Tugas Gunadarma Gunadarma Tutorial VB.NET Download OST Anime Soundtrack Anime Opening Anime Ending Anime OST Anime Japan Download Lagu Anime Jepang

Thread: Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (Part XIII)

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (Part XIII)

More in our series on “How To” Zazen

In “Just Sitting” Zazen Practice, we learn to take life like the weather … Whatever comes, comes.

Thus, we practice sitting on the cushion with energy, dedication and effort … all while dropping all goals, dropping all need to attain, dropping all judgments, dropping all resistance. Each moment on the cushion is complete, sacred, a perfect act, with not one thing to add, not one thing to take away. What is attained thereby is attaining non-attaining.

And in this way, we encounter a way to live with energy, dedication, striving, moving forward in life … all without need to attain, taking all as it comes. Action and stillness, all at once. No separation from life, just as it is. Each moment of life is complete, sacred, with not one thing to add, not one thing to take away … even when not as we think it “should be“, even as we work to make better what needs to be made better.

There is no bad Zazen, not even the “bad” Zazen, when the mind is filled with storming clouds of thoughts and emotions. There is no Zazen that is incomplete, even though we turn again and again to letting the thoughts and emotions drift from mind.

There is no bad weather, even the “bad” weather. The rain is just the rain … the sunshine, just the sunshine … even though we might desire one more than the other. We can put on our boots, seek shelter, even while letting the rain just pour down, sometimes soaking us to the bone. Acceptance, and running for cover, at once!

Likewise, there is no aspect of life that is incomplete, although there are many things about it we may wish to to change, wish were otherwise, must work to repair. Acceptance, and wish for change/working for change, at once!

This is the taste of life … complete even when not as we desire … that we can learn to taste in Shikantaza Zazen.

CLICK HERE for today’s Sit-A-Long video.

[youtube] [/youtube]

Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 15 to 35 minutes is recommended.
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-19-2013 at 04:16 AM.

Re: Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (Part XIII)

Thanks jundo,

I really do enjoy going back to these talks to ground me in the practice. This particular talk makes me realise that letting a situation, feeling, etc just to be is the thing I find hardest and yet I realise that this is the main part of the practice. When sitting I do feel that ahhhhhh releif when I drop the "I" when even for just a moment. My goal of this goaless practice is to become more aware when the"I" is getting involved in trying to make things different to what is and just to let things be.

Gassho

Ray

Thanks for the clear instructions and the constant reminders concerning basic practice. I've been trying to take the teachings off of the cushion and apply them to daily life, but it's not always easy to do. When I'm aware of my judging mind, it is constantly seeing things or situations as good or bad, right or wrong. Hopefully, these judgments will drop away in time, but in the meantime I try not to criticize or berate myself for thinking dualistically.

Quote Originally Posted by kalesi
    ... When I'm aware of my judging mind, it is constantly seeing things or situations as good or bad, right or wrong. Hopefully, these judgments will drop away in time, but in the meantime I try not to criticize or berate myself for thinking dualistically.
    Hi Kalesi,

Yes, they may not fully drop away (although sometimes they will, through and through, and sometimes fully "you" with 'em) ... but with Practice (that's why we call it "Practice" ) you will come to see through all the mind's weather more and more as if translucent, less entrapping. That was the subject on another thread today ...

viewtopic.php?p=77254#p77254

Gassho, J

Thanks for the comment!

I really needed this reminder right "now"; and that was AFTER sitting.
    Gassho
    Clark

Thank you, Jundo, these videos continue to help me with my life, which is my practice

Gassho,
    Treena

Thank you, Jundo.

When we hit the toe against a stone we have two options: cry out all the bad names we know or stand with the pain until it vanishes.
    The pain seems to be easier to bear when we focus in the pain and not in some disturbing emotion that arises.
    Sometimes the pain does not even seems to be pain when we look to it without judgement.

Gassho.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo de Valnisio View Post
    Thank you, Jundo.

When we hit the toe against a stone we have two options: cry out all the bad names we know or stand with the pain until it vanishes.
    The pain seems to be easier to bear when we focus in the pain and not in some disturbing emotion that arises.
    Sometimes the pain does not even seems to be pain when we look to it without judgement.

Gassho.
    Oh, heck, I may swear at the stone or table leg a few times too, even though I know the table or stone is not at fault and too patient to respond. I am not a stone Buddha stubbing my stone toe, but a man of flesh and blood.

However, these days, I try to reach for words like "Oh Marshmallow" or "Darn it" ... especially when my children are in the room.

In the end, I am only cursing the empty air and myself.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

#SAT TODAY!

Marcelo,

Actually there is research that suggests that swearing when we hurt ourselves helps with the pain. So, I wouldn't be so quick to toss them away, but Jundo's point is well taken in regards to kids in the room!

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Ordained Priest -In-Training
    Please take what I say with a grain of salt,
    especially in matters of the Dharma!

Thank you, Jundo and Dosho!

Actually I was referring to the mental state (anger) behind the attitude. I was talking about two options: letting anger take a shape without being aware of it or consciously observe its arising.

Gassho.

Thanks, Jundo. Since joining Treeleaf, I have really locked back into regular practice each day. I love watching these videos and following each one with Zazen.

Gassho,
    Rick

Thank you for these videos and texts. I'm getting into the habit to read and watch one of them each day - during the evening, when I'm home from work. I have no words to describe it, even though I find it sometimes very hard to do, but then I try to watch my irritation build, then dissipate, or not.

Gassho,

Roland
    Last edited by Roland; 03-27-2014 at 10:01 PM.

I'm thankful for this reminder that even if I feel like zazen was "bad" or "not good enough" that it doesn't matter because there's no such thing. Zazen is just zazen.