Thread: Ecumenism

Ecumenism

There is a time of year here when ecumenism (in the sense of "a movement promoting worldwide unity among religions through greater cooperation and improved understanding") is celebrated in services held by different faiths in the community (mosques, churches, synagogues in the main).
    Is there a (view?) here respecting participation in same? Anybody do it/done it?
    Gassho,
    Don

Ps. Aside from Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hahn, I mean.

Re: Ecumenism

Don,

I remember.

I forget.

The path ends where the path began.

My hands are not guiltless.

May all beings (myself?) be free from suffering.

gassho,
    Greg

Happens with me in my little hermitage every day,

Gassho,

Seishin Kyrill
    The Buddhadictine

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    There is a time of year here when ecumenism (in the sense of "a movement promoting worldwide unity among religions through greater cooperation and improved understanding") is celebrated in services held by different faiths in the community (mosques, churches, synagogues in the main).
    Is there a (view?) here respecting participation in same? Anybody do it/done it?
    Gassho,
    Don

Ps. Aside from Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hahn, I mean.
    Hi Don,

Yes, it is respected and encouraged.

All paths up the mountain.

(Zen Buddhism might add 'no place to go, and anyway, what mountain?' Still, 'tis the same mountain).

Gassho, J

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    ... 'tis the same mountain
    And here I was thinking it was an elephant.

Here's one example where it happens regularly, as well; a "Meditator's Conference".

http://www.monasticdialog.com/a.php?id=57

Gassho,
    Don

Hi Don,
    Overlooked this thread while I was away.
    I think I have a story that sort of applies.

For about the last two months I have been meeting regularly at my home with some Mormon missionaries that stopped by. I say regular because we seem to have come to a somewhat humorous kind of religious standoff. For those not familiar with Mormons they are a local (being based in Utah, but global organization) Christian based religion. Part of their practice involves doing missionary work by visiting people to spread their word, and vision of their version of the true way. (my limited understanding of it, not their official word they explain it here: http://www.mormon.org/faq/ )

Anyway, standard practice among many as I know, is to politely listen to their message, then send them on their way. (or slam the door in their face as many also do ) I however on their first visit invited them to sit down for tea, and what transpired was a two plus hour conversation on differing religious beliefs, and tolerance. I call it a stand off now because the gentleman I visited with said he would return until such time as I asked him not too, and I told him that if time allowed I would never turn someone away from my home and a cup of tea, as long as the conversation was civil........and so almost weekly since they have returned. :lol:

So on with my point, I wanted to share this because of the mention of "All paths up the mountain", this statement has been behind the core of my discussions with them, as the words as Jundo has said numerous times stuck with me, and my belief that all humans share a common destination regardless of starting point or the particular path we take to get there. This idea has spurred many (some in excess of three hour) discussions with my new found friends. They are persistent in their view and I honor that, as they also seem to have accepted my chosen path, and at the end of each visit we part ways agreeing to disagree on the finer points of the journey, but overall I have learned that we all share similar common struggles, and this can unite us across religious boundaries if we allow it. The Mormons too have said in their words that they have learned much from talking to me as well, and gained some tolerance to ideas they had never before considered.

I just wanted to say that the experience has been very positive for me, and I may try to seek more understanding of religions in general just as a way of expanding my own tolerance, things are never as scary when you take the time to get to know them it seems.
    A small and humbling victory in my opinion.
    Gassho ~ Dave.

Dave, what a great (and I must admit, humorous) story!

How patient and neighborly of you to follow through on these peoples' visits, thereby turning what many see as an obligatory annoyance into something fun and interesting... nice "hack", as my computer nerd friends might say...

Mandy