Tugas Gunadarma Gunadarma Tutorial VB.NET Download OST Anime Soundtrack Anime Opening Anime Ending Anime OST Anime Japan Download Lagu Anime Jepang

Thread: Sit-a-Long with Taigu: Zazen for Beginners (Part XXII)

Sit-a-Long with Taigu: Zazen for Beginners (Part XXII)

Walking Zen.

Rev. Taigu, who walks the walk, talks and walks us through the ways of “walking Zen,” called Kinhin.

What’s the main difference between walking Kinhin and seated Zazen? Well, the first is standing up while the other is sitting down! Other than that, not so much.

Kinhin is typically walked between long sessions of seated Zazen, not only to stretch the legs, but as a practice with the same attitudes of balanced body-mind and diligent non-attaining as all Zazen… walking walking walking ahead vibrantly and sincerely, yet with no place in need of going… no place we can go.

Usually, when the bell rings twice, marking the transition from Zazen to Kinhin, we rise from sitting, face toward our cushion (the Zafu), fluff and straighten it before placing it safely out of the way, bow (Gassho) toward the cushion, turn 180 degrees toward the right and bow toward the open room, then turn (left usually, 90 degrees) and begin Kinhin starting with the right foot. As Taigu will demonstrate, we take about half a step at the top of each breath (although, if walking in line with a group of people, we also try to keep up and evenly spaced with the group too). We walk in an unhurried way, slowly circumambulating the perimeter of the room or seating area, back toward where we began. In the few minutes that we usually walk, however, we likely don’t travel so very far. (Again, distance is not the point.) It is best not to walk directly in front of the Buddha statue in the room, and to give a slight nod of the head in respect if needing to do so. When the bell or clappers mark the end of Kinhin, we quickly move ahead, returning to our sitting place, bowing toward the room, turning right and bowing toward our cushion, then sitting again.

It is as simple as one foot in front of the other!

Today’s Sit-A-Long (or, rather, ‘walk-a-long’) video follows.

[youtube] [/youtube]

Re: Sit-a-Long with Taigu: Zazen for Beginners (Part XXI)

Thank you, Taigu

gassho,
    Ronald

Thank you very much Taigu!

Gassho,
    Gene

Thank you, Taigu

Gassho,
    Fredrik

Actually this video made me find Treeleaf!
    I was looking for kinhin videos on YouTube when I stumbled upon Taigu's great instruction.

Thank you once again!

Gassho,

Timo
    no thing needs to be added

Thanks for this teaching.

Clark

Thank you. I have a question about the hand position. Does it make any difference if the fist is made with the right hand or the left hand? Should it always be with the left hand as shown in the video, or is either hand OK?

Gassho,
    Rick

Rick, before Taigu answers, let me say that this is actually a subject of some disagreement in the Buddhist world. I posted this when the subject came up once, and it quotes an article by the current abbot of Antaiji, Muho Noelke. The subject was specifically the Mudra during Zazen as well as the legs:

In the "introduction to Zazen"... Sawaki Roshi [ states that] " ... . First you should know the difference between two ways of sitting: Gômaza, the "posture that subdues demons", and kichijôza, the "auspicious posture". Even in old texts, there is quite some confusion about the two postures. In short, the right side represents the ascending, active (yang) aspect. The left side represents the descending, passive (yin) aspect. When the right foot rests on the left thigh, that represents the ascending activity that subdues the demons (gômaza). When the left foot rests on the right thigh, that is a descending, passive activity which is auspicious (kichijôza).

Personally, I think the who thing is a bunch of hogwash, based upon bits of ancient Chinese medicine and ideas of Ki, Yin Yang, traditional "left side/right side" ideas and superstitions, and the prejudice of of "right" handed folks against the "sinister" left. It is a quaint idea, nothing more.

Several respected older Western Zen teachers were discussing the article awhile back, and don't see the difference between left and right. I usually favor the right, as I am right handed. It feels strange for to place the hands, for example, with the left hand on the bottom. However, I do not see any magic property in sitting one way or the other. If something feels strange about one side or the other, it is the same strangeness of a left hander trying to play tennis with a right handed grip and visa versa.

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...ll=1#post18272

When we sit, we sit beyond "right vs. left".

Gassho (a gesture made left or right ... and without left or right), Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 09-19-2013 at 05:06 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

#SAT TODAY!

Jundo,

Thank you for your very informative reply!

Gassho,
    Rick