Thread: broad living

broad living

Everyone bound by karma,
    speaking of a Buddha-mind "within".

Tied up by this
    I couldn’t find it.

Finally tracked it down,
    showing itself as me.
    These are the living words of Tettsu Gikai ( student of Koun Ejo and Dogen) , uttered now and then. Dropping "within" and "without" requires to drop self and others, practice and family life, dropping differences, boundaries and ideas.

Please don't make anything too holy. It is so easy to over do it. Don't reject any dusty corner. Live like a circle, broad and bright, unmoving yet touching everything. The "you" sitting and the "you" driving, working, eating... are not two.

Take it easy and gently

gassho

Taigu

Re: broad living

Thank you!
    too late and just in time!

Gassho
    Shohei

Shohei, you are welcome.

Most people don't see the point of such a teaching. It is not flashy, has no philosophical edge to it, boring as hell...
    It is nevertheless so important. Once people truly penetrate the hardship of practice, they see these words of Gikai in a complete different light.
    The last line shows how it reveals itself effortlessly.

gassho

Taigu

Thanks for this Taigu.
    I was reciting the metta chant when I realised that the most difficult person I know is me!
    This quote helps point out why that maybe so.

Gassho Nigel

Yes, thank you Taigu. This reminds me of when I was young and was told that everything is meditation. As a result I spent years desperately trying to 'meditate' as I was doing anything - washing up, exercising, walking the dog, whatever. It was years before I found out that it meant it was already there - as Rev Jundo and yourself keep saying ; nothing to strive for, nothing to change, all right here. Thanks again.

Gassho

Joe

Hi.

_/_
    Thank you!

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Hi Taigu!
    Thank you for this simple and very beautiful quote of Gikai!
    He expresses so widely in just these few phrases... very touching really!

deep gassho,
    Luis/Jinyu
    ps: I had a professor of Theatre who used to say, with his voice full of admiration: "In Shakespeare there is not a single word to add, in Racine there is not a single word to take off."

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu
    Most people don't see the point of such a teaching. It is not flashy, has no philosophical edge to it, boring as hell...
    That's why I loved it--nice and simple and direct! The perfect first thing to have read this Sunday morning.

Gassho,

Jennifer

Hello all,

Very powerful words indeed! Thank you...I needed to hear this, on this day as I struggled to sit.

_/_

Kelly/Jinmei

Stephanie

Clear words, thank you Taigu.

I am quite apt to pass over the dusty corners, looking for that one spot on the wall where the light is perfect... missing out on the perfect light in the perfectly dusty corner. A timely reminder... Gassho

Dear Taigu,

Live like a circle, broad and bright, unmoving yet touching everything.
    Beautiful, simple - my kind of teaching. Thank you.

Gassho, Jikyo

Shohei, you are welcome.

It is nevertheless so important.
    As I read this it occured to me that if a person does not see the point of this teaching, it is likely because they are looking for something magic and impressive to happen that will forever change the way they look at things. But if you can get over the idea of there needing to be "something other than" you might find yourself with your eyebrows tangled with Tettsu Gikai. Then we can live broadly, touching everything and at the same time, staying unique.

Thank you Taigu!
    Even the teachings can build concepts to block our way. With ease and gentle allowing dropping dropped. Gassho zak

Everyone bound by karma,
    speaking of a Buddha-mind "within".

Tied up by this
    I couldn’t find it.

Finally tracked it down,
    showing itself as me.
    These are the living words of Tettsu Gikai ( student of Koun Ejo and Dogen) , uttered now and then. Dropping "within" and "without" requires to drop self and others, practice and family life, dropping differences, boundaries and ideas.

Please don't make anything too holy. It is so easy to over do it. Don't reject any dusty corner. Live like a circle, broad and bright, unmoving yet touching everything. The "you" sitting and the "you" driving, working, eating... are not two.

Take it easy and gently

gassho

Taigu
    Taigu, you are so cool. thanks for the reminder.
    /Rich

Just adding my voice to the "Thank You" chorus.

Yugen

Taigu and all,
    Thank you

Yugen