Thread: Reminder: JUKAI 'KICK-OFF' THIS SATURDAY!

Reminder: JUKAI 'KICK-OFF' THIS SATURDAY!

Just a little reminder that the 'starting gun' (not pointed at anyone, of course, because of that Precepts on non-violence! :wink: ) for our JUKAI (UNDERTAKING THE PRECEPTS) preparations will be from THIS SATURDAY ... September 18th.

MOST OF THE ACTION ... THE PRECEPTS STUDY, THE SEWING ... WILL TAKE PLACE IN OUR ...

JUKAI, PRECEPTS STUDY & RAKUSU SEWING FORUM

viewforum.php?f=7

... so keep on looking over there!

We will mark the festivities with our 90 Minute Zazenkai this Saturday ...

viewtopic.php?p=41062#p41062

... so please sit ... and the sew ... along.

Re: Reminder: JUKAI 'KICK-OFF' THIS SATURDAY!

What a timely post. I was just wondering when we were going to begin.

Seona

As previously heard on Treeleaf:

Jukai! Jukai! Jukai!

gassho,
    Chris

Hello,
    I am positively champing at the bit old bean :P

Gassho

Joe

Stephanie

I definitely want to do the Jukai this year.

A question: I want to wait to start sewing the rakusu until when I am back home in Virginia, because I want to follow the tradition I learned when sitting with another group of using scraps of fabric from people whose support has helped you along the path. This would mean I would be starting the rakusu in mid-October. Is that OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie

A question: I want to wait to start sewing the rakusu until when I am back home in Virginia, because I want to follow the tradition I learned when sitting with another group of using scraps of fabric from people whose support has helped you along the path. This would mean I would be starting the rakusu in mid-October. Is that OK?

Hi Stephanie,

I think it should give you enough time, but I'd strongly suggest you work with newer material your first time making a rakusu, or at least material all from one source. Although I have every intention of making more rakusus and kesas in the way you mentioned, the process is much more easily learned on new material that is of consistent size and flexibility. And by new I don't necessarily mean bought from the store as it could be an old bedsheet that hasn't begun to fray (I believe that is what Shohei did). Taigu stressed these points very strongly and, now having worked on both a rakusu and a kesa, I know I wouldn't have developed a good technique trying to use scraps the first time out.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Looking forward to it!
    Started sewing my rakusu this morning.
    Best wishes to all.
    Gassho.

Hi,

Well ... ready, set, GO!

Be sure to catch the 3 new threads in the Jukai Forum ...

viewforum.php?f=7

WELCOME TO THE JUKAI, PRECEPTS STUDY & RAKUSU SEWING FORUM

RAKUSU "SEW-A-LONG" with REV. TAIGU (2010)

PRECEPTS I - JUKAI AND THE THREE REFUGES

A good Jukai to all!

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

I think it should give you enough time, but I'd strongly suggest you work with newer material your first time making a rakusu, or at least material all from one source. Although I have every intention of making more rakusus and kesas in the way you mentioned, the process is much more easily learned on new material that is of consistent size and flexibility. And by new I don't necessarily mean bought from the store as it could be an old bedsheet that hasn't begun to fray (I believe that is what Shohei did). Taigu stressed these points very strongly and, now having worked on both a rakusu and a kesa, I know I wouldn't have developed a good technique trying to use scraps the first time out.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Hi Stephanie,

I agree with what Dosho has said here. If you sew consistently each day, time-wise you should be fine. As for fabric choice - I am pretty handy with needle and thread and am grateful to have used new, uniform fabric for sewing my first rakusu last year. Fabrics that fray easily would not stand up well to the incessant ironing and just general handling that is required of the process. And multiple thicknesses could pose additional challenges to a potentially challenging project the first time out. Happy sewing and see you on the thread Thread!

Gassho, Jikyo

Stephanie

Thank you Dosho and Jikyo, for the sound advice. I will follow it! And set aside some fabric scraps for another rakusu to be made after I've developed some proficiency working with new material first.

Gassho