Thread: Quiet...at times.

Quiet...at times.

Hello everyone,

I've tried to take some time to disconnect from everything virtual and focus on my practice. It's been a few months since I've posted on Treeleaf, so I come back with an 'new' thought. Catching up on news around the world and very local happenings, I've noticed an increase in negative views on other section of the populations (race, religion, etc.). I was wondering, when is it more wise to give a voice to the voiceless; than to keep oneself silent? When is it appropriate to be an advocate for someone that cannot defend themselves? Just some thoughts that I've had lately....thanks for your time (after such a long silence).

Gassho,

Adam

Re: Quiet...at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    Hello everyone,

I've tried to take some time to disconnect from everything virtual and focus on my practice. It's been a few months since I've posted on Treeleaf, so I come back with an 'new' thought. Catching up on news around the world and very local happenings, I've noticed an increase in negative views on other section of the populations (race, religion, etc.). I was wondering, when is it more wise to give a voice to the voiceless; than to keep oneself silent? When is it appropriate to be an advicate for someone that cannot defend themselves? Just some thoughts that I've had lately....thanks for your time (after such a long silence).

Gassho,

Adam
    I do not know if Zen Practice itself always tells us when to act ... or when it is best to not act (sometimes allowing events to play out is the best course) ... in any particular and complicated situation of life. Sometimes life is far from black and white ... and sometimes a single course has pros and cons.

But Zazen Practice does afford us that space of silence wherein our heart may be heard ... and things we had not previously perceived can be first perceived ... and perhaps we will feel what is the best course for us and others (not two) in that particular instant.

Further, we do Vow to Save All Sentient Beings. This saving may take many forms.

I feel that it is always Right Speech to speak up for tolerance in society and the world among all groups ... racial, national. sexual, political ... all groups. That does not mean that we cannot offer constructive and positive criticism of others when spoken gently and with Loving Kindness. However, we should all live and let live together in this world. So, I think there is never a wrong time to speak for tolerance.

Furthermore, it is always Right Speech to give a voice to those who lack. We should all be active in our communities giving voice to problems, and to people, that need attention brought to their cause. Like Aitken Roshi, The Dalai Lama, Thich Nhat Hanh, so many others ... we should constantly speak out for peace, justice, equality ...

Gassho, J

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    Hello everyone,

I've tried to take some time to disconnect from everything virtual and focus on my practice. It's been a few months since I've posted on Treeleaf, so I come back with an 'new' thought. Catching up on news around the world and very local happenings, I've noticed an increase in negative views on other section of the populations (race, religion, etc.). I was wondering, when is it more wise to give a voice to the voiceless; than to keep oneself silent? When is it appropriate to be an advicate for someone that cannot defend themselves? Just some thoughts that I've had lately....thanks for your time (after such a long silence).

Gassho,

Adam
    I do not know if Zen Practice itself always tells us when to act ... or when it is best to not act (sometimes allowing events to play out is the best course) ... in any particular and complicated situation of life. Sometimes life is far from black and white ... and sometimes a single course has pros and cons.

But Zazen Practice does afford us that space of silence wherein our heart may be heard ... and things we had not previously perceived can be first perceived ... and perhaps we will feel what is the best course for us and others (not two) in that particular instant.

Further, we do Vow to Save All Sentient Beings. This saving may take many forms.

I feel that it is always Right Speech to speak up for tolerance in society and the world among all groups ... racial, national. sexual, political ... all groups. That does not mean that we cannot offer constructive and positive criticism of others when spoken gently and with Loving Kindness. However, we should all live and let live together in this world. So, I think there is never a wrong time to speak for tolerance.

Furthermore, it is always Right Speech to give a voice to those who lack. We should all be active in our communities giving voice to problems, and to people, that need attention brought to their cause. Like Aitken Roshi, The Dalai Lama, Thich Nhat Hanh, so many others ... we should constantly speak out for peace, justice, equality ...

Gassho, J
    Thank you for this, Jundo. It's a frustration for me when there is a rush to judgement. I live in a city that is high with Evangelical Christians (home of New Life Church and Ted Haggard). When the preacher from the Florida church threatened to burn the Quran on 9/11, there was some support around my community. This is only one example of the increase in cynicism that I discussed in my original post. I try to defend those that cannot defend themselves, but it's hard to keep ones cool, at times. Thanks again, Jundo.

Gassho,

Adam

Keep you cool as you can. Don't blame others for their intolerance, or respond to anger with anger. Instead, understand the anger, divisive thoughts, the ignorance that is the cause. Understand the disease that is the root condition, and combat that. Respond to this kind of thing primarily with a message of tolerance, acceptance, love and peace. We should all get along ... and the first step is to respond in such way.

This is a time for Metta ... not yelling with hate at the hate mongers.

Sounds trite ... but that's what we usually do.

Gassho, J

Thank you for the teaching! I need to learn to think before I act...

Gassho,

Adam