Thread: SIT-A-LONG with TAIGU: Genjo Koan - Fanning Space

SIT-A-LONG with TAIGU: Genjo Koan - Fanning Space

Dogen writes: Do not suppose that what you realize becomes your knowledge and is grasped by your consciousness. Although actualized immediately, the inconceivable may not be apparent. Its appearance is beyond your knowledge. Zen master Baoche of Mt. Mayu was fanning himself. A monk approached and said, "Master, the nature of wind is permanent and there is no place it does not reach. When, then, do you fan yourself?"
    "Although you understand that the nature of the wind is permanent," Baoche replied, "you do not understand the meaning of its reaching everywhere."
    "What is the meaning of its reaching everywhere?" asked the monk again. The master just kept fanning himself. The monk bowed deeply.

Taigu comments ...

In this video, we look at Dogen's take on practice (fanning) as the only way to manifest awakening (air). Even this little corner of the big Universe is reached and touched by reality itself. No need to take this too far, to travel far, the simple actions of our life, the daily moves we make, the ten thousand activities we display are unfolding this awakening. The simple and bare practice is the Dharma gate. It also shows that tradition matters, we are not asked to get rid of the fan but to pick it up.

Today’s Sit-A-Long video follows at this link. Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 20 to 35 minutes is recommended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwyq4NoKAKk[/video]]

To view other recent talks by Taigu and Jundo, head over to Shambhala Sunspace:

http://www.shambhalasun.com/sunspace/?author=101

Re: SIT-A-LONG with TAIGU: Genjo Koan - Fanning Space

wonderful lesson! Thank you! also wonderful to see this in-house, and flowing unfettered!

Gassho
    Shohei

Thank you Taigu for showing us the way to simply fan and paint clouds in this very moment, with less thinking and more doing!

gassho,
    Jinyu

I apologize to everyone, as I had the posting permissions for this forum set the wrong way, and new posts were not appearing. I think that I have fixed it.

Gassho, Jundo

Ah Yes, thank you Taigu. We do need to remember to fan the faint ember we have sparked from the flint that is our ego so that it becomes a cleansing flame to burn off the dross of what is not pure gold. Thank you for your gentleteaching and yet strong medicine.

Gassho,

Seishin Kyrill

Gassho Jundo and taigu san,

I am a new comer and would love to see the previous genjo koan talks if possible?

_()_ Taigu,
    thank you, our training never ends. I would like to read it myself, is there a translation you recommend ?

Trevor, when at youtube, enter "genjokoan taigu" in the search field and you should find a couple of them,
    but indeed it would be great to walk through all of them one by one.

Hi all,

Yes, you'll find the whole collection of genjokoan talks on Youtube.

A translation? Well, Tanahashi's work (Moon in a Dew Drop and enlightenment unfolds) is the most accessible and yet faithful to the original. For absolute clarity, Mike Cross 's translation is the best. I always work on those two.

gassho

Taigu

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    Hi all,

Yes, you'll find the whole collection of genjokoan talks on Youtube.

A translation? Well, Tanahashi's work (Moon in a Dew Drop and enlightenment unfolds) is the most accessible and yet faithful to the original. For absolute clarity, Mike Cross 's translation is the best. I always work on those two.

gassho

Taigu
    All Taigu's talks, and all the "Sit-a-Longs" are available here in the 'Archives' ... at least going back a few years (some have already faded back into the void) ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/sit-a-long/with ... and-taigu/

Thank you
    _()_
    Peter