

As I said, this would mean that more people would have to be comfortable with sitting with the "on demand" version. On the other hand, our sitting companions here in Japan will be many more.

I feel that we are mature enough now, and experienced in sitting, such that folks are comfortable with sitting with the on demand version.

Gassho, Jundo

Re: SEEKING OPINIONS: Moving Weekly Zazenkai Times

Very uncomfortable for me, thus good training. Lets go ...
    _()_
    Peter

Bah. What are time and space anyway? We're all sitting together, even if it isn't together.

I vote that you do what will benefit your Japanese sitters.

Much metta,

Perry

I am happy to sit with whatever opportunity you provide; happier still if that provides the opportunity for others to sit with us.
    Gassho,
    Don

the time is irrelevant... the sitting matters. I am good with any time

The new time would allow me to sit live (at least part of the time).

Works for me!

Ron

sounds good

I think that we can adjust to whatever schedule you need to fulfill on your end Jundo. It is important that you also build a group there at home with you. It wopuld be a good way for many of us in the US to end our day and week, and we always have the opportunity to sit "on demand", as you say. Beside all that it will be grand to see a Zendo full of people when we tune in...not that you are not lovely to look at :? all by yourself!!!

Gassho,

Seishin Kyrill

It would work out well for me, so I have no objections. Friday night sits after a long week with the kids? Sounds good. But as Shinko pointed out, anytime is the right time...so I'm open to anything.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Anytime, its all good.
    Would be great to see some locals join us.
    Gassho ~ D.

Anytime, anyplace, anywhere,...

From France

Gassho

Ensho

My schedules are so crazy already that most of the zazenkai sessions I've already done it "on demand" so no problems about the changes you propose Jundo. If good for the world, good for me too, as we are not two.

Gassho

The new schedule looks good -- thanks for putting it out there.

gassho,
    Chris

Just fine by me!

It is often easier to find time to sit on a friday night here at school rather than at 9 AM where sleep tends to take priority (I can feel the finger wagging from here ops: )

Many bows

Taylor

I am almost never able to participate in real time presently, so this wouldn't be a big change for me. I say do it.

You can always change later or implement some sort of rotation if the matter needs to be revisited.

As I have just posted, this week I was in Kensington so missed the live event. Today I sat with the recorded and got just as much out of it as usual, and it wasn't even this weeks. So I can see no problems, after all better to try and atract more sitters. Go for it, I say :wink:

Gassho

Joe

This sounds good.

Cyril

Seems nice to me!
    Unfortunately, I was unable to sit live these last weeks, so it won't be a big change for me...
    I hope a LOT of sitters will come to Treeleaf Dojo in Tsukuba!

have a good day everyone!
    gassho,
    Jinyu

Quote Originally Posted by rculver
    The new time would allow me to sit live (at least part of the time).

Works for me!

Ron
    What Shugen said!

I will be there with bells on!

Gassho
    Shohei

New time will be MUCH easier for me to sit live as well! Except of course for the first one, I'll be out of town for the evening. See you all next week (and hopefully on the recorded version sooner than that).

Quote Originally Posted by Peter
    New time will be MUCH easier for me to sit live as well! Except of course for the first one, I'll be out of town for the evening. See you all next week (and hopefully on the recorded version sooner than that).
    I am very content to report that, although I have put out no notice yet to the local Japanese community (next step, just a matter of getting it in the local Japanese paper) ... I have already been contacted by several "international" folks connected to the university and some of the science facilities here (Tsukuba is kind of a "Silicone Valley" town, home to the Japanese space program, particle research, super computers, robot factories ... as well as ancient rice fields and villages and shrines ... ), and looks like we will be joined by a few folks these coming weeks from various countries who want to give Zazen a try. The new time is making that possible. Thank you to everyone who encouraged the change.

Gassho, J

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    we will be joined by a few folks these coming weeks from various countries who want to give Zazen a try. The new time is making that possible. Thank you to everyone who encouraged the change.
    That is wonderful! No limits between "Tsukuba Treeleaf Dojo" and the "worldwide Treeleaf Dojo"!

gassho,
    Jinyu