I want to continue the freeing theme of Rev. Taigu’s several posts in this series on Sitting Posture. We each should find the way(s) right for our own body, and posture is something fluid … changing… often during a single sitting.

So, I am also about to break a cardinal rule upheld by many in the “Soto Zen’ world” (not the first time). However, I hereby officially state that I do not think that the “Lotus” postures (although lovely and balanced if one is able to do them) are necessarily the best postures for most beginners and even most older folk (especially those with older knees, like me!). I suggest the Burmese posture, as shown in the photo above, but seiza, or bench sitting, or even sitting in a chair (if done carefully) can be right for many people.

In fact, true Zazen --is not-- a matter of sitting, standing, walking, running, or flying through the air. Rather, Zazen is any or all of those actions if approached as “Shikantaza” (with that whole philosophy of sincere, dedicated “non-doing” we’ve been talking about every day in this series). As a matter of fact, our Treeleaf Sangha is a place where many folks join us for “sittings” via video and netcast because they are restricted to bed, are in wheelchairs, or are sitting with pain or other such conditions. In that case, I remind everyone that we “sit” wherever and with whatever is. The Buddha, when really very sick, “sat” like this …

As a matter of fact, about the only reason I don’t “sit” that way much of the time is because it is too easy to fall asleep! But, truly, one can sit Zazen anywhere, any time, in almost any situation (a subject we will continue in our next talk, too)

CLICK HERE for today’s Sit-A-Long video.

[youtube] [/youtube]

Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 15 to 35 minutes is recommended.