Thread: Buddha-Basics (Part XI) — Zazen-ing Right

Buddha-Basics (Part XI) — Zazen-ing Right

We now come full circle, for the “last” branch of the Eightfold Path is “Right Meditation.” … Zazen

But is it the “last branch” or the the first branch, the core, all branches? For this Path has no beginning, no end… each branch supporting, supported by, and realizing the others.

CLICK HERE for today’s Sit-A-Long video.

Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 15 to 35 minutes is recommended.
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-21-2020 at 03:49 PM.

Gassho
    Lisa
    sat today

The root of the tree

Gassho
    Dave sat today

Wonderful thank you

..sat2day•
    合掌

Thank you

Gassho
    James
    SatToday

Cyd

Cyd
    Sat2day

Thank you Jundo.

Gassho
    John Miller
    SatToday

Is focusing on (whatever task I am doing) wholly and completely, similar to emptying my mind during shikantaza? Any advice (or an example) on how do this?

Thank you Jundo!

Gassho
    Dan
    sat2day

Quote Originally Posted by Budo-Dan View Post
    Is focusing on (whatever task I am doing) wholly and completely, similar to emptying my mind during shikantaza? Any advice (or an example) on how do this?

Thank you Jundo!

Gassho
    Dan
    sat2day
    Yes and no.

Any work practice (we call it "Samu") such as washing the dishes or changing a baby diaper can be a kind of Shikantaza if one forgets thoughts of before or after, puts aside judging the experience as pleasant or unpleasant, take care to do a diligent and good job yet do not force yourself or judge, work to complete the task successfully while simultaneously dropping all goals (we call this "goals-without-goals"), and feels in the bones that such action is the only place to be, the one thing in need of doing, in the whole universe without one thing to add or take away.

On the other hand, you are still doing something and busy, so there is a time to just sit, take the posture and face the wall. Human beings need to sit still for a bit.

Both flavors of Shikantaza ... on and off the cushion ... are vital to our Practice. A time to work, a time to sit.

By the way, here is our lesson on "Samu" for our annual Rohatsu Retreat netcast ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...l=1#post190579

And by by the way, people sometimes misunderstand that they should ... or can ... be in such "mindful/one task at a time" mode all or even much of the time. There is a time for "mindful" ... a time to multi-task ... just as humans do ...

Being mindful of 'mindful'
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...ful-of-mindful

Gassho, J

SatTodayLAH
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-27-2017 at 11:53 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you for answering my question. I appreciate the detailed and insightful responses that you give, makes things a little easier to comprehend.

Gassho
    Dan
    sat2day

Thank you for this teachings, Jundo Roshi. Both the video and the lesson on being mindful of 'mindful':
    And by by the way, people sometimes misunderstand that they should ... or can ... be in such "mindful/one task at a time" mode all or even much of the time. There is a time for "mindful" ... a time to multi-task ... just as humans do ...

Being mindful of 'mindful'
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...ful-of-mindful
    I'm in real need for all these kinds of mindfulness. I need to notice more the arriving of states of mind in myself (especially anger, greed, ignorance and prejudice). I need to focus and be mindful of some activities, doing one thing at a time when driving, eating, drinking tea, preparing classes, reading and writing papers etc. And I also need to bring the zazen mindfulness to my life, even in moments of distress, sadness, anxiety and simple leisure.
    This series is the perfect sequence to the Beginner’s Series. Thank you, sensei.
    Gassho,
    Mateus
    Sat today
    怠努 (Tai Do) - Lazy Effort
    (also known as Mateus )

禅戒一如 (Zen Kai Ichi Nyo) - Zazen and the Precepts are One!

Thank you Jundo.

Gassho

Teiro

Sat Lah
    Teiro