Tugas Gunadarma Gunadarma Tutorial VB.NET Download OST Anime Soundtrack Anime Opening Anime Ending Anime OST Anime Japan Download Lagu Anime Jepang

Thread: Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (Part II)

Hybrid View

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (Part II)

Continuing our series “Zazen for Beginners” (because we’re always beginners) ...

Here’s a basic perspective of Buddhism:

Our mind creates conflict and separation from this life/world because our mind is constantly filled with thoughts dividing this from that, worries and “what if’s“, desires and “if only’s,” judgments of good and bad and high and low, resistance to situations, fears for the future and regrets about the past … all kinds of junk in the mental trunk. In this way, our “self” creates an image of itself separate from, and in frequent conflict with life, the world, everything it considers “not itself” (and even conflict with its image of itself too!)

It is (as the old joke goes) a lot like your self mentally banging yourself with a hammer … Cause it is such a relief when you stop!

Reverse the process … drop the dividing thoughts, the fears and worries, judgments, the likes and dislikes, ideas of past-present-future, resistance and the rest … and all conflicts and separation drop away too. The self is no longer in conflict and isolated from all that it sees as “not the self” … the war is over … and (depending on how much those borders soften or fully drop away) this ’world-life-self-not self-reality’ is known and experienced in very special way(s) too.

Thus, in Shikantaza ‘Just Sitting’ Zazen we sit … allowing thoughts of this, that, past, future and all the rest to drift out of mind.

The hammer is put down.

CLICK HERE for today’s Sit-A-Long video.

[youtube] [/youtube]

Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 15 to 35 minutes is recommended.

Thank you.
    Neika / Ian Adams

寧 Nei - Peaceful/Courteous
    火 Ka - Fire

Look for Buddha outside your own mind, and Buddha becomes the devil. --Dogen

I need to hear this today, you have no idea how much I needed to hear this!! And now, I go and do zazen, thank you.

with metta,
    Treena

Blog Entries
    gassho, Shokai, still learning the way and knowing nothing
    仁道 生開 - Jindo Shokai "Open to life in a benevolent way"
    Just another itinerant monk; go somewhere else to listen to someone who really knows.

Thank you! That was great.

Rick

Hee hee! Yes, I remember a lot of hammering in my head like that! Thank you for the kind reminder!

Ajin
    Last edited by 124578k; 09-20-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Thank you for this lesson Jundo. During my sitting today I could not help but to picture myself with my finger on the blender while hammering away at my skull with my other hand. But in the end I did arise from my zazen practice with a smile on my face .

For those little moments in between...

Josh

Thank you for this talk, Jundo. It has helped me tremendously with "just sitting shikantaza" and understanding what exactly that means--on and off the cushion.

Deep bows to you,
    Joyo