Thread: Buddha-Basics (Part IX) — Effortlessly Efforting Right

Buddha-Basics (Part IX) — Effortlessly Efforting Right

The sixth branch of the Eightfold Path is Right Effort, the effort to put into Practice the links of the Path within our life… to keep on keepin’ on. We should be diligent, and stick with it.

We persevere, even those times when we just don’t feel like making the effort. Right Intention is the aspiration to do so, while Right Effort is the will to make the day-by-day slog… But we also learn that, as “Just Sitting” Shikantaza, effort can be effortless, that we move ahead with nowhere to go… that every step of a steep climb is one step, and one step, and one stepa total arriving

CLICK HERE for today’s Sit-A-Long video.

Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 20 to 35 minutes is recommended.
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-30-2017 at 10:20 AM.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

Right effort. Yep! Needed that talk!

..sat2day•
    合掌

Thanks Jundo, a very apt talk to keep the mind focussed at the beginning of the year. It was really cold when I went out to sit in my garage first thing this morning, but your reminder of right effort helped get out there to sit!

Gassho
    Rob

Sat today (cold but motivated!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jundo
    Thanks for the teaching.
    Gassho
    Theophan
    Sat Today

Gracias Jundo, Thank you for all you do. You really make me laugh.

Cyd
    Thank you Jundo
    I needed this Today

Gassho
    Cyd
    Sat2day

Much needed Jundo
    GASSHO 🙏🏻
    Dave
    Sat today

Thank you Jundo. Very motivated

Gassho

"it can be made effortless if we drop the resistance"
    What a beautiful teaching, that can be applied to so much in life.
    Thank you Jundo.

Gassho
    John Miller
    SatToday

I probably should watch this one daily.
    Gassho
    Jakuden
    SatToday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been sitting more this week than I normally would in a month. One thing that seems not to have changed is the impatience that arises from time to time. Earlier today for example, I had a very peaceful sitting session that seemed to flyby, but latter on when I sat in the evening, it just dragged on and on. Its encouraging to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Thank you
    Gassho
    Dan
    sat2day

Quote Originally Posted by Budo-Dan View Post
    I've been sitting more this week than I normally would in a month. One thing that seems not to have changed is the impatience that arises from time to time. Earlier today for example, I had a very peaceful sitting session that seemed to flyby, but latter on when I sat in the evening, it just dragged on and on. Its encouraging to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Thank you
    Gassho
    Dan
    sat2day
    The "little self" does not like to be told to just sit, don't get lost in thought. It is not entertaining to the "little self,". which enjoys flipping constantly from noisy channel to noisy channel of life. That is why Netflix makes so much money.

Zazen does not need a remote control.

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you Jundo!

Gassho
    Dan
    sat2day

"Effortless effort" what a lovely concept. Lately I have been allowing myself to get frustrated... I teach mindfulness meditation at an addiction recovery center in my neighborhood. Some days the center is full of people, and only one person will go to my class, even though I make myself noticeable when announcing that we're about to start. My heart knows that, as the Kabbalah teaches, saving one person is saving a whole world. (And it is always possible that the one person in my classroom will give up next week.) But I want to shake people and yell sometimes... which I do not do. It's a small struggle within my own heart which none of my students will ever see. And perhaps it is good that the others--the non-attenders do not see the ache in my heart for them, who will not reach out and grab this magnificent source of healing and wholeness.

Ah, well... back to the cushion for me. The only one that I can be responsible for is myself--whoever that is.

Thank you for your valuable talk, Jundo.

Gassho,

Hutch

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post

Ah, well... back to the cushion for me. The only one that I can be responsible for is myself--whoever that is.
    Gassho,

Hutch
    Well, others and you are not two but one.

Gassho,
    Geerish.
    ST.

Thank you Jundo. Drop the resistance - it‘s quite hard for me. There are times I am completely convinced that I don‘t resist. But alas! There‘s still resistance, I‘m just not aware of it...

Gassho
    Teiro

sat/lah
    Teiro

Jundo,

Thank you for this teaching. This is something I've struggled with. I think to stop resisting also involves self discipline, which is what we are learning by sitting every day and studying these teachings. Especially, right now during the pandemic where I've been working from home and not taking the best care of my body for example.

Gassho,
    Sat Today
    Brianna