Tugas Gunadarma Gunadarma Tutorial VB.NET Download OST Anime Soundtrack Anime Opening Anime Ending Anime OST Anime Japan Download Lagu Anime Jepang

Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Sit-a-Long with Taigu: Zazen for Beginners (Part XII)

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Sit-a-Long with Taigu: Zazen for Beginners (Part XII)

    Rev. Taigu continues his comments for “beginners” on allowing sitting to just sit … to open, to blossom …

    He talks a bit about legs flowing into the ground, the hands in mudra, the gently closed mouth, where the head is let to head … and other bits of the whole … directing, not ‘doing’ …

    CLICK HERE for today’s Sit-A-Long video.

    [youtube] [/youtube]

    Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 15 to 35 minutes is recommended.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Joyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Sk, Canada
    Posts
    1,012
    Okay, well I"m about 2 years late in this conversation, but I confess I was sitting with a wrong posture. I was not holding my hands in the correct position. I just tried zazen in the correct position and it made a huge difference!! Jundo, I sincerely hope I don't come back as a goat now, you've got me worried If I must come back as a goat, can I at least belong to a vegetarian!!!

    gassho,
    Treena

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
    Okay, well I"m about 2 years late in this conversation, but I confess I was sitting with a wrong posture. I was not holding my hands in the correct position. I just tried zazen in the correct position and it made a huge difference!! Jundo, I sincerely hope I don't come back as a goat now, you've got me worried If I must come back as a goat, can I at least belong to a vegetarian!!!

    gassho,
    Treena

    Never early, never late, right on time Treena.

    Gassho
    Shingen
    真 眼

    As a trainee priest, please take any commentary by me on matters of the Dharma with a pinch of salt.

  4. #4
    Treeleaf Unsui Shokai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sarnia, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,079
    Blog Entries
    119
    gassho, Shokai, still learning the way and knowing nothing
    仁道 生開 - Jindo Shokai "Open to life in a benevolent way"
    Just another itinerant monk; go somewhere else to listen to someone who really knows.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Amelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Marcos, California
    Posts
    1,641
    Ah! Shokai! You've turned around!
    迎 Geika

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    Ah! Shokai! You've turned around!
    Agreed ... Now that we have seen the frontside and the backside, do we get to see the middle side?

    Gassho
    Shingen
    真 眼

    As a trainee priest, please take any commentary by me on matters of the Dharma with a pinch of salt.

  7. #7
    Thank you, senseis, for this wonderful teaching and discussion.

    Gassho,
    Matt

  8. #8
    Senior Member Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    727
    Thought I would share this from Shunryu Suzuki- roshi, from a lecture 1965:

    Suzuki-rōshi:
    Oh, cosmic mudrā. Cosmic mudrā, you know, and your question [are] related. Cosmic mudrā is—this is—to sit is to participate. This is not right word, but to—to participate—self-use of big existence—one whole existence including everything. So this is, you know, one sole existence, the symbol of one big existence including everything. So it is symbol of our practice.

    Gassho
    C

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Thought I would share this from Shunryu Suzuki- roshi, from a lecture 1965:

    Suzuki-rōshi:
    Oh, cosmic mudrā. Cosmic mudrā, you know, and your question [are] related. Cosmic mudrā is—this is—to sit is to participate. This is not right word, but to—to participate—self-use of big existence—one whole existence including everything. So this is, you know, one sole existence, the symbol of one big existence including everything. So it is symbol of our practice.

    Gassho
    C
    I am not always sure when reading Suzuki Roshi what parts are insight and profundity, and what parts are just his struggles with English vocabulary and grammar ... but all lovely nonetheless!

    This quote (as opposed to some of his talks in Zen Mind Beginners Mind and such) seems 80% the former, but something good always comes out even if unintended wording.

    Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-05-2013 at 02:48 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  10. #10
    Senior Member Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    I am not always sure when reading Suzuki Roshi what parts are insight and profundity, and what parts are just his struggles with English vocabulary and grammar ... but all lovely nonetheless!

    This quote (as opposed to some of his talks in Zen Mind Beginners Mind and such) seems 80% the former, but something good always comes out even if unintended wording.

    Gassho, J
    I know what you mean he can seem a bit difficult to understand. To me what I get form this is that we use Cosmic Mudra as a symbol of our practice as in "all is one", but that we also DO it in order to participate with everyone in our practice. ( and not just NOW) I thought this latter part was especially worthwhile.

    Gassho C

  11. #11
    great vid!
    Last edited by atropis88; 02-07-2014 at 05:28 PM.

  12. #12
    Member Nandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    West Palm Beach Florida
    Posts
    54
    Two things: "Rigidity in the jaw is will" and "the shape ( as in shape not condition) of the body while sitting"

    This morning I completely understood the meaning.........


Similar Threads

  1. Sit-a-Long with Taigu: Zazen for Beginners (Part IX)
    By Jundo in forum A SERIES OF TALKS FOR NEW FOLKS
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-19-2014, 07:20 PM
  2. Sit-a-Long with Taigu: Zazen for Beginners (Part VI)
    By Jundo in forum A SERIES OF TALKS FOR NEW FOLKS
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-27-2014, 06:30 PM
  3. Sit-a-Long with Taigu: Zazen for Beginners (Part III)
    By Jundo in forum A SERIES OF TALKS FOR NEW FOLKS
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-02-2014, 08:04 PM
  4. Sit-a-Long with Taigu: Zazen for Beginners (Part XXII)
    By Jundo in forum A SERIES OF TALKS FOR NEW FOLKS
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-04-2014, 03:08 AM
  5. Sit-a-Long with Taigu: Zazen for Beginners (Part XV)
    By Jundo in forum A SERIES OF TALKS FOR NEW FOLKS
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-31-2013, 10:24 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •